PDA

View Full Version : Are people lying half the time? OR What about the sense of community?

latenight
07-14-2013, 06:44 PM
TL;DR How often do you think people lie about the dares they're doing? Can we set up small communities to fix this through "peer pressure"?

It seems to me like half the time people aren't doing the dares they are claiming to do. Some of the dares I've seen dished out and reported on just seem to unbelievable. I know I end up ignoring about half the dares I'm given even though they are technically in my limits, because they are either not fun at all, too challenging, or both. How seriously do you take other people's word when they tell you they will not cum for a whole month, or that they went for a naked jog outside in broad daylight?

I'd also like to propose a new idea. I recall truth or dare in high-school being all about manipulating peer pressure to get people to do stuff they didn't want to do or secretly did want to do, but couldn't tell. It seems to me like getdare misses the point here, because there is no peer pressure once the dare has been assigned. If a person was surrounded by friends who were rooting for them to complete a dare and reacting to his performance, they would be more likely to finish the dare and to enjoy the attention in the process. When a person dares me and and then vanished into the void of the internet, I feel no motivation to follow through. What I propose to fix this is to arrange some sort of small group dynamic, where you would have a bunch of people as your regular friends on getdare, and dares wold be traded inside the group. A person would then be encouraged by the group to follow through with the dares or face the punishment of shaming from the rest of the group. They would also earn respect in the group by finishing the dare properly. These groups can't be too big, or internet anonymity would kick in and destroy they dynamic. This would mimic the high-school truth or dare experience more closely. What do you guys think?

MeisterDerWagt
07-14-2013, 07:32 PM
I think there's more storytellers in the request TORD section than people doing the dares.

I've only PM'd 3 dares, as part of the geoguessr game I ranked highly in. I don't think either of the first two did it, I had no response. The 3rd I believe did, the report was good. There were not hard dares to do, only needed some light effort (like, find string).

I've never received a dare by PM, I need to loose a game. I do think the game threads are better for getting dares done, you are more invested in them.

twotothetenth
07-15-2013, 01:46 AM
I'd also like to propose a new idea. I recall truth or dare in high-school being all about manipulating peer pressure to get people to do stuff they didn't want to do or secretly did want to do, but couldn't tell. It seems to me like getdare misses the point here, because there is no peer pressure once the dare has been assigned. If a person was surrounded by friends who were rooting for them to complete a dare and reacting to his performance, they would be more likely to finish the dare and to enjoy the attention in the process. When a person dares me and and then vanished into the void of the internet, I feel no motivation to follow through. What I propose to fix this is to arrange some sort of small group dynamic, where you would have a bunch of people as your regular friends on getdare, and dares wold be traded inside the group. A person would then be encouraged by the group to follow through with the dares or face the punishment of shaming from the rest of the group. They would also earn respect in the group by finishing the dare properly. These groups can't be too big, or internet anonymity would kick in and destroy they dynamic. This would mimic the high-school truth or dare experience more closely. What do you guys think?

1. Talk to people
2. Get to know them
3. Become friends
4. ???
5. PROFIT!!!

Other than that, I really can't see any other mechanism to create such a group.

Kitten
07-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Half the time? I dare say over 90% of all reports of what happened during a dare is complete and utter BS. Just look at the front page-- I've seen people reacting to dares like "Wedgie yourself" with stories about forced, tied and public gangbangs. What I understand even less is the people that take it seriously.

In fact, muffinfairy and I had a thread dedicated to making up the least credible responses to dares AND PEOPLE STILL BOUGHT IT. There was a point where she posted something about me performing oral sex on zoo animals in public, I think... Or something related in any case. I don't understand why someone would (pretend to) believe it, and I don't think I ever will.

Edit; This is what I found in aprox. 5 minutes and these are the more plausible scenario's I see on the frontpage at least. On the forums it still ranges from unlikely but not impossible, to you have to be clinically insane to believe it.

http://i.imgur.com/MlwL0kE.png http://i.imgur.com/VsAGNLf.png http://i.imgur.com/B6BbQk8.png

SgtClunge
07-15-2013, 02:55 AM
That's some good evidence. I think people are allowed to get away with it often because a lot of people like to believe it's true. Members that are trustworthy will be believed, others are just humored.

