PDA

View Full Version : Misconceptions of BDSM

LilAngel
05-27-2009, 02:13 AM
First of all, I would like to say that as much as I (and many other people) want, the below is just the norm. There will always, like anything else, be people that disrespect the boundaries and the flow of ‘different’ lifestyles, so please, ONLY USE THIS AS A GUIDE. There are bad people out there. There are re also new folks that want to learn. Remember: Play safe.

(Specific genders can be adjusted. They have been used for easier understanding.)

MISCONCEPTION #1
“BDSM is all about violence and pain...”

A scene/ session can be easily adjusted to become a non-pain session. Water play, pet play, bondage, public scenes, or just hardcore top/bottom fucking are equally as BDSM-oriented if you want it to be. Many dominants claim to enjoy the submissive’s ‘humiliation’ far greater than the tears of pain. This common misconception can also lead to those in the vanilla lifestyle feeling disgusted, frightened, or simply disturbed, by the idea of such physical damage to your body.

MISCONCEPTION #2
“You must call her Mistress because she is a dominant...”

First of all... no, No, NO! I can’t believe how many times I see ads with people calling others ‘Mistress’. She is NOT your Mistress until she says so, and you are NOT her slave until she accepts you. As I’ve said on another one of my threads, there are other ways of addressing someone respectfully. It doesn’t make you any less submissive by doing so.

MISCONCEPTION #3
“BDSM is just a game...”

For beginners or a few other active lifestyle ‘players’, this might be true. Perhaps a few of you out there might even be a couple, occasionally using BDSM or D/s as a sex game. For many others, this is a lifestyle; in other words, a way of life. Whether you choose to have occasional sessions/scenes, or to live it as a lifestyle, is the choice of the dominant and submissive. An agreement should be made in the beginning, and moulded later on according to the needs of both sides.

MISCONCEPTION #4
“Those you call “Master” are actually evil and heartless sadists...”

The fact is that this thought is simply no where even near the truth, yet it is the largest perceived notion about the community from those that seem to be out to get people that are part of the BDSM community. Contrary to very popular beliefs, ‘tops’ actually cares about the submissive. The dominant would 99.5% of the time care about the submissive’s health and wellness.

MISCONCEPTION #5
“BDSM is all about forcing you to do things you don’t want...”

This misconception is actually somewhat, unlike the ones above; But... ‘forcing’ isn’t exactly the right word to use. Many dominants believe that their main job is to teach the submissive, and to push them out of their comfort zones, either emotionally, or physically. This may include extended bondage sessions, heavy pain, or perhaps even having sex with the same gender for some. This will be further explained below.

MISCONCEPTION #6
“You are a slave/submissive, therefore you must obey me...”

Believe it or not, the submissive might have more power than the dominant. Even in the stricter lifestyle of Gorean, there would be choice in the initial agreement. Never accept anyone who says that you ‘must obey them’. BDSM and Gor are all about choice. There is no forced slavery or submission on anyone. Blackmail is VERY DIFFERENT to these two lifestyles.

MISCONCEPTION #7
“BDSM and Gor are sex based lifestyles...”

In reality, most people in the lifestyle would agree that sex is not the point of the lifestyle. Some dominants use it as a source of punishment or reward. BDSM, a majority of the time deals with mental and emotional aspects, more so than physical. However, there are quite a lot of physical things used to trigger emotions.

MISCONCEPTION #8
“Mistresses and Masters are just screaming and yelling bitches...”

Believe it or not, to most submissives, ‘the look’ would be enough to trigger a reaction from the submissive. Speech is ‘assumed’ but not ‘necessary’ or ‘essential’. For example, if a switch was to dominate a submissive while spontaneously submitting to a dominant themselves, he/she might be gagged, in which case, he/she might have to use other means to indicate how you may serve them.

Remember: Always MAKE SURE you know what you’re saying. Never accept ANYTHING while drunk, and never play if you have had alcohol, any medication, or are on drugs. These things can affect the way you think, and the way your body responds to pain. If you ever are in doubt with anything, or are having trouble with something, tell your dominant. Your safety is ALWAYS FIRST. Pleasing is second.

Komodo Jones
05-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Once again Lil' Angel you have addressed an important concept and made it golden. In fact I probably would have had many of these misconceptions before I entered into the bdsm scene. It's kind of said that some people believe in the misocnceptions of 1,4, and 6 especially. I've only had my slave for about two months and I care for her very very much. I give her some pain commands, but never violence, and never pain that could be regarded as too severe. I may give her commands constantly but I still love her with every inch of my heart. People who are reading this that acutally believe in these misconceptions, listen to Lil' Angel because she really makes some good points.

pranadevil
05-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Have to say those are some very well expressed points.

Especially as while I heavily favour the painful side of BDSM myself, I realize that's personal preference rather than a be-all and end-all of it, and can enjoy most other activities as well.

But just because I enjoy pain play doesn't mean I'm heartless or evil. Quite the contrary, I'm caring, and considerate of everyone and would never try and push anyone further than they are willing to go. While outside of BDSM I am even volunteering.

