PDA

View Full Version : Story forum should be different

qwertypete
08-08-2008, 04:02 PM
It might just be me but I find that the story forum is the hardest for me to keep track of. I always end up wondering if I read a story, or a specific part of a story, and I end up rereading it.

My suggestion is for there to be some sort of note system where you can check off if you read the post, and it'll save to your profile so next time you don't have to think about if you read it. Also when the original authors post a new part I think we should have some sort of alert.

AverageDaniel
08-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Well, when something new has been posted, the link is dark blue. Do you really need more than that?

Davros
08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Also when the original authors post a new part I think we should have some sort of alert.

How can the system detect new parts? Coz other members post in the threads with comments too.

qwertypete
08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Yes. :)

I'll explain. A lot of the new things are comments, and I can never tell if it's a new part or not. I tend to read multiple stories at once, and don't want to waste time re-reading parts.

EDIT: Well they could implement it a way so that it alerts you whenever the original poster replies, OR so it ONLY shows the original poster's posts.

Davros
08-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes. :)

I'll explain. A lot of the new things are comments, and I can never tell if it's a new part or not. I tend to read multiple stories at once, and don't want to waste time re-reading parts.

EDIT: Well they could implement it a way so that it alerts you whenever the original poster replies, OR so it ONLY shows the original poster's posts.

Or authors could write "Part #" in the titles as they post. Which most do xD

qwertypete
08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Or authors could write "Part #" in the titles as they post. Which most do xD

Okay but my point is that I don't keep track of the part numbers or anything and I'm sure some others do. I get by, but a lot slower than I would if there was a better way of keeping track.

Davros
08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Okay but my point is that I don't keep track of the part numbers or anything and I'm sure some others do. I get by, but a lot slower than I would if there was a better way of keeping track.

Subscribe to threads you're reading?

Lizard
08-10-2008, 01:51 PM
This could be solved if authors would post their entire story rather than writing and posting a bit here and a bit there. DragonofDares, and I think others, have made comments that it is quite annoying to find a few bits of a story and then have the author never fiinish it.

I would really ike it if some of you authers did not post just on chapter than stop. Because i have been reading a few stories, and could not wait to get to the next chapter..There was none. Atlest say its discontinued if your gonna stop it.

I agree with qwertypete inasmuch as even when subscribed to a thread I end up finding that the 'update' is just a response to the author. This could be solved if authors would finish their stories and post them, even if they need to be posted in multiple messages of the thread, all at the same time.

I personally am working on two stories, and I'd never consider posting a small bit of a story before completing the whole story. I guess I like to go back and reread everything (several times) to make sure that there is consitency from beginning to end, and that it is as good as it can be. While I know this is personal preference, I do think that it is disrespectful of an author towards his/her readers not to 'edit' their stories before posting; a good plot can be completely ruined by a poorly composed essay. Yes, this takes longer for the author, but in the end the author will have a better 'product' and the reader a more enjoyable experience.

So, I guess what Im saying is that maybe the GetDare environment does not need to change, as much as the posting practices do.

qwertypete
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
This could be solved if authors would post their entire story rather than writing and posting a bit here and a bit there. DragonofDares, and I think others, have made comments that it is quite annoying to find a few bits of a story and then have the author never fiinish it.

I agree with qwertypete inasmuch as even when subscribed to a thread I end up finding that the 'update' is just a response to the author. This could be solved if authors would finish their stories and post them, even if they need to be posted in multiple messages of the thread, all at the same time.

I personally am working on two stories, and I'd never consider posting a small bit of a story before completing the whole story. I guess I like to go back and reread everything (several times) to make sure that there is consitency from beginning to end, and that it is as good as it can be. While I know this is personal preference, I do think that it is disrespectful of an author towards his/her readers not to 'edit' their stories before posting; a good plot can be completely ruined by a poorly composed essay. Yes, this takes longer for the author, but in the end the author will have a better 'product' and the reader a more enjoyable experience.

So, I guess what Im saying is that maybe the GetDare environment does not need to change, as much as the posting practices do.

Yes you're exactly right, but I'm almost sure that's not going to happen. There'll always be that one person that's either not going to finish it or just have you waiting searching through threads for the next one. All I'm asking for is a way you can just read the original poster's comments in the same thread (not by going to view other thread's by <user>).

I really don't understand why you have to argue over it Davros, because it is an issue. It may not be a problem to you, but not everyone can spend all day on these forums. I'd generally like to get in and out as fast as I can, as with any forum.