MeisterDerWagt
07-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Gamify it, darers can give a greed ability rating.

studley21
07-15-2013, 07:06 PM
I agree there is now way people do some of the dares that are sent to them, I have received some dares that should never be tried by any human being. Main reason why I tend to stick to the webcam dares or try to ask for pics in return, its hard with that even though as I dare with anyone I lose to regardless but there seems to be less then a handful of females that will show any proof via cam or pics, I completely understand privacy in terms of people finding out who you are as I don't show my face myself but aside from that its extremly hard to ID you otherwise.

The groups thing you propose is a good idea and makes it more personalized as I think you mentioned,one thing I didn't see is how though do you really know they did the dare? or maybe I just missed the point of being that the dares are all realistic either way I like what you have started and maybe we can get something like you have proposed off the ground

Just my 2 cents

Rose_Angel
07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Yea, I'm sure there are a lot of fakers out there, and I would agree with kitten that at least 90% of them are fake. I've personally never publicly asked for dares. I found a handful of people on the site that seemed to be interesting and talked with them privately, and then "played" a bit. In the process, I had several of my gD friends connect with each other. It was like my own little group so to speak.

One thing that allows me to believe someone is if they write a decent report. If they're lying when writing a decent report... at least it gives us pleasure to read them.

If you want small groups to do those types of things, find people you trust and set it up yourself, or figure out a decent thing to make to see if people would be interested in such, and be fairly picky on who you let in. Be sure to do some research and ensure that the people you "accept" in your own group write decent reports.

I just don't personally see how gD itself would create them.. seems like something you'd do with others outside of gD.

Darius Sly
07-15-2013, 09:19 PM
As far as making groups go, if you were to put it in the system, it be something as simple as group making either being something only a member on a distinguished level could achieve or maybe something even a tad bit more beneficial to the site by allowing people who pay a very very minor subscription fee to able to at least invite people to a group and possibly establish admins/mods etc to manage and properly recruit. Kind of like setting up a group on a facebook page but your throwing maybe a buck or two monthly or so (probably not even) to be allowed to manage groups like these. That way given the extra work in coding and etc that it takes to make it happen, there will be that bit of compensation. Just spit balling here.

As far at the topic of discussion goes, seriously I can't get over how hollow a report sounds. When you lay out something specifically meant to more psychologically engaging, playing to their senses, and/or just very very small things that can bring more arousal just for knowing something that no one else around you knows, and in the end you get what?

"I did the thing, it was fun, keep posting"
"I was so scared but I did it anyways"
or an attempt to throw you off to make it sound like they were going to do it.
"I was going to do it but a few minutes into I had to stop"

As opposed to

"After putting the rest of my clothes into the bag and hiding them, I'm started trembling. It was cold and I was terrified of being caught, even though someone would have to bust this door open just to know what I was doing. I couldn't keep my fingers from shaking. After a few minutes of trying to calm myself down, I slowly unlocked the door, keeping a close ear on what was out side. A few creaks from the house made my skin crawl but overall I knew it was safe."

The site is your opportunity to share what you've done with people of similar interest and likes who can critique, applaud, or suggest. If you put yourself through something terrifyingly arousing and your going to share it anyways, go all out and describe what was itching your mind.

Alexis Rune
07-16-2013, 06:33 AM
For the few dares sent to me directly, I have generally sent back a decent report and/or non-face pics. I have recently begun tracking the dares that I do, don't do, or that are in progress, wish I would have done so when I first joined. I think it helps me show others that I am somewhat real about the dares that I do...
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/blog.php?b=68308

Shadowice
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
If I dont know the person beforehand, I generally wait and see a few of their reports you can usually tell the serious ones from fakes by the quality of reports. If they took the time to do the dare/task most of the time they are going to be proud enough to tell you all about it.

Sindrato
07-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Frankly, I do not see the groups idea working. Yes, it's a nice idea, but it's just not practical. Of course, you could always form your own group with a few friends, but I just don't see it integrated into this site.

As far as reports go, I've found that many, many people judge if someone has done a dare by how "poetic" their report was. While I do agree that a good report is important, not everyone has the writing skills needed to satisfy some of the more serious members of this community. Actually, those who fake their reports may damage those who actually do their dares, just because this community has grown so weary of fakers.

As to why the people do it... I'm pretty puzzled there. It could be that their fantasy of being the perfect sub/dom makes them imagine reports (Possibly even thinking something around the lines of: "Oh, well, I just don't fell like doing this now, but I would totally do it if this was in RL"), or believe them. However, a well written report, as well as a poorly written one, is no evidence whatsoever, and it's natural that some people, especially the ladies, on this site dislike sending photos, simply because of the sheer number of people who come to this site looking for a quick wank.

latenight
07-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks everyone for answering.
It looks like some of the senior users know each other by name and that you may have at one point or another maintained a small group mentality. What I'm looking for really is a small group of people who would be into daring each other and also provifing the encouragement to follow through on the dares. It doesn't have to be a feature of the site, but just something you do in private.

