PDA

View Full Version : 'Respect'

RenaisanceMan
03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
What is respect?

Especially when brought into light in this lifestyle choice, what IS this thing we know as respect?

Ii seems to me the only people who gain respect are older mature people and those with lashings of experience. Which frankly is appauling.

I, as a young Master receive little to no respect at all from those who claim to be submissive or in fact dominant. Because of my 'youth' and lack of experience due to constantly being ignored or rejected, I am therefore unworthy of respect?

Respect has to be earned?

That is utter CRAP. It is a pitiful way to make poeple do what you want them to do just so that they can gain your respect, it is pathetic.

Respect should be given and received at all times until such a person has lost the right to it. Due to some circumstance, such as a crime or etcetera.

Respect is a RIGHT not a privelage.

Any other opinions on this matter are freely received and the subject is openly up for debate.

Smile
03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
From what I have learnt in life, respect is neither earned, or given with experience. If a very dominant person stays a role model and is someone to 'fear' then they will recieve respect out of fear of the consiquences, however, doing this too much will make you disliked, so you have to be friendly, but firm.

I am assuming the same princible apply's for S&M.

Sarge90
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Personally, I feel respected by both my peers and elders, and I'm only 19. With many I have earned their respect through my actions, even if I don't know the person that well.

I'm not sure I agree about it being given immediately, as some people give the benefit of the doubt and respect others until it is lost, where others require it to be earned, and of those two groups, the respect of the latter is slightly more highly valued, at least, in my opinion.

I find that the respect of just anybody isn't exactly important, but the respect of those who I respect and admire matters a lot.

However, I agree there is a theory that more experienced and older individuals should be respected more than younger ones, and that's not right, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to change just because it's slightly discriminatory, so it's up to the person themselves to prove their worth before they can be as respected, or even more respected, than the older generation.

Just my thoughts on the subject, feel free to disagree.