Benefits:

Relieves demand on staff having to respond to such requests
Allow users to feel as though they are in control of their own threads
Will reduce "bumping" of old threads which have been closed by the creator

Problematic issues

Users may open threads closed by GetDare staff

Possible Solutions

Prevent users being able to override a staff lock
Implement new rules prohibiting opening of threads closed by staff, and enforce heavy penalties for violation of said rule

Anyone have anything to add? Comments, concerns?

BettyBoop
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I think the idea, is interesting but not generally necessary regarding the first point, and the third.
It's not that hard for us to close threads, but it might be hard and time consuming for depp to make this for the site.

Slenderman - Doctor
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
It's not on any other forum (that I know of anyway) so why put it here? Bumping won't be affected. I would never close of my old threads because there's potential for them to be revived in a decent manner. And how would you know when to lock it? You never know when someone will bump it, good or bad. Even some 2007 threads may have the potential to be discussed if someone ever had something really interesting to note.

I'm on "no" here.

JCull
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I think the idea, is interesting but not generally necessary regarding the first point, and the third.
It's not that hard for us to close threads, but it might be hard and time consuming for depp to make this for the site.

Thats a good point, however even if this was implemented only in the S/M section to close old ads it would be good. I am an admin on a vB site and I know the permissions allow such a configuration. Maybe Deep could look into granting this permission to the creator of an ad?

JCull
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
It's not on any other forum (that I know of anyway) so why put it here? Bumping won't be affected. I would never close of my old threads because there's potential for them to be revived in a decent manner. And how would you know when to lock it? You never know when someone will bump it, good or bad. Even some 2007 threads may have the potential to be discussed if someone ever had something really interesting to note.

I'm on "no" here.

Im talking more about ads to be closed when they are done.

Although I appreciate you taking a firm stance on the subject.

Slenderman - Doctor
05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Im talking more about ads to be closed when they are done.

Although I appreciate you taking a firm stance on the subject.

I didn't see that part. But there, I would agree.

If this was in the SM forum only, I think it'd be great. Elsewhere, not so. :)