PDA

View Full Version : Admins replying OMG!

jackdaniel
10-10-2007, 05:25 PM
OMG!

I really had never expected that.
I find it highly unprofessional if an administrator interferes with the general talk and chat of the members.
Lets take a little example:

I go to youtube.com and write in some chat under a video, that i think youtube sucks and i really hate everyone in there including the admins.
Would an admin get angry and reply to my post? Tell me to fuck off?
I think not. Now why is that. Well that's of the simple reason that youtube is a highly professional website. It is an under department of Google Inc. which is one the biggest and most successful computer industries in the world.

You can compare it to going to a little local motel in the middle of the highway, called Johns Motel or something like that. If I called his motel shit and said nasty things about it all and so on. Really complaining rudely. Then he'd probably get pissed and throw me out.
Imagine the same situation on a Hilton hotel. They would probably say something like:
We're truly sorry you're not satisfied with our service Sir. Please fill out this
questionnaire, so we can get a better overview of what you don't like.

Then they'd give me a standard questionnaire with questions like. How do you like the cleaning: Good, okay, bad
Do you find the staff helpful: Yes indeed, yes, no, not at all!
And so on.

This is due to the difference of professionality between those two places.
John's Motel and Hilton.

Conclusion:
If you think you can ever become a big, I mean really big site, by telling people who annoys you or you just don't like, that they should fuck off, then I think you know way to little about how you treat customers in the business world..

Mod Edit: Link Removed

Tinkerbell_Baby
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Sorry to be rude but what is it with you? You are always critisizing the staff, site and members. What will it take to get you happy?

jackdaniel
10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Hehe :)

naah it's a big discussion that has been running for the last couple of days. Started with a comment i posted, people then replied to it, and the discussion grew into an argument.
Then the admin called me a bitch which of course i did not like so i just pointed out for him that i didn't that it's a very professional thing to do.

That's all. Well of course it's pretty much:cool: , but that's all I can say for my defense :)

Manbearpig
10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
why wouldn't the staff interact. it's their site too. many of them have been promoted from regular users to staff members. and depp and chaing have always been around and talking. they get feedback from people.

by the way

DON'T SPAM!!!!

Also, i am now adding this:

If people don't like this site, then leave without making a huge deal. Now if someone has been a long time member, maybe such as deep=noob=lol or Rob when they left, then say ur goodbye. ever since the whole Tessdog incedent back in march, people have been wanting to say how this site should be run. I love how this site is run. people can say something, and whether or not depp and the other mods like, it might or might not be done. i mean, we have a story section, a chat , and the site has been doing well. If they dont like it, make ur own site and don't post it cuz its aganist the rules ;)

Another Edit: I also like depp cuz he tells it the way he sees it ;)

chain
10-10-2007, 06:37 PM
A few things you must realize: I was once a normal member like yourself. I followed the rules and made suggestions and I was promoted to mod. Later, Depp saw the need to appoint an admin in case everything went to Hell. Due to whatever Depp saw in me he appointed me to admin. Just follow the rules and give constructive criticism, be friendly, and good stuff can happen to you too. The staff works tirelessly on this site. We have to fix a ton of posts, then work on improving the site and taking the the Mod Area. By this time we are out of energy and time, and really don't contribute to the normal threads. We do way more than you think. Also, publically criticizing mods won't make you anyone's favorite person. If you think a mod has messed up somewhere, either PM the mod, Depp, or make a thread on it, considering that it is for a vaid reason, and not just a rant thread. Running the site is not easy, and we appreciate suggestions. I recently opened a suggestion thread and another thread to rate the staff. Also, the problems on the site keep getting bigger and more numerous, while the number of mods decrease. Also, our active mods number is lower than ever. I'd place money on the majority of our users enjoying this site. If you feel a need to hate go ahead, but it won't be welcomed here unless oyu have suggestions. Sometimes, people need to be told to just fuck off, no matter what your situation. I am confident that this site will grow large and strong, as that's all the site has been doing since I joined in July of '05. My advice: a) Shut the hell up and enjoy the site b) shut the hell up and leave the site. I'm not a fan of locking threads, so I'll leave it open, but Depp or anyone else feel free to lock it.

SubMissChievous
10-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Hehe :)

naah it's a big discussion that has been running for the last couple of days. Started with a comment i posted, people then replied to it, and the discussion grew into an argument.
Then the admin called me a bitch which of course i did not like so i just pointed out for him that i didn't that it's a very professional thing to do.

That's all. Well of course it's pretty much:cool: , but that's all I can say for my defense :)
The "discussion" that jackdaniel is referring to started with a comment that I have made under another thread. Jackdaniel, there was never ever any discussion. You have used one of my post to start an argument about the slave/master forum rules... You don't agree with them? Fine! You're entitled to your opinion. But I don't appreciate you whining over & over again about this. If you don't agree or think you know better all you have to do is speak directly to the getdare staff about it & stop thrashing the site & the people who work hard on making it a damn good one!

xxxMichellexxx
10-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Admins replying, OMG their members too!

Personaly I'm getting sick of you. This whole discussion started off when I deleted someone's post in the S/M section because that user was 14, which is a violation of the rules. Seriously, you don't like the rules or the way this site runs, then either make friendly suggestions, (NOT cristisms) or to quote depp If you want to bitch, leave.

x_daringbaby
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I like how the mods run the site. It keeps it clean. I honestly don't mind not using the s/m section, and when my thread gets locked, I get a pm that tells me why, and it's understandable so I learn not to do that again.

MasterPain
10-10-2007, 11:54 PM
i think the powers that be should full IP ban this guy...
mods are members too and i have been on many sites where the mods are members...

me thinks he had a long in name banned because he couldn't get n00ds.

oh an jack, i think it is time to log off, go to a ice cream shop or something see how the real world works then come back.

if you think that the mods should just clean things up and not post..

well buddy thats not how it works in the real world..
the principal in the school, was a teacher, the teachers were students.

the bosses you work for WAS an a worker under someone before, they just followed the rules well, and was trusted with more responsibility.

no one pays the mods here(on youtube and other really large sites the mods GET PAID) and i guarantee that the mods have member accounts just to have fun or why else would they be on the site to begin with?

depp
10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
This is not youtube.com. This is a moderated discussion and resource site. I run things the way I like.

MasterPain
10-11-2007, 12:47 AM
i like it just fine!

Sum
10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
I think as well that it's good that the admins take an active and full part on the site, it of course means replying to things, they are, after all part of the community.
Your example youtube to me is a completely incorrect analogy, appart from the fact i'm not even sure youtube has human admins checking over comments, google does have quite a high automation on help issues, you can find yourself going around in circles trapped in their toubleshooting scrips with no way of finding a human... i digress...
yes youtube has user generated content, but it's a money making operation, the admins get paid to do things, and, visa-versa paid not to do things. A better analogy would be to compare this place to wikipedia, user generated content, users who are promoted to be admins (it's a community based site, rather than a business orientated one) and if you think the admins here are harsh with people, just have a look through some of the talk pages of some of the users who have been kicked form wiki! It shows they care about the site they work with (even if this means that things can get heated) rather than careing about money from the site they work for

Looking4somename
10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
this is a forum. mods are just regular members with some management access to help organize the forum.
They are just like every other member, only they have a few more responsibilites. that's it.

If you don't like it this way, feel free to.. as you put it.. fuck off.

Smile Guy
10-28-2007, 12:09 PM
None of the moderators and admin are paid any money for their services. They're allowed to enjoy what they volunteer to do surely! Because as you say, getDare is not a corporation-run company but we do want to make it big!