There are lots of threads popping up about farm/castle/workplace RP games but there are too many people joining and not enough playing along. I joined a dare tournament once, but I was the only one who sent in pictures.

Can any of you think of a way to slowly cultivate a small group of faithful dare buddies?

Black_label
07-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone for answering.
It looks like some of the senior users know each other by name and that you may have at one point or another maintained a small group mentality. What I'm looking for really is a small group of people who would be into daring each other and also provifing the encouragement to follow through on the dares. It doesn't have to be a feature of the site, but just something you do in private.

There are lots of threads popping up about farm/castle/workplace RP games but there are too many people joining and not enough playing along. I joined a dare tournament once, but I was the only one who sent in pictures.

Can any of you think of a way to slowly cultivate a small group of faithful dare buddies?

don't be a creeper.
my best guess

latenight
07-31-2013, 10:20 AM
When you say creeper...?

12356416514a
07-31-2013, 04:27 PM
People are never honest about these things.

There was a thread about penis sizes, people posted theirs and a dare and if the next person had a bigger one they had to do it. Now, do you think that a person that says "Hey my dick is 2 inch and if the next person has a bigger one I'll be his cam slave. I really hope his one is smaller, I dont want to be a cam slave :(:(:(" is honest?

People that ask for dares are not new, they exist since it's possible to ask other people crap on the internet. All these old community's like the ASN board or even literotica ban and ignore automatically every person that asks for a dare. There is a reason why they do it.

Just lean back and watch this community for a little while and you'll see what I mean.

iSpuds
07-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Perhaps I'm a minority when it comes to this subject, but, to be honest, I couldn't care less about whether or not someone has done a dare I've assigned.

Think about it, why do you REALLY give dares? Does it impact your life at all if someone did or did not do a dare? Isn't your only real payoff getting a report or pictures "proving" a dare has been completed? What difference does it make if it's totally fabricated? If you didn't think about whether or not the dare had actually been done, couldn't you still get your kicks just reading the report anyway?

Rarely ever do I just give random dares to people or even participate in the Request TORD section, and when I do, it's like saying, "Here's a scenario (dare) I want you to put yourself in, now you write me a sexy little story (report) about what happened." They get themselves a false sense of pride about the dare they DIDN'T complete, thinking they've fooled me; I rub one out to a "report" that is essentially literotica, and everyone's happy. But mostly I stick to person above threads that are really only useful for receiving dares in exchange for giving them.

On the side I meet a few good people who are willing to give good dares as well as perform the dares I give. Of these people I might even gain a submissive or two. And out of everyone, it's my submissives who I really give a fuck about, when it comes to following my directions. Everyone else is small fry.

Alexis Rune
08-01-2013, 07:25 AM
I get what you are saying about getdare being a type of collaborative erotica. On the other hand, I think that some users get their thrill more from an actual feeling of control (as much as can be had online) and can understand why they would be irritated at people faking. I just think they are two different ways to approach and use the site.

twotothetenth
08-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Think about it, why do you REALLY give dares? Does it impact your life at all if someone did or did not do a dare? Isn't your only real payoff getting a report or pictures "proving" a dare has been completed? What difference does it make if it's totally fabricated? If you didn't think about whether or not the dare had actually been done, couldn't you still get your kicks just reading the report anyway?

Rarely ever do I just give random dares to people or even participate in the Request TORD section, and when I do, it's like saying, "Here's a scenario (dare) I want you to put yourself in, now you write me a sexy little story (report) about what happened." They get themselves a false sense of pride about the dare they DIDN'T complete, thinking they've fooled me; I rub one out to a "report" that is essentially literotica, and everyone's happy.

I get what you are saying about getdare being a type of collaborative erotica. On the other hand, I think that some users get their thrill more from an actual feeling of control (as much as can be had online) and can understand why they would be irritated at people faking. I just think they are two different ways to approach and use the site.

That and this: If you spent time making a dare actually thinking someone will do it, it's frustrating to learn they didn't. It feels like all your effort was in vain. Which, of course, makes the following the best possible tactics when it comes to this site:
Perhaps I'm a minority when it comes to this subject, but, to be honest, I couldn't care less about whether or not someone has done a dare I've assigned.

