PDA

View Full Version : Chat Rule Ideas

depp
08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I've been getting a lot of complaints about situations in the chat lately and wanted to open up the discussion to everyone.

What objective rules do you guys (and gals) think would make the chat a better place. Currently when I get complaints about users they involve invoking a subjective rule or standard. What solid, easy to interrupt rules do you guys think would be a help?

Saying "No trolling" is great in theory but is hard to enforce in an objective manner. You could say no name-calling but I fear they would turn into a petty report fest.

Of course, almost all these issues would be solved if users could just ignore people they consider idiots but without a feature or button many are finding that too hard.

Is there a way I can make the chat a better place without having to feel like I stepping into some petty high school drama each time? I'm interested to see what you guys feel about this all. Adding back in the ignore feature is not an option until I have the cash or time to replace our current setup.

fork
08-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I just think that the old fashioned "don't say anything back, just report" thing would work but seeing as none of the mods ever respond to the "petty" harassment reports, people stop doing this and simply fight with each other. The way to solve this would be to lower the "petty report" bar and have the mods actually step in and stop the stupid fights. The ignore button would solve this but since it's not gonna be around for a long time, the mods need to take some initiative.
I know that there are two sides to every argument.. so the little "he said i was stupid" reports could maybe be passed up. Recurring problems though, such as harassment from a specific user EVERY TIME one enters the chat, should be looked at and acted upon. If the user complaining has compiled a list of all the things the offending user has said, this should be used as evidence against them resulting in a warning or infraction or ban or whatever. I think it's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone being a baby and someone who is sincerely fed up.

Another solution would be to add more staff from different parts of the world and assign them shifts, like a real job. You'd probably need quite a bit of new staff so I doubt this would come into play at all but it's still a suggestion. Making sure a mod is in chat ACTIVELY at all times.

I just realized this is more about rules so here's some that apply to this..
-Don't react to a "bully" just report them
-Don't tell anyone in chat to "shut up" or make them feel insignificant in any way
I mean rules like this are pretty self explanatory but I think that the phrase "shut up" or any other variant of it shouldn't be allowed in chat because it really is a hard blow sometimes. It's rude and since it is a public chat, everyone should be allowed to express their opinions on any topic (as long as it doesn't escalate to a full blown argument or flaming session in which cases these people would be REPORTED not fought with)

depp
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM
This is not what I want. I am looking for objective rules we can agree on. Any ideas?

Edit: This is a good start but seems a little too childish. Am I wayy off base here or is this a good idea?
-Don't tell anyone in chat to "shut up" or make them feel insignificant in any way

oreo_is_back
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
No Trolling under the definition of the following:

No continuous IMs to aggrivate
(Users should not display aggresive behaviour. If a user PMs you or someone mentions you in chat in way you do not like then hounding the user aggresively till they leave or you upse tthem shouldn't be allowed.)

No aggravisve behaviour

If one memeber tells you,clearly, not to talk to them, do it? (It acts as a tempoary block/ignore untill one is sorted)

Annoying users knowing it will cause an argument.

If A mod tells you to STOP-Then Stop.

Only report if you really NEED too. Meaning not because someone called you a 'bitch' (This shouldn't imply if you follow the above.)

If users in the chat are discussing a topic that you do not like then do not rubbish it because you personally don't like it. The chat isn't the propertly of anyone. Respect the other users.

Courteous and manners don't cost a thing.

( Oh and i'm sure more will be added to this by other users who have/had problems.)

depp
08-30-2009, 01:36 PM
No continuous IMs to aggrivate
I like. If a user keeps PMing someone after they ask to stop that should be bannable.

Also, I've decide to just replace the chat with one that has a working ignore feature. It should be up within a week or two.

oreo_is_back
08-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I like. If a user keeps PMing someone after they ask to stop that should be bannable.

Also, I've decide to just replace the chat with one that has a working ignore feature. It should be up within a week or two.

lulz. I'll make myself scarce when unbearable users are on then, come on when they are not. Save the arguments. Also THANK YOU. <3

depp
08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I just ordered the liscense on the new chat. I will install when I have time. This should solve the biggest problems.

monkeysrock
08-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I didn't realise things were this bad. Maybe I'm in the chat when nasty people are in bed.

I've always lived by the rule treat others how you wish to be treated and ignore tit-for-tat and name calling. If your on a site like this you must be mature enough to ignore playground stuff. Only report things that seriously offend and concern you including anything you would deem as illegal i.e harassment, repeated offensive behaviour ect.

Is the chat copy-and-pasteable? meaning segments could be sent to a mod?

depp
08-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Is the chat copy-and-pasteable? meaning segments could be sent to a mod?
Yes! Mods also have search-able logs of the last 42 hours. The new chat will have logs that go back much further. Not sure how I will set it up though.

monkeysrock
08-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I have been in chat rooms where their has been 'watchmen' or women who keep an eye and then should something happen they 'kick' the user or refer to a mod.

Just a thought. (I only have one or two a year)

vivala_dare
08-30-2009, 03:35 PM
If a mod was active when chat is at the busiest times I think this would help.
No continuous IMs to aggravate I agree with this.

Manbearpig
08-30-2009, 06:11 PM
The problem is mods cant have set schedules. we might all be on at the same time or no one will be on. we have no control

Angel: However, I will almost always be on whether I'm invisible or actually online. The only time I'm NOT in there is when Pingu kicks me out. :p

lokelake
08-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Not much of a rule, but more of a suggestion. Like maybe just have some undercover mods that just mods the chat, and they can only ban people who breaks rules in the chat. Like, they can't put an underage user on probation if they posted in the s/m area. Only the gd staff will know who these undercover mods are. And, if one of these mods bans a user, then in the ban log it can say, "banned by an undercover mod."

Mythologist
08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I think I'd rather pass on having secret police, lokelake XD Seems a tad unchivalrous, and I'd be constantly paranoid that anyone that pm'd me was looking for an excuse to get me in trouble. Not that I don't play nicely or anything *looks around shiftily*

fork
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
I didn't mean being told to shut up once. I meant like, after every single thing a user says, they are told to shut up or made fun of. This should be considered harassment and therefore bannable. I mean how can you have a decent conversation?
Ex:
user 1: I like ice cream.
user 2: That's because you're a faggot.
user 1: ?
user 2: Shut the fuck up.
user 1: Ok... so user 3, how are you?
user 2: Shut up faggot.

See? I've seen/experienced plenty of situations like this and I don't think this should be acceptable at all. If anyone disagrees, well, I don't really want to know you.

depp
08-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Yay, lots of good ideas!

With an ignore feature back in place I'm going to lock this thread because the game has changed signifigantly. When I have some time I'll write up some new chat rules. In the meantime ignore the meanies and idoits by using the ignore links that come up when you click a username in the chat.