PDA

View Full Version : Chat bar!!!

busted
07-23-2009, 05:41 AM
What about a chat bar on the bottom right like there is on facebook for example. :) There on quite a few websites now and i've heard that if you know what your doing its very easy to make. Anyway just an idea :D

BettyBoop
07-23-2009, 06:20 AM
That would be pretty cool, so you could chat and browse the forums at the same time.
Though I do, do that anyway with tabs, GOOGLE CHROME!
Up, up and away.

dragonator
07-23-2009, 06:23 AM
i like that idea a lot lol

LittleRayRay
07-23-2009, 06:29 AM
me too!!!

That would.be.awesome.

So on T or D if people dont like thinking they can just give a topic so you could search for it, and then do that dare.

swweeettt

Slenderman - Doctor
07-23-2009, 06:32 AM
YouTube did this with its friend feature. It's completely stupid, hardly anyone uses it and it's so annoying. If getDare ever went down this route, there'd best be an option to turn it off.

I don't understand why people can't have the chat minimized or open in a new tab?

LittleRayRay
07-23-2009, 06:37 AM
YouTube did this with its friend feature. It's completely stupid, hardly anyone uses it and it's so annoying. If getDare ever went down this route, there'd best be an option to turn it off.

I don't understand why people can't have the chat minimized or open in a new tab?

Youtube isn't a friend site. People have friends here,

and, dude..... think... I'd be awesome!! Mwa ha ha.

I always mess up my tab. It goes down to the bottom of my screen and i cant get it back up, im usein chrome. lol.

anyways, felt like baby-non-hash-browns-with-a-side-of-home-cooked-bull-testicles-rant

:)

dragonator
07-23-2009, 06:37 AM
lol because my comp is too freaking slow o do both it just wont let me and im sure im not the only one with an old comp but the chat bar at the bottom i think my comp could handle

Slenderman - Doctor
07-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Youtube isn't a friend site. People have friends here,

and, dude..... think... I'd be awesome!! Mwa ha ha.

I always mess up my tab. It goes down to the bottom of my screen and i cant get it back up, im usein chrome. lol.
:)

YouTube is a video sharing website. So it doesn't need a chat feature.
getDare is a Truth or Dare forum (ultimately). It has an adequate chat feature.

I go on YouTube and that bar at the bottom always pisses me off because it's so pointless. I can see how people may use it, but it's still not needed. Hence why I said, if getDare did go down this route, I'd hope there would be an option to turn it off/get rid.

That's the way I see it anyway.

lol because my chat is too freaking slow o do both it just wont let me and im sure im not the only one with an old comp but the chat bar at the bottom i think my comp could handle

In my experience, my computer goes really slow when my Facebook bar is active. So I guess it's different for different people.

Also, I just don't want getDare becoming like every other site. Facebook started with the bar, then MySpace copied it, and then YouTube copied it. It's just really naff.

busted
07-23-2009, 07:43 AM
lol someone had to hate my idea lmfao at least most people like the idea for once. :) And the chat isnt perfect there has been tons of problems with it and there are still some. i even remember depp once saying there had been so many problems with it he was considering making his own one.

jim1984
07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
just a thought. but what i usually do is open the chatroom in a seperate tab. therefore i can browse, then switch to chat as needed... nice idea though. facebook chat is very smooth to use :)

Coyote
07-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I like this idea. my old computer used to be too slow to run both at the same time. This would good to have in the future

busted
07-24-2009, 03:13 AM
The tab thing dosn't really work if you have an old slow computer because if you change the tabs around a bit to quickly the coputer freezes or your borwser shuts down and re-opns on your home page. :)

CollaredBlondie
07-24-2009, 04:40 AM
If getDare ever went down this route, there'd best be an option to turn it off.

In my experience, my computer goes really slow when my Facebook bar is active. So I guess it's different for different people.

Also, I just don't want getDare becoming like every other site. Facebook started with the bar, then MySpace copied it, and then YouTube copied it. It's just really naff.

I'm with Koq on this. If we're going to get this feature, there better be an option to turn it off. Personally, I'd rather we didn't, because Facebook chat is damn stupid.