12356416514a
08-01-2013, 12:34 PM

I don't care if it's real or not, what I don't like is the fact that people post them like it is real.

iSpuds
08-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I don't care if it's real or not, what I don't like is the fact that people post them like it is real.

Well that's my point...if it doesn't matter whether or not the report is authentic, why would it matter whether or not they post it as though it actually happened? I enter the internet with the notion that everyone is probably a liar. Guilty until proven innocent. And that's completely okay.

Dareholic
08-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I take everything at face value and use my brain to determine if what they are saying is possible. Otherwise, it was atleast something different to read then a news paper or book.

Domsub
08-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I have had many conversations with 'slaves' that don't have a cam or webcam.

They ask for dares and I have in the past give them out. for example; strip and do 100 pushups. less than 5 seconds later I get a message, done what's next? So then you say ok and give next dare, this could be, run to the local shop and buy a carrot. 2 seconds later, yes sir, done what's next?

The tasks I give can't possibly be done in the time stated.

Ok, I might have over emphasised, but you can see the point I'm making.

Rose_Angel
08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Generally speaking, simply saying 'done' is something I wouldn't believe anyway.

There are of course exceptions, and even I have said similar things before (after really doing them), but they were for minor things, and often, even with minor things, I'll give a very minor, mini report.

I hope that anyone who has read any of my reports would believe that I've done everything mentioned and reported on, because I have. I pride myself on reporting what I've done, and it's one of the reasons I post, to share what a 'good' submissive I can be (and sometimes not so good, unfortunately).

Even though I pride myself on that, and of course prefer to think/believe someone who gives a good report has actually done what they say, as iSpuds and a couple others have mentioned, it's pleasing to read whether or not it is true. And if someone gives a good report, then I'm happy to give another dare or challenge. If it's a crappy report, or 'I did it, what's next' I tell them to write me a decent, detailed report before I'll even consider coming up with anything else.

For me, a few people know the stuff I do is real, as I let a very small, select number of people watch me perform certain things, but for most, reports are all one can go off.

12356416514a
08-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Well that's my point...if it doesn't matter whether or not the report is authentic, why would it matter whether or not they post it as though it actually happened?

Because it's sometimes total obvious lies, and other times they use their lies on real discussions. I don't want to hear stories about kids getting punished with nudity in school, there is no way this is going to happen. And when I have a discussion with someone else about boys and girls getting threaded equally I don't want someone to come in and tell me that they don't, because his female teacher stripped him in front of the class and his mother makes him naked in front of his sister when he is home. This is just ridiculous.

mullfaar
08-08-2013, 10:57 PM
I quite literally just joined the site after lurking for a few weeks, did i make a mistake joining here if what you are saying is true?

Showing pictures and cam is a big no for me because of personal reasons so after reading this i am left thinking that i will never be believed if i don't.

**Mandi**
08-09-2013, 04:35 AM
I quite literally just joined the site after lurking for a few weeks, did i make a mistake joining here if what you are saying is true?

Showing pictures and cam is a big no for me because of personal reasons so after reading this i am left thinking that i will never be believed if i don't.

I have never been on cam and almost never send picture proof of dares. I don't think that anyone on the site has a problem with believing that I do everything I say I have done. You just need to establish a creditable name for yourself. Whenever you do a dare write a good detailed report about it. Without pictures and other kinds of proof this is the best one can do. Don't let this thread scare you off!

Hakuna Matata
08-09-2013, 08:02 AM
If I can offer my opinion, I think that this website has a very nice community. Of course it is nice to receive a dare, and it is also nice to tell the person who gave this to you how you did this, this is why we are members of this website! But of course there have been some times when I have been asked to complete one dare, and I could not do this for a reason that it is outside of my limits, or I did not have the privacy to do this, and every person on this website has been very understanding of this. I have never felt any pressure to lie to not make somebody to be mad at me :) I think if people are feeling that they have too much pressure to complete one dare, then they only need to take some more time to talk some more to the person who is asking them to do this, so they feel more comfortable to be honest all of the time.

I agree with the member who replied to this topic earlier, saying it is silly when people only reply with "Done". I do not see why they would waste their time to be asked dares if this is how they will answer!

