PDA

View Full Version : Buffy Discussion 'Book Club'

pet monkey
06-25-2018, 06:37 PM
So, I was thinking about starting a Buffy re-watch and thought it would be fun to have a discussion group. I'm thinking we could watch 3 episodes or so a week and get together on a weekend to discuss them?

How's Sunday sound? 11 am MDT (GMT -6)? Lounge Chat room? Cool, so let me know in the thread if you're planning on being there, I'll think of some things to discuss while watching the show and you can do the same, cool? Let's start with the first 3 episodes, "Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, and The Witch ". (Or if you don't have somewhere to watch it just come for the discussion, all are welcome).

Jaro
06-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Good idea! I may be here actually... but this is only an hour before I do my own event.

Also, I haven't watched any Buffy ever beyond season 4 so I don't want to risk getting any spoilers.. even though this is only about the first 3 episodes, there's still that risk I think.

pet monkey
06-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Good idea! I may be here actually... but this is only an hour before I do my own event.

Also, I haven't watched any Buffy ever beyond season 4 so I don't want to risk getting any spoilers.. even though this is only about the first 3 episodes, there's still that risk I think.

That is a good point, so I will add the addendum that we keep the conversation on only the episodes we're discussing (or, in the future) previous episodes that we've all already seen. Plus, if you're in my event I might want to go check out how your event goes afterwards... :)

FrozenWolfGirl
06-28-2018, 11:58 AM
This sounds like an awesome idea! EDIT- the time would be 5pm here actually which is alright for me! I thought it was 5am oops lol

IceMaiden
06-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Darn! 5pm is when I'm getting my son ready for his dad to pick him up. I will try and make some of it if I can though!

pet monkey
06-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Darn! 5pm is when I'm getting my son ready for his dad to pick him up. I will try and make some of it if I can though!

That's cool, come when/if you're available!

pet monkey
07-01-2018, 06:24 PM
We had a lot of fun this week, thank you to everyone that showed up!

We are going to meet up again next week, same time, same room and discuss the next two episodes: Teacher's Pet and Never Kill a Boy on the First Date.

Again, everyone is welcome, new viewers and old alike (or those who haven't seen it yet and would just like to find out what this Buffy thing is all about)

naked_lego
07-02-2018, 10:59 AM
I've never watched, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it always kinda interested me. The only way I can see it is to get the DVDs on Netflix. I think I should be about to catch up by next Sunday. :)

IceMaiden
07-02-2018, 12:47 PM
I've never watched, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it always kinda interested me. The only way I can see it is to get the DVDs on Netflix. I think I should be about to catch up by next Sunday. :)

You wont regret it! :D

Simi
07-03-2018, 08:56 AM
I may well attempt to join you.... so long as I've got my time conversions right lol... might attempt to corrupt my puppy into old school whedon shows :D

Butterfly
07-03-2018, 11:23 AM
I may well attempt to join you.... so long as I've got my time conversions right lol... might attempt to corrupt my puppy into old school whedon shows :D

If you look at the stickys in this section, it will give you a link to time zone conversions, as well as if Monkey put the event in the calendar, it should automatically convert it to your timezone for you.

pet monkey
07-03-2018, 03:52 PM
If you look at the stickys in this section, it will give you a link to time zone conversions, as well as if Monkey put the event in the calendar, it should automatically convert it to your timezone for you.

I did put it in the calendar, cause I'm a smart monkey

pet monkey
07-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Hmm, slow week. I waited about 30 minutes and left when no one showed up. No worries, I'll be there again next week ready to discuss the next two episodes, The Pack and Angel and you're all welcome to come again, of course.

Butterfly
07-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Hmm, slow week. I waited about 30 minutes and left when no one showed up. No worries, I'll be there again next week ready to discuss the next two episodes, The Pack and Angel and you're all welcome to come again, of course.

I am sorry it wasn't a success.

I would recommend trying to pop into chat a few times during the week and linking your event, as well as bumping the thread the day or two before.

You could also make a post in the lounge with buffy trivia or something and mention it in there.

Jaro
07-09-2018, 08:45 AM

I'm sorry Mr. Monkey. I will try to be there next week.

It's really hard to get people to join these things because they don't look at the stickies, don't set reminders and simply forget.

I wish there was a way for subscribe to things like this and then get automatic reminders. Or something to let the upcoming events flash up on the top of every page. Without that you really need to keep reminding people about it. I agree with Miss Butterfly that the chat is a good place to do this.

Joan Sky
07-12-2018, 01:17 PM

I just saw this after the fact. I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch it again (since way back then), but decided to feel it out...

I used to watch Buffy growing up. I watched it for a little while around the end of middle school, beginning of high school. I didn't get too far into the seasons.

Anyway, I remember first reading about it in a magazine. Probably People magazine back then in the entertainment section or something. It talked about the newer show and had a picture of her. Instant crush, lol

For the time I did watch it, I appreciated her beauty, sense of style, kindness, how she was relatable, some the ways she wasn't, etc...

