PDA

View Full Version : Posting Limits?

BettyBoop
05-23-2009, 07:16 AM
I got this idea off BluRay.
Say, a new member to the site will only be able to make a small amount of posts a day, say 10+ or whatever, so therefore it may make them not want to waste posts and therefore encourage better quality posts.
Not saying posts are low-quality.
The longer they stay around, the more they could post daily,
New user - 10 posts
Relatively new user - 30 posts or whatever
And I suppose users who aren't new, should just be able to posts whenever.
So the limiting posts thing only lasts for a new member for a certain amount of time?
Not sure if this would work, or if it is even possible.

lokelake
05-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Interesting idea.

And you know, this idea can also work for those non-new members, who wasn't posting good posts, then that member will only get a limit for a limited amount of time.

This should probably go in the suggestion zone.

BettyBoop
05-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Ah, like those on a posting probation for example.

lokelake
05-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Ah, like those on a posting probation for example.

True, oh good one.

Anjelen
Actually, this isn't a bad idea at all - as it will encourage 'newbies' to put more in their posts, and similarly, to not spam the boards with three similar requests for dares at the same time.

A daily maximum post quota of 10 for the first two, or three days, then 25 for a week - would slow down and cause these newbies some pause to think?

BettyBoop
Wrong Section. :p

lokelake
05-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Wrong Section. :p

Don't worry about it. We all make mistakes.

slave1987
05-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I got this idea off BluRay.
Say, a new member to the site will only be able to make a small amount of posts a day, say 10+ or whatever, so therefore it may make them not want to waste posts and therefore encourage better quality posts.
Not saying posts are low-quality.
The longer they stay around, the more they could post daily,
New user - 10 posts
Relatively new user - 30 posts or whatever
And I suppose users who aren't new, should just be able to posts whenever.
So the limiting posts thing only lasts for a new member for a certain amount of time?

Seems a bit unfair to me, like your saying that new members don't have as many valid posts to make as a member who's been on here for a while, by only making it apply to new members.
Also it could prevent valid or helpful posts being made on some threads as users will be limiting themselves on where they post.

Night-1991
05-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Honestly, i'm in support of this.

It may stop newbies spamming the boards, now i KNOW newbies arn't a bad thing, but most of the newbies on this site have been dumb people who can't read that get banned quickly because of underage posts and such.

Kitten
05-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I have to say I don't make a lot of quality posts either ._.
Then again, it's funny to chatter with people, instead of just going into deep conversations all the time.
It's a good idea, but a slightly unfair one.

lokelake
05-23-2009, 10:30 AM
I have to say I don't make a lot of quality posts either ._.
Then again, it's funny to chatter with people, instead of just going into deep conversations all the time.
It's a good idea, but a slightly unfair one.

It is not too unfair. I'm sure the OP was leaning towards the really awful posts.

BettyBoop
05-23-2009, 10:30 AM
It may seem unfair, but maybe it is just something that would prevent those posts that are pointless or otherwise.
And it isn't forever, it's just for a set amount of time until maybe they get the rules ect.

The godfather
05-23-2009, 10:46 AM
It's a good idea in theory but it would annoy the new members who want to make good posts and contribute (yes amazingly there are some). Also if this does happen make the lounge or at least the forum games exempt because loads of people who would stop posting there if there was a limit.

Oh and off-topic but I've tried to type this 3 times but people keep coming in when i'm typing and i have to close the internet.

Knots101
05-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Good idea. But it would not be very possible. The coding alone behind something like that would be extreme and probably to much work for anyone to bother with. And new members would most likly waste there posts on something stupid then when they run out they would probably just decide against coming back because there being restricted in there posts. The current format of fourms is not "perfect" But nothing is and it does its job nicely.

--Travis Aka Knots

The godfather
05-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Good idea. But it would not be very possible. The coding alone behind something like that would be extreme and probably to much work for anyone to bother with. And new members would most likly waste there posts on something stupid then when they run out they would probably just decide against coming back because there being restricted in there posts. The current format of fourms is not "perfect" But nothing is and it does its job nicely.

--Travis Aka Knots

i don't think it would take that much coding theres usually a limit of 60 seconds between posts and it's kinda the same. i'm not sure though.

Manbearpig
05-23-2009, 12:41 PM
It is a good idea in theory. Maybe. Lets see what Depp has to say. The only question I would have is how long you keep this for "probation" for.

BLOEM51
05-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I think we must remember that all of us were newbies at a certain stage. To put a probation on the amount of posts,will prevent some good posts to be posted

Night-1991
05-23-2009, 01:47 PM
I think we must remember that all of us were newbies at a certain stage. To put a probation on the amount of posts,will prevent some good posts to be posted

Ah, but you see, it can also help prevent the whole board spam thing that Getdare has had recently by some members.

