PDA

View Full Version : A way to increase quanity & quality of posts?

Comeintotheparlor
12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I was thinking, that if we were to have an award at a regular interval for "best poster" it could increase the amount of posts and the quality of posts.

A lot of stuff would have to be worked out, but what is your opinion on it? yay or nay?

andrew_b
12-14-2009, 10:30 PM
i like the idea, you could have best story of the week/month etc, instead of being every year. I know I would write better if I had something to write for.

Comeintotheparlor
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
i like the idea, you could have best story of the week/month etc, instead of being every year. I know I would write better if I had something to write for.

I was thinking month :]

people could offer prizes, it might be as little as making a banner or avatar. Surely we could get something like that .Maybe a little paragraph somewhere saying why they got it...

Hell, I'd even run it myself, as long as I know I'm not doing this in vain.

Manbearpig
12-14-2009, 11:23 PM
We have had awards before. They sound good, but they aren't. I am sure if you look hard enough, you will see what has happened. But I will let you discuss. But they are not coming back (at least I don't think)

depp
12-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not totially against awards again. In fact, after the next big redesign, we will be in a better position to offer some nice prizes. ;)

BettyBoop
12-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Maybe it'll end up with people thinking
"If I post a lot I'll get the award"
Leading to many mindless piece-of-crap posts everywhere.
Just a maybe though.

Slenderman - Doctor
12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
It works in theory. Sorta.

Another idea to encourage better posting is positive-only rep. You can give rep to people but you can only give out positive rep. This could start arguments and jealousy but, in theory, it should tell certain members to buck up their ideas and aim for more rep.

But meh.

Depp, sounds interesting!

lokelake
12-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Another idea to encourage better posting is positive-only rep. You can give rep to people but you can only give out positive rep. This could start arguments and jealousy but, in theory, it should tell certain members to buck up their ideas and aim for more rep.

But meh.

I actually like your idea Marvin.

andrew_b
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
yeah i think a banner in your signature would be a good idea, would mean that people might read your stories more

BettyBoop
12-15-2009, 01:16 PM

But meh.

That actually sounds like a good idea, so nobody could get negative rep just because someone "doesn't like them". If something is that bad, it'll be reported.

maxim
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Yes Marvin but that also leads back to popularity standings here..

BettyBoop
12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I doubt people would randomly give people rep on a comment just because they like them. I wouldn't. I'd do it because the post was a particularly good one.

depp
12-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I do plan on bringing rep back at some point. It will be mostly the same setup as is currently on KinkTalk where you can only give positive comments.

Slenderman - Doctor
12-16-2009, 11:57 AM

What Bella said...

I doubt people would randomly give people rep on a comment just because they like them. I wouldn't. I'd do it because the post was a particularly good one.

I do plan on bringing rep back at some point. It will be mostly the same setup as is currently on KinkTalk where you can only give positive comments.

I look forward to it :)

Rallusoi
12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Although I am a new member, I'm glad and encouraged to see that there are many people who truly try to improve the website so that everyone will have a better experience. I hope that I'll be able to contribute in the future, too. Thank you.

maxim
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Sounds great! I'm ready I love it when te site gets redisinses

evilassassin00
12-20-2009, 01:09 AM
I think every forum based site on the net has come across this problem over time.

On decreasing the number of (crap) posts:

Some of the forums I've posted on in the past have been filled with crap posts and responses. I've seen threads that have had lots of posts just saying "zomg awesome!!" or "just this is crap"/"I've done it better". The threads become so full of the pointless posts that it becomes impossible to find any actual content in there! (You just end up scrolling through until you find someone that has posted more than one paragraph).

The only real solution I see to fixing this problem is having moderators constantly going over the site and removing posts etc. But at the same time that takes lots of effort, can spoil the spirit of the site and can drive a wedge between the users and admins (creating a whole "us vs them" scenario).

On increasing the number of posts:

Again, I think this is hard to do. Things like awards/rewards can be good, but often take a lot of time/effort to implement.

A good forum should essentially be able to maintain it's own momentum without and outside interference (although this usually begins with some strong posters/admins).

A solution to this problem is to provide levels and use these for accessing the site. A good example would be not to allow people to create posts (in the s/m section or even throughout the site) until they have reached a certain level. The issue with that is that it forces people to participate, which is both bad and good. I myself have been a member since 2007 (and I think I visited the site before that) but in that time I've only made 17 posts (this will be 18). There's lots of reasons for this, and everyone is different.

Preferably you would want a rep system based on time a member, number of posts, quality of posts and user feedback.

As with everything, there is no one solution.