Um, I'll try to be around. 11 pm Mountain Time Zone is just next door to me. Illinois is Central, so just one hour after ~ noon. Sunday.

I just rewatched the first five episodes here and there this past week on hulu so I'll be caught up for the discussion if I'm able to make it hopefully.

I would recommend trying to pop into chat a few times during the week and linking your event, as well as bumping the thread the day or two before.

You could also make a post in the lounge with buffy trivia or something and mention it in there.

Great ideas :)

Joan Sky
07-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Got there a little late today some time ago. No one was in the lounge chat. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your marathon pet monkey :)

Jaro
07-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Oops! I had forgotten about this entirely this time. :(

pet monkey
07-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Got there a little late today some time ago. No one was in the lounge chat. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your marathon pet monkey :)

Ok, this one is totally on me! I'm SO sorry, I was sick on Friday so my weekend got screwed up and I thought today was Saturday. I will be back next week and humbly beg your forgiveness for today

Joan Sky
07-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Oops! I had forgotten about this entirely this time. :(

Ok, this one is totally on me! I'm SO sorry, I was sick on Friday so my weekend got screwed up and I thought today was Saturday. I will be back next week and humbly bed your forgiveness for today

No prob, I plan to see the group next Sunday then... Umm, this week was up to episode 7 ~ I guess next week discusses up to episode 9 then... I hope you feel better and recover soon :)

pet monkey
07-20-2018, 06:27 AM
No prob, I plan to see the group next Sunday then... Umm, this week was up to episode 7 ~ I guess next week discusses up to episode 9 then... I hope you feel better and recover soon :)

Thank you, I managed to survive the week and am looking forward to our next discussion. It's been a couple of weeks so we'll have an opportunity to discuss anything up to episode 9 this weekend. Thank you all for your interest in this, I'm really enjoying my latest watch-through.

Joan Sky
07-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Thank you, I managed to survive the week and am looking forward to our next discussion. It's been a couple of weeks so we'll have an opportunity to discuss anything up to episode 9 this weekend. Thank you all for your interest in this, I'm really enjoying my latest watch-through.

Okay, I plan on being there again. I'll set a couple phone alarms, lol

Thank you

Joan Sky
07-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Just doing a courtesy reminder ~ hour and two minutes before :)

pet monkey
07-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Just doing a courtesy reminder ~ hour and two minutes before :)

Thank you for the reminder, and for the fun chat today, I look forward to our group next week!

Joan Sky
07-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Reminding about tomorrow's meeting @ 11:00 Mountain Time Zone. So, 13 hours and 23 minutes from now. Discussion up to Episode 11. See y'all there. Setting some phone reminders :)

pet monkey
07-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Reminding about tomorrows meeting @ 11:00 Mountain Time Zone. So, 13 hours and 23 minutes from now. Discussion up to Episode 11. See y'all there. Setting some phone reminders :)

Thank you for the reminder, looking forward to seeing you there

Joan Sky
07-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Thank you for the reminder, looking forward to seeing you there

Thanks, y'all too.

Hour from now :)

Joan Sky
08-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the nice discussion as usual :) I'll try to remind next week again, etc.

pet monkey
08-11-2018, 09:29 PM
I apologize, I have family in town this weekend so I won't be able to make it to tomorrow's chat. You guys are welcome to have a chat without me of course. I will certainly be back next week!

Joan Sky
08-11-2018, 11:01 PM
I apologize, I have family in town this weekend so I won't be able to make it to tomorrow's chat. You guys are welcome to have a chat without me of course. I will certainly be back next week!

That's nice, enjoy your time with family :)

I'll check in and see if anyone comes. Discussion is at 12 noon Central Time Zone like usual, which is also 11 a.m. Mountain Time Zone where pet monkey is from. Adjust accordingly :)

Discussion will be Season 2, episodes 2 and 3.

Joan Sky
08-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Reminder, 1 hour from now :)

Butterfly
08-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Just a correction, its 11 am in MT time zone where Monkey is from. But yes, still one hour from now :)

Joan Sky
08-12-2018, 09:15 AM
That's nice, enjoy your time with family :)

I'll check in and see if anyone comes. Discussion is at 12 noon Central Time Zone like usual, which is also 11 a.m. Mountain Time Zone where pet monkey is from. Adjust accordingly :)

Discussion will be Season 2, episodes 2 and 3.

Just a correction, its 11 am in MT time zone where Monkey is from. But yes, still one hour from now :)

Thanks, I mentioned that. I'm near Chicago, so I specified Central Time Zone first :)

Butterfly
08-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Thanks, I mentioned that. I'm near Chicago, so I specified Central Time Zone first :)

Sorry, I misread! Thanks for clarifying!

pet monkey
08-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Hey peeps! I'm still around, I apologize for my absence the past couple of weeks, family stuff ya know. I will be there today (In one hour) for our discussion.

pet monkey
08-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Hmm.. apparently this cooled down in my absence and that's my fault. I was in chat this morning for about half an hour and no one showed. So let's try again next week shall we? I'll add it back to the calendar!