The godfather
05-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Ah, but you see, it can also help prevent the whole board spam thing that Getdare has had recently by some members.

but spam can be deleted the mods can't make good posts

edit: that came out wrong i meant the mods can't make other people's good posts.

nate2010
05-23-2009, 05:51 PM
This really wouldn't stop the spaming, it would just lower the ammount that is posted on here. Telling someone they can only make 10 posts a day won't always make them make better posts, it will just annoy them.

l-kelley
05-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes but what about healthy posters that post more
Like you betty for example

fork
05-24-2009, 08:42 AM
It's not unfair, and it wouldn't prevent good posts.. I've been here a long time and I still rarely make more than ten posts a day. If the limit is 10 for the first week, it's like an initiation to make sure they don't make 25 "DARE ME PLZ" posts.

If I may add to this, I think PMing should be restricted until you've made X amount of posts. I can't count how many times I get a PM from someone with 0-5 posts saying "u b my master?"
Ridiculous.

nate2010
05-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I can see how those PMs will be annoying. But making people post before they can use PMs would really irritate some people. What if a new member needs to send a pm to a mod about something? They won't be able to. And there are some people here that join and lurk, but never post, but do PM people they have met in chat or people they know from other sites. If they don't want to post on the site, but use PMs, they are probably going to post spam just so they can send PMs.

fork
05-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I can see how those PMs will be annoying. But making people post before they can use PMs would really irritate some people. What if a new member needs to send a pm to a mod about something? They won't be able to. And there are some people here that join and lurk, but never post, but do PM people they have met in chat or people they know from other sites. If they don't want to post on the site, but use PMs, they are probably going to post spam just so they can send PMs.

Well it irritates me getting about fifteen of those spam messages a day. PMing a mod can be an exception to it. If they want to join and lurk, fine, there's no need to PM people about it. If you met someone in chat and want to talk further, go to their profile and add them on a messenger (or ask them for it). If they won't give it to you, then they probably wouldn't like you to be PMing them anyway.
If you don't want to contribute to the site, I don't see why you should be able to use certain features of it anyway...

These are just my views. If you take offense, I apologize, but I'm not going to change them for you.
(and that wasn't directed at you, nate, just.. anyone xD)

The godfather
05-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Well it irritates me getting about fifteen of those spam messages a day. PMing a mod can be an exception to it. If they want to join and lurk, fine, there's no need to PM people about it. If you met someone in chat and want to talk further, go to their profile and add them on a messenger (or ask them for it). If they won't give it to you, then they probably wouldn't like you to be PMing them anyway.
If you don't want to contribute to the site, I don't see why you should be able to use certain features of it anyway...

These are just my views. If you take offense, I apologize, but I'm not going to change them for you.
(and that wasn't directed at you, nate, just.. anyone xD)

not everyone hass messenger and just because someone posts doesn't mean they contribute

fork
05-24-2009, 02:52 PM
not everyone hass messenger and just because someone posts doesn't mean they contribute

So get messenger? Or just make the minimum post requirement. It really wouldn't be that hard. 25 posts is nothing.
It would discourage people who only want to say "u git cam" from sticking around, and that's a good thing. If people REALLY want to be a part of the site.. and chat and PM and stuff like that, they'd do the initial required posts.
I know another site who doesn't let people in chat until they have 25 posts and it works out just fine.

BettyBoop
05-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't think PM needs to be limited as well. I just meant to stop spamming on threads, annoying PMs can just be ignored or reported.
It's unfair to those who actually just want to make friends over PM

fork
05-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't think PM needs to be limited as well. I just meant to stop spamming on threads, annoying PMs can just be ignored or reported.
It's unfair to those who actually just want to make friends over PM

I get that but I have never /ever/ gotten a PM about making friends.
And all of my spam reports are usually ignored -.-

lokelake
05-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I get that but I have never /ever/ gotten a PM about making friends.
And all of my spam reports are usually ignored -.-

That's becuase you don't want anyone to PM you.

But I can see why you don't want anyone to PM you.

Wow, I really went off topic. Well, I already replied, so there is really not much more for me to say.

fork
05-25-2009, 12:48 PM
That's becuase you don't want anyone to PM you.

But I can see why you don't want anyone to PM you.

Wow, I really went off topic. Well, I already replied, so there is really not much more for me to say.

No, it's not because I don't want anyone to PM me.
If you paid attention to anything, at all, you would know that the "don't PM me" bit is no longer in my signature or anywhere else on my profile, so it'd be impossible for anyone to know NOT to PM me.
Also, if they knew not to PM me, I wouldn't even get the annoying spam PMs.
.....and yeah now it's really off topic so I'm just not gonna comment here anymore.
Sorry Betty!