PDA

View Full Version : How to write a good story. (For new authors)

Smile
04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Firstly, I would like to say, this thread is inspired by something Davros said. "Bordom = Good posts" Well, get the hint, it's 05:17, I can't sleep, and there is nothing to do.

Secondly, I am not a successful author, I have never even completed a whole story on getDare, I just thought you should know that, if it helps at all, I rarely even read the storys on getDare, however, that doesn't mean to say that I don't read the comments, and don't know what makes a story good.

Part One. Don't Rush Things.

The main thing that makes a story good would simply be, don't rush things. This is a major problem that many people have when they are writing stories. I have read some stories that litrally are 2 parts long, and sound like this:

I was a new slave, I met my mistress on getDare, we talked for a bit, but then we stopped and I did my first session. It was very good, but it could have been better. Next day I woke up and I had an email from her saying I had to wear panties all day. I did this. At the end of the day, I came home and we did another session.

Something like the above is just way too fast. It has literally no detail in it, and the reader doesn't get that feeling of 'being in there' like they do for some of the other stories.

To avoid rushing yourself, when you are writing it, you just have to keep thinking to yourself "Detail, detail, detail, detail, detail". For example, the first sentence of my example above could very easily be a long part of a story. If anything, it is the most important part of the story, as it builds up the story, and makes you familliar with the characters, learn to love the nice characters, learn to hate the bad ones.

Part Two. Spelling And Grammar.

You may have seen me complaining about spelling and grammar. Yes, it is a very important part of being taken seriously when it comes to writing a story. I admit, I don't have perfect spelling, however, I try my best, and the occasional mistake in a story... No-one cares about. At all.

The best tool you will ever get for writing a story and having good spelling and grammar is... Microsoft Word. It has a brilliant spell and grammar checker. It will easily sort out any problems you have, in a very noticable way. If you don't have Microsoft Word, then there is plenty more software that will help.

As I said, no-one cares about the occasional mistake, however, if it's very constant, then no-body will read it, so what is the point in writing it?

Part Three. Inspiration.

This is often the foundation of a story.

There are many things that inspiration takes a part in. These are:
What inspired you to think of it.
What inspired you to write it.
What inspired you to continue writing it.
What inspired you to write it well.
What inspired you to finish it.

Now then, for each one of these, it could be such a basic thing, for example, the thing that inspired me to write it was the good idea. The thing that inspired me to finish it was because people were enjoying it.

There could be many reasons for each, but there is always one, no matter what you say.

If you are wanting to write a new story, but your stuck for ideas, then many people would say "Go for a nice walk" or something. Which yes, it could give you an idea, but for a story that would be expected to be on getDare, then the fact is, you are not going to be very inspired by a country side walk. Instead, I suggest surfing the internet, believe it or not, but I suggest watching some BDSM, or reading someone elses 'wacky' adventure on how they lost their virginity.

If that doesn't work for you at all, and you have tried anything, but your still stuck for ideas, then I suggest asking someone else. Maybe a member who has already written some successful stories already, I am sure that many of them would happily help you out.

Also, never force your ideas. If you want to write a story, but you really can't... don't. Wait.

Part Four. The Writing Of The Story.

Stop! Don't do what I have done in the past! Finish the story. If it is a successful story, then finish it. Because if people are really enjoying reading it, and you just leave it then people get really disappointed, and I am not saying because I have left all of mine, but more of because a lot of the ones I have read are left, and people really don't like that.

One of the main reasons that many authors leave their stories is because of pressure. DO NOT give a date for the next part of a story unless you can guarantee that it will be done by then. If you give a date, and people are enjoying it, and then you don't meet your date, then people will start to complain. I disagree with the reason why they are complaining, as they aren't paying for a service, and you are simply doing this in your own time, but there you go.

Another common reason why you would leave a story is just bordom. It happens to everyone, but you can't let it get to you. If you write the entire story, and then post it bit-by-bit then it is a lot easier, however, if you just do it over time, then you will get sick of writing it.

I hope that I have covered everything, and although I have got that feeling that you get when you have forgotten something important, oh well.

I hope this helps :)

CollaredBlondie
04-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Another good advice thread from Smile :D

I will say one thing regarding Microsoft Word - it doesn't always pick up your mistakes. I mean, word confusion (too/to/two etc) so another soloution would eb to run is through Spellchecker, and then ask a friend to read it. They're more likely to pick up additional mistakes.

This is a well known and well tested method. I mean, in my Creative Writing course, we're encouraged to do this all the time and yeah, it really does work.

Smile
04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Hope you don't mind, Smile, but I threw this in...

Also, never force your ideas. If you want to write a story, but you really can't... don't. Wait.

Also, really good post. As I've already told you, you really deserved the Outstanding Award and this thread shows why.

So yay ^_^

Thank 'oo Davros :p

By the way, anyone who has anything to add, just post it and I am sure a mod or someone will put it in :)

Another good advice thread from Smile :D

I will say one thing regarding Microsoft Word - it doesn't always pick up your mistakes. I mean, word confusion (too/to/two etc) so another soloution would eb to run is through Spellchecker, and then ask a friend to read it. They're more likely to pick up additional mistakes.

This is a well known and well tested method. I mean, in my Creative Writing course, we're encouraged to do this all the time and yeah, it really does work.

Very true about the MS Word thing. Although, it is always a better solution compared to tlking lik tis. Often it isn't bad spelling because no effort has been put in, but simply because they are a bad speller, or a bad typer prone to mistakes.

Thank you Davros and CollaredBlondie :p

Officelover
04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Awesome post for new authors!

And yes, Smile, hypothetical rep to you too.

lil'baby-jo
04-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Yes, a V. good thread,

At the minute I am writing a story,
(though not on this site even though I may add it on)

This is full of good hints and tips,

Thank-you.

xXx JoJo xXx

BettyBoop
10-29-2009, 08:32 AM
This is terrific, if you're thinking of writing a story do read this.
I mean, I didn't, but I wasn't aware :p