PDA

View Full Version : IMG codes

Powerstrip
11-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to get this image as my sig, prompted by another thread:

Spell.gif (http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9005/spellrv8.gif)

However, I don't know how the forum software works. I'm not great on HTML, but succesful googling pointed me to using either side of the link, but it does not work.

When I try and use the signature upload option, it says that the file is too big. It is 60kb, whereas the forum software says that 19.8kb is the limit. Surely that's a bit too small?

Sum
11-13-2007, 07:17 AM
I think you're making it too complex on yourself, i believe all you need to do is copy and paste the url form the address bar of that image into where it says on your signature edit page Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website. Be sure to delete the http://www. that's allready down in there, as your link will allready have these

lucky
11-13-2007, 07:30 AM
I think you're making it too complex on yourself, i believe all you need to do is copy and paste the url form the address bar of that image into where it says on your signature edit page Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website. Be sure to delete the http://www. that's already down in there, as your link will already have these

I've tried this to help but it doesn't work. Same 19k restriction.
Its the photo too big, I don't think it can be redone, shrinking it to 19k but I can give it a try.

Sum
11-13-2007, 07:39 AM
hmm yeah looking at it i doubt you could optimise it down to 19k, it's an animated gif so it'll come up big as it's multiple frames (multiple images) might have a go in photoshop to see what i can do with it, but doubt it'll work. will edit this post with results
--edit--
got it down to 48k form about 58k, don't think it's going to happen.
Why's there a size limit on images form external sites, it doesn't affect getdare's bandwidth? (or was i misreading the previous post)

lucky
11-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm actually redrawing it... Powerstrip you'd owe me a beer if I finish it and works.

Edit: Its my pleasure doing this kind of stuff too bad I have to leave so maybe I'll send it later

lucky
11-13-2007, 08:16 AM
yeah, its hard: this part has 17k I'm not sure I can rebuild the whole image in just 19k but I will continue it later.

I've added to my signature just for preview. I'll remove it later

Powerstrip
11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
One panel short :P

That's amazing though, it looks very similar to the original and yet its a third of the size.

You're a genius :)

I can send you an online beer :)

lucky
11-13-2007, 01:35 PM
actually I've redrawn, retyped the text, just jumped a lot of frames and made another different gif. I thought I should shrink it a bit but I can use the original size just by enlarging the background black rectangle if needed, really wanted to hear your opinion.

Back to the drawing board...

I'm continuing working now and suggestion: may I use this signature for myself? and spread it to others with the same opinion so we would get military into it?

lucky
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
signature ready! thanks Powerstrip, great idea! I suggest anyone else wanting this to happen: add this photo to your signature.

I'm keeping it to my signature until Powerstrip wants me to remove, it was his idea in the first place.

kc101
11-13-2007, 02:36 PM
wow scary :o i just saw the exact same animation on another forum

lucky
11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
well among us I am sure it sticks just right. Its not the same banner, I've worked of an imitation. Don't dare me so I'd make a different one with the same message, I'd loose my whole week in this.

...the idea matters most

Powerstrip
11-13-2007, 03:13 PM
That was the plan anyway, to get as many people using this so that we don't have the posts full of odd bits of lettering all over the place that the original poster intended to be some form of communication that none of us can understand.

Come one, come all and use this in your signature!

depp
11-14-2007, 06:59 PM
The reason the file sizes are limited on things like avatars and sigs is because users are forced to download them when they load your posts. People on slow conenctions would have a hard time with 60k extra per page. Imagine if you had a whole page of 60k avatars and sigs. I know it is a tight fit but it is there for a good reason.

Glad to see it worked out for you! Nice animation!

Powerstrip
11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
With the advent of broadband....But fair enough, problem solved.

Off topic, sum1(2), I feel the pain of your dp aswell.....It needs to be brought back. Mininova and TPB just aren't on a par.