My only time when I have felt this website did not have a nice community is in the "Spelling for Morons" topic in the lounge. I was finding it incredible how arrogant the man who made this topic was. It is simply not fair to judge a person for they way they are using the English language. Some people may not have a very good education, some people may have dyslexia, and from reading this website, many members (and I am in this list :) ) do not speak with English as their home language. To expect everybody to always speak with perfect English is very disrespectful, and especially to answer with "use a spelling checker" was amazing! My Google Chrome language is not English, so every word in this message I am writing is with a red line, am I supposed to check all of my words in a dictionary, just in case I have made one mistake?! To allow a post like this to be made, and then to make it sticky is very discriminating to those without perfect English, and can make some people, including me, to feel very inferior and like I should not be here.

12356416514a
08-09-2013, 04:40 PM
a nice community? This forum has like one of the worst member base ever. Apart from all the seriously sick persons, there are people here that are into sex with kids or animals, some of them are also douches. Do you know how many people here shared pictures of their wives or their sisters panties here? You think those wives are happy about their pictures being spread around the internet?

But well, if you are into dares this is the only place. As far as I know there aren't any other places for dares.

Mephistopheles
08-09-2013, 04:52 PM
a nice community? This forum has like one of the worst member base ever. Apart from all the seriously sick persons, there are people here that are into sex with kids or animals, some of them are also douches. Do you know how many people here shared pictures of their wives or their sisters panties here? You think those wives are happy about their pictures being spread around the internet?

But well, if you are into dares this is the only place. As far as I know there aren't any other places for dares.

A lot of people are awful, this is true. Getdare strives for a content neutral approach to moderation. We usually don't judge other people's kinks.

That being said, please report anything illegal involving minors. We take that extremely seriously and ban/remove/report to authorities when we see it.

On a more personal note: there are tons of cool people here. Just ignore the people with dumb comments and awful interests and interact with the better ones where you can.

Buckeyes11
08-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Kitten I read your thread the amount of people that believed was ridiculous and those that did obliviously are faking dares

alexe32
08-09-2013, 07:44 PM
This site is like any online community. I've lurked for a while and just joined recently. You get your obvious creepers and annoying pricks, you get your people that are legitimately just trying to enjoy themselves, and then you meet some pretty awesome people along the way. There are fakers in every crowd, but there are pretty cool people in most crowds too. If a person seems sensible and honest, why not give them the benefit of the doubt? If someone seems to be out in left field or making things up, I see no problem being a bit skeptical. It all comes down to judgment. The fakers, however, tend to weed themselves out of any community sooner or later, while the legitimate participants will likely build a reputation within that community. If you're honest and not making things up, I feel like you'll last on here if you want to. If you're just constantly making things up, most trolls flame out sooner or later.

alexe32
08-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Rarely ever do I just give random dares to people or even participate in the Request TORD section, and when I do, it's like saying, "Here's a scenario (dare) I want you to put yourself in, now you write me a sexy little story (report) about what happened." They get themselves a false sense of pride about the dare they DIDN'T complete, thinking they've fooled me; I rub one out to a "report" that is essentially literotica, and everyone's happy. But mostly I stick to person above threads that are really only useful for receiving dares in exchange for giving them.

On the side I meet a few good people who are willing to give good dares as well as perform the dares I give. Of these people I might even gain a submissive or two. And out of everyone, it's my submissives who I really give a fuck about, when it comes to following my directions. Everyone else is small fry.

iSpuds speaks truth. Nicely put.

StrawDog
08-09-2013, 09:26 PM
In any community, especially an online one, you are going to meet people who are dishonest or manipulative. That is just the way it goes. However, you will also find intelligent, articulate and genuine people who want to connect, gain experience, and have fun.

Of course you want to weed out the bad elements and find a group of people to have a good time with, who share your interests and desires and allow intimacy. Usually, that doesn't just happen; it takes care and effort. Complaining about the poorer elements is like trying to whip back the tide, and a waste of energy. When you meet someone, do you totally expose yourself to them immediately? If not, do you think that should happen here?

I'm loathe to give advice, but I would suggest just being yourself, and building up some posts around things that interest you. As it has been said; the fakers generally reveal themselves over time. Concentrate on building your own profile, make respectful contact with people who post things you are interested in and enjoy.

The frustration you may feel - think about how others may feel the same. Think about how there are people just like you who want to make contact with others and are not sure how, or who is honest. Think about the kind of things you yourself would look for to assess another and broadcast those signals. Be the kind of person you want to attract or see more of in the community. That is how you improve things.

For my own part, I've met some truly incredible people here who have given me immense pleasure and happiness, people who I have genuine care for and interest in. It takes time and energy, but isn't that what it's all about?