PDA

View Full Version : Games in DOS

Big_Joe
07-14-2007, 03:24 PM
My cousin just got a new PC with completely blank harddrive no Windows or anything and before he installed windows we wanted to try loading this ancient old game that runs on DOS called 'Mystic Towers' because we used to play it when we were very young.

I'm not experienced in DOS at all and neither is he so i was just wondering if someone could try to explain how i would go about installing and running an old DOS based game.

Also would installing it prevent me from installing windows without risk of serious errors?

andom4444
07-14-2007, 03:36 PM
My cousin just got a new PC with completely blank harddrive no Windows or anything and before he installed windows we wanted to try loading this ancient old game that runs on DOS called 'Mystic Towers' because we used to play it when we were very young.

I'm not experienced in DOS at all and neither is he so i was just wondering if someone could try to explain how i would go about installing and running an old DOS based game.

Also would installing it prevent me from installing windows without risk of serious errors?

just install windows and run it through windows using either dos if you have 98 or below or a dos emulator afterwards.

lucky
07-14-2007, 05:55 PM
some games might not work in windows, but its better to try. Anyway if you install dos you won't have any problem when installing windows. You can format the drive.

Anyway I never tested but heared that big hard disks (over 4G) are not supported by DOS. And FAT32 doesn't support over 32G so you would have to split the hard into more partitions (at least 2 is worth in windows anyway). ...So, better install windows...

absurdvillain
07-16-2007, 01:59 PM
What a bunch of nerds.

damned_virus
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
knowledge is power, and the world is more digitized then ever, so i learn all i can and respect anyone else who does (y)

lucky
07-16-2007, 02:14 PM
nerds but do you know you can program the CD-rom unit to open and close at a specific time and start a painful event on you like pushing a candle or a button that will get the hell out of you?

:D

no, you didnt know that.

damned_virus
07-16-2007, 02:20 PM
yes i do, set a cron job to run the command eject, nice and simple :P

lucky
07-16-2007, 02:30 PM
yes i do, set a cron job to run the command eject, nice and simple :P

Now I agree: what a bunch of nerds we are:)))
Nerds do the best work anyway

TheLittleStrawberry
07-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Just install windows 95 :D Most dos games should work on that one.... unless...

Powerstrip
07-21-2007, 03:39 PM
I thought I was nerd, but the above has shown me I am nowhere near that status :rolleyes:

Install XP/Vista whichever you go for and run Dosbox.

Installing anything else is just going to be painfully problematic.

EDIT, What the heck can a CD drive with a candle and a button?

TheLittleStrawberry
07-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I thought I was nerd, but the above has shown me I am nowhere near that status :rolleyes:

Install XP/Vista whichever you go for and run Dosbox.

Installing anything else is just going to be painfully problematic.

I really dont see the use for Vista :-/ XP works fine, and Vista takes up too much CPU anyway. Unless im wrong..

Lol I hate dosbox. I always something wrong.

Jazz jackrabbit 4ever!!! =D

Powerstrip
07-21-2007, 03:48 PM
I liked Jazz JackRabbit. It was before I found Sonic :)

(Damn the years are going back to Primary School, leaving Secondary is really starting to make me feel age)

Vista is here to stay whether you like it or not :-\

There are small advantages but nothing like worth spending £100+ on it.

TheLittleStrawberry
07-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I liked Jazz JackRabbit. It was before I found Sonic :)

(Damn the years are going back to Primary School, leaving Secondary is really starting to make me feel age)

Vista is here to stay whether you like it or not :-\

There are small advantages but nothing like worth spending £100+ on it.

Lol I'm gonna stick with my Windows XP for a little while longer... I might turn to some other OS after that then. Maybe Mac or Linux... I'm getting kinda tired of Windows and Microsoft.

Powerstrip
07-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Try an Ubuntu Live Distro. It runs off the CD so will be slow to boot, but once it's there it will allow you to do whatever you want.

Only sticking point is lack of Games on it (there are some like Tetris and the like, but nothing like latest 3D stuff)

Otherwise fully useable distro. If you want to install it then use this:
http://wubi-installer.org/

It installs in Windows, uses your current partitions and does all the work for you. You then have a system that allows you to browse the net, MSN, Yahoo etc and listen to music. If you want Webcam aMSN does the job.

Everything you need is on the top bar with drop down menus. Anymore you need use the Synaptic Package Manager to isntall it.

If you want to use it to listen to MP3s watch DVDs install Automatix (google it)

Good Luck :)

(PS: Macs suck. Big headed, Expensive for what it is, many better products out and my sisters has had enough issues to put me off)

lucky
07-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Advice: for some dos programs which runs too fast on actual computers: tried once a setting in bios: disabled all processor cashing. It slowed them down to real speed (also slowed the booting time :( ). After it I set it enabled and turned my windows as usual.

TheLittleStrawberry
07-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Advice: for some dos programs which runs too fast on actual computers: tried once a setting in bios: disabled all processor cashing. It slowed them down to real speed (also slowed the booting time :( ). After it I set it enabled and turned my windows as usual.

Theres a program called "Moslo" that can slow down DOS game too me thinks... Also Dosbox has a built in feature to slow or speed up game if I remember correctly.

dared to perfection
07-22-2007, 07:44 AM
just to let people know... i like vista its purely due to aesthetics never really benefitted significantly from the programming but my personal belief is its better than previous windows systems.