Butterfly
08-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Hmm.. apparently this cooled down in my absence and that's my fault. I was in chat this morning for about half an hour and no one showed. So let's try again next week shall we? I'll add it back to the calendar!

I find that advertising it in chat a few times a week as well as bumping this the event thread a day or two before the event is helpful.

Like I said before, starting a thread in the lounge for trivia might be a nice way to advertise and find the fans as well.

Joan Sky
08-27-2018, 04:23 AM

Sure, I believe next Sunday we'll be up to Season 2, episodes 8 and 9.

Sorry for not showing up last week. I remembered an hour afterward. Need to plug in those alerts.

The week before that I was the only one there too. I waited fifteen minutes while catching up on the last episode then left.

Glad you had a good time with fam. Look forward to seeing y'all next week :)

I find that advertising it in chat a few times a week as well as bumping this the event thread a day or two before the event is helpful.

Like I said before, starting a thread in the lounge for trivia might be a nice way to advertise and find the fans as well.

That's great advice to pet monkey :)

Hammarling
08-30-2018, 11:00 AM
I've pretty much been away for two months, so missed all this. Buffy is awesome, i've referenced that before on here :p

Hopefully i can make it on Sunday at the right time (might be having to pick up family from a train station though....). Just S2e8+9? Not 8, 9 and 10 given 9 + 10 is a two-parter, just saying :p

Joan Sky
08-30-2018, 11:25 AM
I've pretty much been away for two months, so missed all this. Buffy is awesome, i've referenced that before on here :p

Hopefully i can make it on Sunday at the right time (might be having to pick up family from a train station though....). Just S2e8+9? Not 8, 9 and 10 given 9 + 10 is a two-parter, just saying :p

In the beginning the group discussed three episodes, but found that it was easier for most to keep up with watching two episodes a week in time for discussion.

In any case, thanks for bringing up it's a two parter. I guess in this special case we can watch and discuss Season 2, episode 8 + 9 + 10.

Welcome to the group :) If you can't make it next week pehaps another time.

Joan Sky
09-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Discussion for Season 2 Episodes 11 + 12 in 1 hr 56 min :)

pet monkey
09-16-2018, 09:10 AM
As a reminder, Buffy chat in one Hour in the lounge. Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it this week. Feel free to have it without me, or we can just pick up next week with the same two episodes. Have a great week everyone!

Hammarling
09-21-2018, 02:58 PM
I can actually make this weekend... assuming this is still a thing? At least i hope it is, otherwise i'm just re-watching buffy (again) for no reason (again)... wait, that's not a bad thing!

pet monkey
09-21-2018, 03:08 PM
I can actually make this weekend... assuming this is still a thing? At least i hope it is, otherwise i'm just re-watching buffy (again) for no reason (again)... wait, that's not a bad thing!

It totally is still a thing, we'll be glad to see you this weekend!

Joan Sky
09-22-2018, 06:29 AM
As a reminder, Buffy chat in one Hour in the lounge. Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it this week. Feel free to have it without me, or we can just pick up next week with the same two episodes. Have a great week everyone!

I make it to almost every meeting, but last Sunday I was out at from morning to afternoon and couldn't attend the Lounge Chat here properly.

I don't think anyone made it last week. You didn't, I don't know if Jaro did, and you both are in the upcoming elections and I'm turning the interviews in today, so I guess a rare occasional one week rest is fine ;) Anyway we work with each other and are understanding and reasonably flexible :)

Welcome to the group Hammarling, always nice to see new members to the group :)

It totally is still a thing, we'll be glad to see you this weekend!

I guess we will continue the next two episodes from when we were together last, so we will discuss Season 2 episode 13 Surprise and episode 14 Innocence.

See you all there tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. Mountain Time (currently GMT-6) in the Lounge section of getDare Chat room. Adjust time accordingly. Thanks :)

~ Joanna

Joan Sky
09-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Pet Monkey, Jaro, Hammarling, etc. have fun at the chat today :)

I was planning showing on as usual, but I'm doing the final push on the interviews and posting them very soon, so focusing on that. Hope that's understandable.

Have fun! See you next time <3

~Joanna

Jaro
09-30-2018, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry but I am going to pass today's event.
Have fun you guys!

pet monkey
09-30-2018, 10:43 AM
I'm so sorry guys, I was excited for today's chat but got into packing the house since we're getting ready to move and by the time I looked up it was way past starting time.

DianaAu
10-04-2018, 04:45 AM
Would love to join. Never had the opportunity when it was on tv - they aired few episodes at random, but I was huge fan of Angel:rolleyes:

How far have you got? And discussions still happen on sundays 11.AM (-6 GMT).

Probably won't be joining this week. Will have to catch up.

pet monkey
10-14-2018, 08:42 AM
a little over an hour to go before our chat today! Looking forward to it