PDA

View Full Version : Become a winter swimmer

GetdareTEO
10-23-2010, 08:32 AM
At some point, where you think that the water at the beach is freezing cold, but there are still people on the beach, go to the beach, and place your stuff (towel, clothes etc. as far away from the jetty (bridge where you can go in the water) as possible. Go out to the end of the jetty (wearing only bathing suit and don't bring towel or anything else).
Now take off your entire swimsuit, and throw it as far away from the bridge as possible (in the water)! Now you have the choice to jump in the cold water and get it, or run all the way back to your stuff completely nude!!! :eek:

Bethany
10-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Thats dangerous you know.... If the waters cold the weather would be cold equals a chance of Hypothermia

GetdareTEO
10-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah I guess 444 is right. You know, there's already winter swimmers outthere, and some people say that it should be healthy. Of course the idea is not to stand there for an hour in -15 degrees and freeze to death :( I thought about autumn and then just do it quick (you know, the more time you use to chose your faith, the more time you stand there completely exposed to the world :eek: ) But always remember to take care of yourself ;)

b0ris
10-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Oh! very nice dare Evil One.

I so am going to do this sooner or later.

@Bethany/444: I am somewhat of an experienced "cold plunger".

@all others: reducing the dare to simply taking a dip in the cold water is a good and safe start: An ice-water dip of about 5 seconds (= in-and-out) has no ill effect what so ever, unless you have a very weak hart and a high blood pressure to start with. Anyone healthy can do that.
To really feel something, you'd have to stay at least 30s: that is a challenge. Make sure you are well warmed up (by running for example). After the plunge, immediately dry off and get dressed in warm dry clothes.
As with everything, winter swimming improves with training. Some get very far: check out YouTube for the videos of Yukinkoasuka‬‎...

sweetsong
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Yeah. People in Alaska do way colder longer swims and they manage. o.o

I've gone in the Pacific Ocean in the winter and my legs went numb but you can still get out okay. :P Now I live on the Atlantic and while it does get cold in the winter, it's never "freezing."

metzgermeister
10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Make sure you eat plenty of carbs before you try this to keep yourself warm.
And have someone on shore waiting for you with a flask of soup and a blanket. :D

Imwells00
06-23-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm new here how do I start a new thread I know I'm probably just being dump but please help