PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of Harry Potter 7? SPOILERS

Manbearpig
07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
What did you think of Harry Potter 7?

17.m.uk.master
07-22-2007, 03:46 PM
was my favorite - absoluterly action packed! i found it a fantastic read, with lots of twists in the plot, the book explains most of the questions people encountered when reading the other books as well as the fact it ads new content and new questions (later answered ofcourse) - lots of deaths i wont say of who so it doesnt ruin it for people, but most are devistating - overall a brilliant book and a fantastic ending to an awsome series - well thats my opinon anyways

Manbearpig
07-22-2007, 07:15 PM
:eek: SPOILERS MENTIONED :pirashoot: TURN AWAY PEOPLE WHO HAVENT FINISHED:eek:

Well I put SPOILER in the title so hopefully PEOPLE WHO HAVENT FINISHED IT WONT OPEN THIS POST

LAST CHANCE: in case people who havent finished or started turn away, before i start discusing the book.

I was really suprised to see that Harry had lived. As 18.m.uk.master pointed a lot of people died, but really none of the big 3, Harry, Hermoine, Ron, and I guess we can make it the big 6 with Ginny, Neville, and Luna and Hagrid can make it the Huge 7 by also living. I was not suprised to see Lupin die. Tonks yes, Lupin no. Also, Dobby I thought was going to die, along with Percy (who lived) and Fred and George (Fred died in combat, George lost an ear in the early chapters). However I thought it would be because of u-no-poo in book 6. Mad-Eye, I wasn't 100% sure, but Snape I knew was a goner and that he was good. It was nice to learn that Snape had always been good (sorta, I guess). And the Epiloge was good as well. Nice to know that Harry and Ginny married, and there sons are James, Albus Servus, and Lily. Cute. And that Ron and Hermoine got married. And Malfoy actually had a good future (How his whole family got through the book I will never understand)

Also, did everyone notice THE HUGE Hitler refrences in the book. The muggle-born registry, they were being rounded up, like the Jews in World War II in Germany. Voldermort being 1/2 Muggle while rumors are that Hitler was 1/4 Jewish. I mean the Death Eaters being compared to Nazi's for a while but this madness. Hope I didn't ruin it for anyone, and I shouldn't have since I put down SPOILERS.

TrekBoy008
07-22-2007, 09:34 PM
SPOILERS!!!

I liked the entire book, up until the ending. I felt that the ending was way too fairy-tale like in that everyone lived happily ever after. Parts of it seemed rushed or unexplained (like Percy all of a sudden showing up out of nowhere and how she never really explains what happens to the Malfoys). I also thought many of the deaths were treated very casually (the Minister's, Lupin's, Tonks', and Colin Creevy). Finally, although it was great to see Mrs. Weasley call Bellatrix a bitch and kill her, I would have loved to have seen Neville do it and avenge his parents. I did like how we got the back story on Snape, though.

Smile Guy
07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
It was absolutly awesome... and the best in the series. But not without fault. Some of her narrative can be very unclear I had to read the paragraph where Voldemort clocked it several times before I understood how exactly he had died. The epilogue was a complete mess too because too many names were dropped without explanation.

Otherwise, completely awesome with the best ideas and setpieces of the series. It was great to see all the old characters again (though the death of Dobby was a big blow). The storyline was excellent too even if the big twists had all been predicted.

TEN THUMBS UP!

C!!
07-23-2007, 08:08 PM
i didn't like it! i didn't think there was enough Harry/Jinny interaction...

coyote'sgateway
07-24-2007, 10:57 AM
That book Was great It always kept me wondering but I was surprised on the amount of people who died but it was cool when mrs weasley all out went berzerk on bellatrix lestrange

Powerstrip
07-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Just finished reading after reading all day yesterday and today.

SPOILER WARNING (As if you can't take the hint from above posts that if you don't want the ending spoiled then you shouldn't be here :P)

I thought it was OK, but not as good as before. There was a lot of good stuff, but I think the bits before with the whole travelling aimlessly.

What really spoiled it for me was the very end epilogue bit. Showing how everyone is now happy and everything was good in the end 19 years later.

I think the bit about Percy wasn't bad. He realised his mistake of being a MoM butt kisser and came back to make ammends.

You can't have any of the big three dieing, and I suppose the friends couldn't either.

Who was Victoire that young James sees kissing Teddy at the end?

I think that by writing that very end bit she basically put in a big confirmation that she is done writing them.

I'm not too sure about this whole "to kill the enemy you must die" plots, it seems weak. At least in the Matrix Neo actually dies!

Overall a good ending if you don't count that very final bit :)

sjsully06
07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
victorie is Bill and Flours child, or thats what I think

17.m.uk.master
07-26-2007, 11:33 AM
victorie is Bill and Flours child, or thats what I think

good suggestion! it does sound french!

THeMaGNeTiCMan
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I've heard that about Victoire. (Being bill's daughter)

I was really touched by Severus being the son's middle name. I think that that really showed how cool harry is :)

slave1987
07-28-2007, 01:07 AM
If Victoire is Bill and Fleur's daughter wouldn't that be incest??

Powerstrip
07-28-2007, 09:00 AM
If Victoire is Bill and Fleur's daughter wouldn't that be incest??

Eh?

Fleur Delacour is from the french version of Hogwarts.
Bill Weasley is Rons eldest brother.

That's not incest if they give birth to Victoire.

andom4444
07-28-2007, 03:03 PM
I loved it :D :D :D :D

Ikon
07-29-2007, 09:53 PM
It is going to make a really interesting movie since it has so much action in it

BTW did anyone notice in the 5th movie they left out the mirror (from sirius)

Marc
07-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Just finished reading it (despite having had a 'download' from the week before publication! Amazing what you can find on the web!!).

I thought it was absolutely great - definitely made me want to keep reading to get to the end (having just revised the previous six books - which was helpful to remind myself of what had happened previously).

I agree that some of the deaths (like Colin Creevey's in the final battle) were almost glossed over, but accept that otherwise there may have been enough content for another book!

I also thought that the middle of the book (after Ron had left and they were wandering almost aimlessly around the country) dragged a bit but it would have been far too easy for Harry to just turn up, grab the sword and go.

I also imagine that the film will have to be very long - and is flirting with being more than a PG rating (i.e. the transformation of the 7 Harry's and the immortal line about Harry wanting his 'privacy', and the Kings Cross scene after Harry wakes up naked on the floor but at least Daniel Radcliffe would be up for it (after his performance in 'Equus'!!).

Shame about Dobby's death but wonderfully treated, tugging at the heart strings.

The Epilogue could have been longer, with a bit more of what had happened to others, but does anyone else get the feeling that JK has left it open for a sequel....?

Also, at one point, I was thinking that actually Ron could have been 'the chosen one' and that Lord V had got it totally wrong - and Harry was just the shield for Ron! Might have been an interesting twist!

Powerstrip
07-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Apparently the epilogue was meant to be longer, but she shortened it quite a bit.

She is writing a sort of encyclopedia to tie off loose ends and bring the whole thing to a close, so that could be answers and more depth to parts of the story...hopefully.

I think it is the epilogue that ruins it for me, and as you say a bit of it drags.

It could have been better, imagine if the story was written so that the final movie had to carry a 18 rating :P

Playstation
08-13-2007, 04:51 AM
SPOILERS !!:mad:
Ya i read book great book - but wasn the battle scene (the big one) kinda the same in the half blood prince? i think so. And why didint harry use sectumsemprus at all? and i thought malfoy was gunna get his comings too!