PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it fresh

depravedChattel
07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
In trying to write stories for this site, I found that it's kind of hard to make original erotic scenes. I mean, the first time it came easy enough but for the next part I realized I was repeating myself a fair bit. In my case, there are only so many ways to describe foot worship (just not enough adjectives for smelly things!). I found myself sort of handwaving the sexy bits when they should be more or less the focus, they are what keeps people reading.

Now, I realize the trick is to not focus on just one thing but to have the characters do different activities each time, but there is a limit and after a while it starts to be a bit tedious. So I ask you, how do you write erotic scenes and keep them fresh, different each time. New and exciting, you know.

kearns
07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
First of all I try to mix up my word use. Instead of just using the word "smelly," I'll use different synonyms. I'll even use a rather childish word like "stinky" in dialogue because for me, that word has sexual connotations. I definitely try to make sure I'm not using the same word too many times. Personally I have a wide enough vocabulary that I often don't need a thesaurus, but I don't know you, so maybe you could use one.

Second of all I try to have an overarching element to my erotic stories. For instance, my "Blackmailed Slaves" story came about from my interest in blackmail and this idea of two girls getting blackmailed by a neighbor. Admittedly (and this is something I've never mentioned before) it's a story I, uh... masturbated to. Yeah, it's one of those stories. But one night I decided to write it out, and I came up with a fairly decent story a lot of people like. From there, I just use my imagination. There's only so many times the slavegirls in my stories could worship their owner's pussy, so I try and put them in other highly erotic situations as well. I just use my imagination. Sometimes ideas for stuff to do with them just pop into my mind as I'm writing it. However, I do try to have a certain focus for a section, almost like a theme. For one section it might be body worship, mixed with panties and pee play. The next section may detail the slaves' daily routine (something I enjoy, personally) and another fetish of mine. I try to keep things fresh by heightening the "eroticness" of the situation and thinking of really perverted things no or few people have thought of before. Sometimes I also take things from other erotic stories I've read and try to incorporate it into my own.

I'd write more, but I'm with friends right now. I hope that above helps a little bit, though.

depravedChattel
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I have a big enough vocabulary to not use the same word over and over. But my problem was that I quickly exhausted synonyms and consulting a thesaurus for more obscure words seemed a bit... pretentious. I guess my problem was just trying to do the same thing twice. I tried to limit the story to just one theme (feet) and for anything more than one part that was a mistake.

kearns
07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't base my whole story around JUST a foot fetish unless it was just a one-part story kinda deal. With erotic stories I feel you have to always be changing it around, introducing new stuff or new ways to look at fetishes, etc.

Yeah, don't ever use words where the reader can tell you pulled it right from a thesaurus. My general rule is, if I wouldn't say it in everyday conversation or even in a school paper, don't say it. And it's okay to use words more than once as long as they're spaced out properly.

chubbsman7
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
This is a problem I oft face when editing and writing.

For instance, one of the greatest tragedies ever created was the word "said." To keep your writing fresh, thinking about the manner in which the word was said, to whom, and other details included in the lines.

For adjectives... well, I'd just go to a dictionary website. My computer has a full dictionary installed on it as a seperate program. I'd look up to that, or at least use word or some other program. There's lots of ways to change up your writing.

As for me, I have my own little interesting ways of making a scene sexy. One way is to (if at an appropriate place in the story), suddenly switch up the point of view without telling the reader. Another thing about writing is you abolutely CANNOT make every scene sexy or stimulating. It's impossible. Well, it's not, but when read from a viewer's point of view... it seems pretty retarded that you're concentrating on the person's polka dotted panties as they're walking into a gas station to pay for gas. Unless it actually has effect on the story, even in a minor way, try to keep it out. Of course, this doesn't apply for everything, as I like to add as much detail as possible. Now, if the panties were plainly viewable from almost any angle, that'd be another thing.

Try building up to a scene, add little details about something. A scene where a girl kisses another girl at first doesn't seem stimulating or sexy, but if you detail it up in previous installments or lines that she's always been curious but afraid to try swinging the other direction (kissing another girl), it makes the scene that much sexier.

I figure I've rambled on enough, so I'll leave you with some of those thoughts. :p

depravedChattel
07-31-2010, 09:45 PM
"Said" is a tricky beast. It's incredibly bland, but versatile. You don't want to sound like a moron and never use it, and do things like " 'I don't think so,' he blathered" or " 'Nah,' he vocalized" all the time. That gets really tiring. I kind of feel like it should be your go to talking verb unless it doesn't convey the right emotion. Also, on a tangentially related note, excessive use of adverbs is annoying?

I'm not really fond of perspective switches. They get confusing, especially when done sporadically. I don't really even like them when it's structured (I read a book once where it would go one chapter from one character's first person perspective, then the next third person limited following another character. It got old really fast)

I think you're right about the tension thing. I can build up the tension once for one scene, and then it's all out and there's no tension left any more (wow that came out dirty!). So maybe I suck at multi-part stories then?

kearns
07-31-2010, 11:35 PM
"Said" is a great word when used correctly, but overuse and underuse of it could make a passage's reading awkward. Generally I use when either there's no specific emotion or action I can describe instead. I try and limit my use of it to twice each two paragraphs or so, however. Another trick I use is not to use "said" or any other word in place of "said" at all. Rather, I simply write the line of dialogue in quotes (don't forget quotes!) and leave it at that.

For example:

"Kelsey, pick up that water bottle," Emma said.

Becomes...

"Kelsey, pick up that water bottle."

You already said "Kelsey" at the start of the sentence, so why bother having to mention that Emma said that again? In fact, you don't even have to mention a character's name first.

An example of a simple conversation:

"Move the bed this way."
"Sure, no problem. Where do you want it?"
"Right over there, next to the chair."
"I could that," Kelsey said. "But wouldn't it be better near the window?"

First of all, you hide the word "said" in the middle of the conversation, then don't let the reader dwell on it by immediately adding another line of dialogue after it (also helps to break dialogue up and is an illusion of pauses in natural dialogue). The reader should be able to figure out who's talking through context. If Kelsey got Emma to move furniture around for her, then it'd be obvious that she'd be directing the conversation and where she wants the furniture to go.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a fan of perspective switches. Choose your perspective before you begin writing the story, and stick to it.

Every sentence can't be erotic, that's correct. However, I do try to maximize the "sexiness" of an action when something erotic does come up. For example, because I have a panties fetish and I know many other people do too, I actually go out of my way to describe what a character's wearing. I wanna know what style of underwear they're wearing, and what color it is, and maybe any special features it has. But that's just me... maybe for you it's boring and not your thing.

Another thing I watch out for is how overdone a plot is. It's one reason why I hate Truth or Dare stories- it's always the same. Boy gets girl to play Truth or Dare. Girl dares boy to crossdress. Boy puts on female clothing and walks around town and nobody notices it's really a guy (alternate storylines: he's noticed and either is forced to give blowjobs to high school jocks he randomly meets on a street who always pull up in a car, or he gets blackmailed by a random beautiful girl who pulls a camera out of nowhere and snaps a picture before the boy can do anything about it).

Anyways, the point is not to go in the same direction everyone else is going. For once I agree with the emos and the hippies: "be non-conformist, man." If I can't think of something erotic that would be even somewhat different than what other people have written, I don't put it in my stories.