PDA

View Full Version : An update on age restrictions & thread titles

depp
06-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I've had a lot of trouble getting the age restrictions to work reliably since upgrading the site. For the immediate feature the 18+ forum will be accessible to everyone. I am looking into a solution and will eventually close it up again.

I've also made it mandatory to add a [Fiction] or [Non-Fiction] tag to all new posts. The software will walk you through the process the next time you post a story. If anyone has ideas for additional tags to go in story titles I am more than willing to listen.

phanmail
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I think some basic tags about what you're going to find in the story would be good like the ones used in other sites. If nothing else we need tags for M/s stories, T or D stories and T or D stories that turn into M/s stories, as well as tags for blackmail stories.

interesting
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
This is not a bad idea, technically. We could come up with a list of secondary (but not mandatory) search tags that identify the type of story being presented. After all, so many stories on here share the same plot lines and story hooks.

But... there are those stories that fall through the cracks as well... so we also need to cover those. For example: where do Sexual Zombies and DareGirl: A Super Epic fall? They are not S/M nor are they TorD really...

A story should be able to have more than one tag, if the tags are indeed built to work with the search engine.

Officelover
06-18-2009, 07:20 PM
My question is are under 18's allowed to comment in the Mature Stories, like sort of a "holiday" while things aren't working?

BettyBoop
06-26-2009, 04:04 PM
My question is are under 18's allowed to comment in the Mature Stories, like sort of a "holiday" while things aren't working?
I was scared to go in there. I don't want to get in trouble :p

fork
06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Well the SM ads forum is open to under 18 members to read, but we can't comment on it or anything. I guess it's like the same as that for the time being.

depp
06-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I understand the frustration with getDare taking a step back with it's automatic age restrictions. The fact is I am burnt out on programming anything new here for a while after the new front page. I've played with some third party plug ins but found serious bugs in all of them. I will continue to evaluation solutions and will implement the first one that works.

quidproquo
07-02-2009, 11:39 PM
I know I'm new, so feel free to disregard my opinion, but I don't like the idea of mandatory Fiction/Nonfiction tags. Sometimes, when I write a story, I want people to wonder if it really happened or not, especially in the beginning.

depp
07-08-2009, 02:05 AM
I know I'm new, so feel free to disregard my opinion, but I don't like the idea of mandatory Fiction/Nonfiction tags. Sometimes, when I write a story, I want people to wonder if it really happened or not, especially in the beginning.

This is an interesting point. Does anyone else have thoughts on getting rid of the mandatory tags? If people don't want them I'll take them away.

jhacksworth
07-08-2009, 03:00 AM
I don't like to guess... I like both fiction and non fiction stories equally, but I like to know if they really happened to that person or not... I say you should keep the tags...

fork
07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I like quidproquo's idea. I'm not really a story-reader myself but I like stuff that keeps you guessing. Maybe there should be an option for "you'll see at the end" or something? I don't know how that'd be enforcable though.

How come people have to tag their stories anyway? I never really understood, besides convenience for people who particularly like one or the other. But if people don't want to say, that should be fine too. A good story is a good story whether its true or not.

Manbearpig
07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I say you should have them optional. Its not the readers choice, its the authors. If they want you guessing, then it is there right to do so.

depp
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I've removed the requirement of selecting a tag for new posts. :)