Of course, regardless of any of that, some people will instantly jump to conclusions even if they've known you for years. Essentially acting as though you lied to them and aren't a kind person at all, and instead are a vicious bastard. It makes me wonder about the world when people would rather jump to conclusions than get to the bottom of an issue they may have.

pranadevil
05-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Erm... no clue what happened there! Pasted in the info for the wrong forum... sorry for the double post!

Anjelen
05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
And once more a post by Lilangel that i agree with 100%

Particularly #4 and #8 - i'm sorry, but in my arrogant opinion, a dom(me) must be at least as concerned or more concerned for the wellbeing of their submissives as they themselves are - and any dom(me) who needs to raise their voice and particularly shout hasn't heard of this thing called inflection - vocal as much as facial and stance.

Jenna<3
05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Well done LilAngel! I've noticed a lot of things on here (#3 and #6 especially) that just kind of ruin BDSM to me. It's about so much more, and I hate how so many people don't understand that.

Fiendish
05-27-2009, 02:10 PM
You get a cookie :) The Fiend's Eye approves of this topic.

And so do I.

masterddk
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Wise words young one.

DDK

Master_Emanon
05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Great post as usual,

I agree with every thing you have said, I have been in the lifestyle for a long while and find “posers” is what is ruining and turning many away from the lifestyle.

Even in a few post here and on some BDSM sites I am on, you see many people who claim to be Masters of Mistresses, yet have no experience, in the lifestyle at all, and they think simply them being dominate makes one a Master or Mistress, or expecting all subs or slaves to submit to them simply because they are a Master or Mistress.

While I enjoy the S&M part of the lifestyle I do know it is not based on pain and violence, but I do enjoy the bond I have with my two collared slaves, as well as meeting many friends, subs, slaves, Masters and Mistresses both online and off.

I can go on and on about the problems many false people donning the facade of a Master or Mistress causes for the lifestyle but shall end this post here

Midnight
05-27-2009, 02:46 PM
This is fabulous and I wish that all potentials, whether top or bottom, would read this. People have no idea that even though they apply for something, it doesn't mean they are going to get it.

I still get applications that say "Mistress" and "your slave" and I sort of burn of them all but then I remember I need the computer and I can't set this on fire.

This needs to one of those "sticky" things in the slave / master area. It's well thought and not hard to understand. It's plain English!

Thank you for making such a wonderful post.

LilAngel
05-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful fantabulous comments! :D

I'm glad that this post might help newer people understand BDSM a little bit better.

Mmmmm COOKIE! (It's funny how you talk in third person. :p)

Dare861
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm DareDude861 and I approve of this post.

Fiendish
06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful fantabulous comments! :D

I'm glad that this post might help newer people understand BDSM a little bit better.

Mmmmm COOKIE! (It's funny how you talk in third person. :p)

Fiendish talks however Fiendish wants to talk! And I make good cookies.

But yeah, this is a good post.

sudheer2t
06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Dear Little Angel,

Excellent work. I guess every one joining in the BDSM/Master n slave category should read this completely before entering.

It covers a very important point that "Masters do take care of the slaves and love them" I agree 100% with it.

great work.

cheers

Lovesfundares
07-12-2009, 04:25 PM
i think ill show my best friend this post. shes known me for over 6years and read my blog and thought i was pretty much crazy. though ti was degrading myself. i tried to explain why i like being a sub to her and she didnt get it. she think the whole ( master is evil) ( u like anal you have to be gay) all those things.

im going to show her this cause if this doesnt help then im quiting bdsm cause she means more to me than life itself.
(already broke it off with my master btw if you read this post.) (for her)

LilAngel
07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
i think ill show my best friend this post. shes known me for over 6years and read my blog and thought i was pretty much crazy. though ti was degrading myself. i tried to explain why i like being a sub to her and she didnt get it. she think the whole ( master is evil) ( u like anal you have to be gay) all those things.

im going to show her this cause if this doesnt help then im quiting bdsm cause she means more to me than life itself.
(already broke it off with my master btw if you read this post.) (for her)

What I'm going to say below is coming from a completely sympathetic point of view, and please do not see it the wrong way.

This more or less like the 'Should I let my parents know who I really am?' situation. In that situation, it would be:

1. How will they take it.
2. Will they give me a chance to explain.
3. Am I ready to deal with the consequences that comes with it.

I know people who have been disowned because they were 'kinky'.

Back onto your situation.

If she doesn't get it at first, it probably means she never will.

It's just one of those things that are really hard to change in people's minds. In this case, ask yourself again: Would I rather be who I am, or would I rather be friends with this person?

YES, she might be okay with you doing it right now, but will this friendship still be intact in 20 years time?

If she doesn't get it, then she doesn't get it, and you need to re-evaluate your situation and move on.

I understand that she means more to you than you're own life, but is it really worth giving up a certain aspect of your life for her?

Remember one thing: You are who you are. And nothing can change that.

Again, please do not take this the wrong way. Think carefully. It's your life, you are in control of.