For all of you with slow computers... Well, that's not anyone else's propblem but your own really. I dont' see why you can't check all new posts, then go on chat and then check the posts again when you log off chat.

pranadevil
07-24-2009, 07:04 AM
I've used Facebook chat to talk with a total of 3 people, all 3 of which are those who either don't use MSN, or who are only on to check facebook, see I'm on, and decide to reply to me there instead of in the message I sent. That's it.

Allt his would do is split the chat up because we couldn't have a full chat like we do at the moment in this "facebook chat" way, so people who actually wish to chat will still need to go in the main one, and eventually the chat at the bottom will be used for a few people to perhaps talk when they can't be bothered to go to the main chat, or (mainly) for fakes and pervs to contact the girls on the board hoping to get their rocks off (ignoring the fact that 99% of the time the "girl" that responds is another bloke doing the same damned thing anyway).

So ultimately, utterly pointless idea, and when actually looking into the workings of it, a ridiculous one at that.

maxim
07-24-2009, 07:43 AM
I've used Facebook chat to talk with a total of 3 people, all 3 of which are those who either don't use MSN, or who are only on to check facebook, see I'm on, and decide to reply to me there instead of in the message I sent. That's it.

Allt his would do is split the chat up because we couldn't have a full chat like we do at the moment in this "facebook chat" way, so people who actually wish to chat will still need to go in the main one, and eventually the chat at the bottom will be used for a few people to perhaps talk when they can't be bothered to go to the main chat, or (mainly) for fakes and pervs to contact the girls on the board hoping to get their rocks off (ignoring the fact that 99% of the time the "girl" that responds is another bloke doing the same damned thing anyway).

So ultimately, utterly pointless idea, and when actually looking into the workings of it, a ridiculous one at that.

Well to fix that you could only chat with people you are buddys with and that way pervs don't come a acroos

Overall a great idea I would like to see this happen! But otheres don't so go figure

pranadevil
07-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Yeah, but even then, just chatting to "buddies" is pointless when if you really wanted to chat with them you'd just give them your MSN or Yahoo details.

BettyBoop
07-24-2009, 07:56 AM
As long as there was an ignore button, and it could help you make friends.
And you could have a message after your name, for instance if you wanted dares.
But whatever, probably wont happen seeing as the idea seems so unloved.

busted
08-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Can i just say that at first i also hated the facebook chat. But now i use it alot and once you get used to it a bit it is awsemone. I cant see any dissadvantages of adding it to the site. :)

muffinfairy
08-24-2009, 01:49 AM
there'd best be an option to turn it off.

If we're going to get this feature, there better be an option to turn it off.

yes yes. I can't be dealing with you annoying people all the time :P
If I want to chat, I'll go to chat

busted
08-24-2009, 01:51 AM
ummm.... theres a feature which means you can appear offline :rolleyes:

Slenderman - Doctor
08-24-2009, 04:47 AM
ummm.... theres a feature which means you can appear offline :rolleyes:

I don't want a chat bar at the bottom of my screen, even if I can appear offline. So I'd still want an option to turn it off/get rid of the thing.

CollaredBlondie
08-24-2009, 04:59 AM
I don't want a chat bar at the bottom of my screen, even if I can appear offline. So I'd still want an option to turn it off/get rid of the thing.

Here here! Same really. We have a perfectly good chat room here. We do not need a chat bar.

busted
08-24-2009, 05:27 AM
100th Post (I think)

There have been so many problems with the chat and it still isn't perfect at the best of times. Depp even admitted he had had so many problems with it that he may even make his own one. :)

CollaredBlondie
08-24-2009, 05:40 AM
100th Post (I think)

There have been so many problems with the chat and it still isn't perfect at the best of times. Depp even admitted he had had so many problems with it that he may even make his own one. :)

Maybe so but even MSN and Yahoo IM systems have problems. We still don't need a chat bar

depp
08-24-2009, 06:32 AM
The chat as it stands today is far from perfect. I don't have time to even begin to start fixing a lot of the issues I would like to. A chat bar may come in the future as an OPTIONAL opt-in feature but only when I have had the time to fix all the problems we have already.

I am still debating creating a new chat from scratch or licensing some existing code. I love the chat we have now but really dislike how buggy it is. Any future solution would resemble our current setup minus the crazy bugs.

emo boy
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
i dont use the chat room because it makes my phone internet crash so i cant really say
but the site has a chat room why not just use that ?