PDA

View Full Version : Why?

maxim
03-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Is it that we all post a story in parts instead of just posting one long story?
Besides mearly wanting higher post count?

Star Shadows
03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
There are quite a lot of reasons really I think, or for mine anyway.
... my stories for one are about 2 A4 pages per chapt that I post, if you were to post all of it in one massive great thread then people would get a way through it and become uninterested because there is simply SO much of it.

It also gives both the reader and author time for respite. To write a whole story or read a whole story in one go is difficult.

The one i find most important is that if you post it in segments you can guage the reaction of the people following your story so if they like a certain thing you said but not another then you can veer away from the things that the vast majority would not like.

greatsayaman
03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
There are quite a lot of reasons really I think, or for mine anyway.
... my stories for one are about 2 A4 pages per chapt that I post, if you were to post all of it in one massive great thread then people would get a way through it and become uninterested because there is simply SO much of it.

It also gives both the reader and author time for respite. To write a whole story or read a whole story in one go is difficult.

The one i find most important is that if you post it in segments you can guage the reaction of the people following your story so if they like a certain thing you said but not another then you can veer away from the things that the vast majority would not like.

Perfectly explained. =)

maxim
03-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Haha, Great reply! I was just wondering. I'm not a gigantic writer so I wanted to pick up on some skills:)

Lizard
03-05-2010, 09:31 PM

This implies that you haven't written the whole story at once. I don't get annoyed so much by the serial nature of a story over multiple postings as I do by the inconsistencies that are the result of writing, and then posting, a small segment of the story before the entire story is written. I'm surprised that people don't want to take the time to write, and rewrite, their stories to get them just right before posting. Whether they chose to post all at once, or as a serial is then not relevant.

I also believe that an author should write and publish stories regardless of what the readers think, like or dislike. For me, I write what I think tells a good tale, not what I think people will like to read. No story is going to be a hit with every reader.

To answer the original question: I personally believe that, at least on this site, most of the stories that are posted bits at a time are done so because the author is writing the story in the text box as they go. Very few stories that have been posted serially seem to have been written completely and posted over time. The evidence for this is the number of stories that have only a paragraph or two in the first posting followed by nothing but "hey keep going" comments.

As for the comment about posting a large story that might be 'too much' to digest, I have to disagree. If the story is good, and the reader is unable to finish it in one sitting, they'll come back and finish.

Liz

greatsayaman
03-06-2010, 02:35 AM
This implies that you haven't written the whole story at once.

As for the comment about posting a large story that might be 'too much' to digest, I have to disagree. If the story is good, and the reader is unable to finish it in one sitting, they'll come back and finish.

Liz

1. I wrote my story all at once, but I separated it into chapters over a few days. I wanted people to both be kept interested in the suspense, and not to be discouraged by a massive wall of text.
In that regard, are you saying JK Rowling should have written all of the Harry Potter books at once, slammed them into a gigantic tome, and sold it all at once? For amateur writers, it's the same kind of deal, especially in the one forum post.

2. Not everyone sees a huge slab of text as "exciting," Liz. Actually, we're rare. And we should adapt to what others do. Otherwise... well honestly, you're scum for thinking your way is the right way, and having no consideration for others. ^^ It's easier to get a flavour for a story after reading one chapter, and it looks nicer when it's separated. It seems less... threatening?

Lizard
03-06-2010, 02:32 PM
In that regard, are you saying JK Rowling should have written all of the Harry Potter books at once, slammed them into a gigantic tome, and sold it all at once? For amateur writers, it's the same kind of deal, especially in the one forum post.

No, you missed my point. Rowling, or any other book author, does exactly what I was alluding to; they write a complete story (in their case a book) before publishing any of it. By doing so they ensure that there is consistency from the beginning to the end of the story.

maxim
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
No, you missed my point. Rowling, or any other book author, do exactly what I was alluding to; they write a complete story (in their case a book) before publishing any of it. By doing so they ensure that there is consistency from the beginning to the end of the story.
I agree. That's th ebest way to write a story that way you can go and read over it and add more details before you post/publish it.

greatsayaman
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
No, you missed my point. Rowling, or any other book author, does exactly what I was alluding to; they write a complete story (in their case a book) before publishing any of it. By doing so they ensure that there is consistency from the beginning to the end of the story.

I got your point.
But if you're a talented enough writer, there won't be any plot holes, anyway. If you've no confidence in your writing, then don't write at all. ;D
My point is, the size of the story, all in one, can be discouraging. Some people may think "this'll take too long," others "this is too much..." But when it's in different posts, you can say "ok I left off at post #6, I'll read more next time." And that's that.

cheesey923
03-06-2010, 11:48 PM
i think that the story should all be written at once not in a post but overall tha that way it can be changed to be more interesting or simply to keep suspense up but write as you go stories never seem to be as good.