PDA

View Full Version : Locking Topics..c'mon guys seriously?

Dice7
04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Just seen 2 more topics locked for no reason and its really pretty frustrating. A dare is a dare an always will be a dare. Why have the dare section at all if a dare becomes 'invalid' after a certain amount of time? Why have the search function active if old topics are bad? I can understand locking a topic if someone asks a question which is then answered and then 3 years later someone says 'yea' but other than that why lock good topics? The other day one of Daniblondes full of series was locked without explanation, I reported it to ask why and go no response.

Come on guys I know theres a bunch of you and you probably all want to look like your doing something but please don't lock every old topic, otherwise you might as well go to a '4chan' style 10 pages and its gone system.

SubMissChievous
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Erm... Dice... the thread I've locked earlier was one in TorD made by Glutgod in November of 2007. Seeing that he's not very active anymore and that his thread was 1 1/2 year old I figured that he was not looking for any more dares then...

As for the threads in some other sections like Dare or the S/M Lounge, I presonally don't lock them however I ask users that if they want to post in older threads that they post something a bit more contributive than "hey, good dare lol"

The problem with bumping is that some people, like you, prefer them open (and I agree as long as users don't bump just for the heck of it) but some other users hate it and report those. So moderators have a choice to make and it's not really because we want to look as if we doing something... We already plenty to do :)

Dice7
04-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't see how anyone can be offended by a dare in the appropriate section, whatever date is was made on. Just because the darer is less active now doesn't mean that having old dares given a new breath of life on page 1 is a bad thing.

If I saw a dare I liked deep in the bowels of getdare would it be better to bump it or make a totally new topic about it under my name so that the 'sell by date' is nice and fresh?

fork
04-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Why was wicked's unfinished stories thread locked? No explanation was given..

Dice7
04-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't get it, you say your so busy but you seem to have quite a few staff and are locking topics for very little, surely if anything your just making more work for yourselves...

fork
04-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't get it, you say your so busy but you seem to have quite a few staff and are locking topics for very little, surely if anything your just making more work for yourselves...

I agree, completely. Completely.

SubMissChievous
04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Okay here's how I handle locking, personally:

Truth: I don't lock. New members arrive, they find interesting threads, questionnaires, etc. and they reply. I don't care how old the thread is.

Dare: It depends on the situation but normally I'll leave it open and if someone bumps with something that's not really contributive I'll ask them nicely to check the dates and/or put a bit more thought in their post.

TorD stories: I'll lock if the thread is old, bumped and the OP hasn't showed up in the last few months or on user's request.

S/M area: There's an automatic lock after 2 months so I'll lock only on user's request.

Lounge: Again it depends but normally only lock on user's request or if the thread serves no purpose anymore.

TorD Online: Like today: someone post a dare to another user who's not active anymore and the thread is 18 months old. That's a lock.

getdare.com: see Lounge.

That being said each staff member apply rules and deal with reports to their own discretion which may vary. We get a LOT more reports about bumping than we do about locked threads. So if we don't have any report about it with at least an url, then quite frankly, I'm not gonna go through hundreds of posts just to make sure of what is locked and what isn't.

fork
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
What is your policy on deleting posts? :p

SubMissChievous
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
What is your policy on deleting posts? :p

I don't delete unless it's on user's request, blatant backseat modding or off-topic junk. In other words, and to answer your "hidden" and subtle question, no, I did not delete any of your posts :)

And, once again, deletion just as locking is up to each staff members' discretion.