PDA

View Full Version : Rules Quiz

fork
08-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I've seen this on other sites before and I think this site could probably benefit from it.
In order to post, one should have to take a quiz on the rules of the site. They would be given as much time as they need to study the rules and then go to the next page and take a quiz on them. If they get 100%, they get to join normally. If not, it takes them back to the rules page to study more.
Obvious flaws are they could just guess using common sense.. or they could keep the rule page open and flip back and forth, but even then they would get some understanding of what the rules of this site are.
At the very least, they wouldn't have the "I didn't read the rules" excuse for leniency when they broke one.

erick92
08-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with this idea. Please do add this. So sick of the people that read the rules have to deal with the people that for some reason refuse to take 5 minutes to read over them.

lokelake
08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Ha, I like this idea. Hopefully it will work. But, I am sure people will still try to find ways to break the rules. But, never hurts to try a new method to prevent rule breakers.

fork
08-02-2009, 09:49 PM
It wouldn't prevent rule breakers, but it would take away the excuse.. and it would make sure newcomers know that nude pictures and under 18 SM isn't allowed because I'm sure there are many people who want to sign up and quickly make an ad so they don't even bother to find out. They just assume.

pranadevil
08-03-2009, 10:25 AM
One flaw though... could someone not just open the rules page in a seperate window and read up on the answers? (You couldn't lock the page to the quiz in case they need to switch out due to family entering).

Even if you locked any other GD pages out once they "began" the quiz, they could print the rules out and keep them next to them anyway.

I like the idea behind it, but I feel that in practice it would be destined to fail.

BettyBoop
08-03-2009, 03:14 PM
One flaw though... could someone not just open the rules page in a seperate window and read up on the answers? (You couldn't lock the page to the quiz in case they need to switch out due to family entering).

Even if you locked any other GD pages out once they "began" the quiz, they could print the rules out and keep them next to them anyway.

I like the idea behind it, but I feel that in practice it would be destined to fail.
Yes, but then at least they would have had to read through the rules, and hopefully that would then be something they'd remember.

maxim
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I like this but even if we start it tommrow there's still bunches of users already creatded who don't know the rules!
so what would we do about that?

BettyBoop
08-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I like this but even if we start it tommrow there's still bunches of users already creatded who don't know the rules!
so what would we do about that?
There really isn't much. But if you've noticed depp has stickied the rules in every forum section.

Coyote
08-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Great idea. I think it should be done

fork
08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I'd like to thank prana for being the one to point out a flaw that was already covered in the OP. :rolleyes:
Anyway.. people who already have accounts obviously wouldn't be effected by this. You can't solve everything

pranadevil
08-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Except I was also pointing out that if anyone had the bright idea of locking to the page it wouldn't work, along with the fact that it could be printed out as well.

While I do like the whole "people should read the rules" surely those that don't only wind up booted anyway? Especially as the majority of the rules, like any forum, are pretty much common sense. Hell, I'll admit completely that I've not gone and studied the rules. But if something came up that I wanted to do, and wasn't sure on, I'd either check the rules, or PM Depp (Such as the case with my Desert Island Discs stuff).

In fact, I'd hazard a guess that the majority of good posters on most forums don't have their initial intro to the forum be a thorough reading of the rules. It's like an instruction manual for a game, 99% of the time it's common sense, and the 1% you're not sure on, well you have the manual there to check.

Only people who screw up royally are those planks who have zero logic and common sense in them, and they would do so anyway, and get banned regardless.

erick92
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I still say quiz them. This leaves less room for excuses. In my opinion, there shouldn't be "infractions" since the rules are pretty straight forward.

fork
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I have an example of why the "no excuses" bit is important. Someone posted a nude pict on the forums. NUDE. Where underage could see it. What did they get? A post deletion and a warning. Yet someone could get an infraction/ban for simply posting their thread in the wrong place. Older members "should know better"
Well this rules quiz eliminates the "should know better" claus, since everyone should know better now that reading the rules is mandatory to post on the site!