PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming Newbies With Bad Rep... :/

SubMissChievous
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes kids this is yet another thread about rep… Fun uh? No not really… :(

I wasn’t quite sure where I wanted to post this at first, I thought about bringing this to other staff members privately but finally chose to make this public as I see there seems to be quite a lot of people who are getting increasingly obsessed with our reputation system (which, again, is only an extra feature here…)

Here’s my main concern: the last few days I have checked the reputation of several newbies. People who have been here for a month or less and with very few posts managed to get greeted by some “older” members with bad rep for some reasons that are… let’s say “more or less valid”. And what I mean by that is really giving bad rep for spelling (even typos) or for users who somehow posted in the wrong section or for “bumped” threads… Has it occurred to any of those people who are “welcoming” newbies like that that if they don’t spell perfectly maybe it’s because english is not their first language? If they posted in the wrong section or “bumped” a thread or forgot to read the threads’ dates & such do you really think they do this on purpose? Come on! :rolleyes:

I’m getting quite worried about this current situation because I can see why some of these people would get a bad impression of our site & not come back… Why would they come back if that’s how they are greeted by regular users? Give them a damn chance to get acquainted with the site before jumping on them at the first occasion, dammit! And leave the posts that are in the wrong sections & the likes to the staff, please.

Now I think everyone knows how fed up I am about this reputation thing so I’m not gonna stretch it more here… But instead what I’m gonna do is publicly ask depp to disable my own rep (as he has done for his) as well as send a PM requesting it. I’m sick of it! If it’s so important to others then fair enough but personally I just don’t really need a bunch of green dots to know how awesome I am… So in the future anyone wants to leave me a comment then please do so by private messaging (I know some of you who already do this anyway).

Thanks for taking the time to read this & please let’s all be nicer & more welcoming to new users! :)

ramsies11
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
...wow...
didnt know this was happening 0.0

nolz95
08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I agree. Even when I first came to Getdare I got bad rep for bumping I didnt even know what bumping was at the time.
I also think that people should not give a bad rep for reasons that are pointless to even mention like typos.
some people may have disabilaties and may have a hard time with words and things like that.
i think people should always check to see if a person is a newbie or if they are from a foreign country because if they are, chances are they don't speak english as well as we do.

erick92
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
When I see a new user I normally just leave them an anonymous +rep and comment welcoming them. Typo's don't really bother me, and I certainly would never give -rep to anyone for a few spelling mistakes. Hell, I've seen some senior members make more spelling mistakes then a new user, but I don't give them -rep for it. Anyways, I hope this clears up with the "welcoming" of new users.

nolz95
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
somebody acually reped me saying "dunno what bumping is read rules" and gave me a bad rep and it was right after i posted my first comment on this thread when i said i didnt know what it was when i first came here.people should read what people say before reping them.

soldier
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Well done Chloe. At last someone with the moral courage to speak up. Let's just be a little more patient and less anal, people. Unless anal is your thing of course, in which case, crack on (if you'll pardon the phrase).:D

Bandit|Queen
08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
If all you do is sit there and give people bad rep for spelling or bumbing a thread then you seriously need a hobby!

youngscotsman
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
i didnt no wot bumpin was till i got a couple of negitive reps on it,

vivala_dare
08-06-2008, 12:35 PM
can i get my rep disabled coz to be honest i cant be doing with it.

Davros
08-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I once suggested a feature in the Suggestion Zone where members can activate or disable their rep features.

But if it's disabled, they shouldn't be able to give rep either.

Then it's all fair :D

vivala_dare
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
yeh or can only give good rep and not bad maybe

either way i would get rid ove my rep

war990
08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Finally!!! This has been on my mind for awhile too... I had to choose what to post I should do this one or the pee or poop one. I was thinking about doing both but thought that people would get mad. Anyway thank you for bringing this up I see people getting mad too for having bad grammar and other problems like bumping so Bravo for saying it!!!!

Musty 21
08-13-2008, 06:27 PM
cole... your mean... and right..

the_boy
08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I totally agree with you chloe when you say the the older users should lighten up on us newbeas, I had one person give me the dictionary definition of a word that I spelled wrong, and it really sucked.

freak
08-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I am a long time member on another forums that had this trouble. I have the 4th or 5th largest amount of rep on that forums. Never abused it.
I always welcomed new people with + rep lol.
But because of the amount of trouble they set rules. No abusing the -rep system, thoughs who abused it had the -rep power removed.
Instead of disabling rep, Wouldnt that be a better idea here?
You could even apoint some "rep mods" If you think the current mods couldnt handle the load on top of everything else.

Davros
08-17-2008, 02:24 AM
I am a long time member on another forums that had this trouble. I have the 4th or 5th largest amount of rep on that forums. Never abused it.
I always welcomed new people with + rep lol.
But because of the amount of trouble they set rules. No abusing the -rep system, thoughs who abused it had the -rep power removed.
Instead of disabling rep, Wouldnt that be a better idea here?
You could even apoint some "rep mods" If you think the current mods couldnt handle the load on top of everything else.

We discussed rep mods, but we deemed it would be boring x_x

It's only disabled for now, but Depp has some other cool ideas ^_^

ramsies11
08-17-2008, 06:42 AM
go depp,you rule!
*this post is nolonger too short*

naked40
08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Glad to see someone has raised this.
Before I went on holiday I had several negative reps left for trivial matters.
Was wondering whether to continue using the site.
Yes I made mistakes, but I was new to the site...

SubMissChievous
08-17-2008, 11:06 AM

I don't think we will ever see the day where rep mods will be needed here... The rep system is (yeah I'll repeat it!) an extra feature on the site. If mods are needed to take care of that it would only show that it is too much trouble & that we need to get rid of it completely. The problem is mainly that the majority of users don't report abuse. So without knowing what is going on there's no way for us to do anything to prevent it then. Since I've been moderator here I've heard lots of people shit & moan about the system but had only 2 reports about comments that were indeed clearly abusive. When I log in I have already to check reported posts, read PMs, threads & blogs... Quite frankly I couldn't be bothered to read the rep comments on top of that... The only reason I did last week was because of another thread from a newbie who pointed this problem & I had noticed that, indeed, there were a lot of people who were new here who had low rep despite having little posts & been here for a month or less. But otherwise I won't sneak in there unless I have to.

And, of course, you got also those who swap rep between each other just to big themselves up... Obviously these people won't report themselves, right?

I have no idea what depp has worked out to solve the issue but I trust it will be better than how it was before it got disabled. I just hope that some users will wake up, smell the coffee & realize that these are only green, golden & red dots on a computer screen & in the end it doesn't change anything...

freak
08-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Lol, people will always moan about rep systems.
I'm not sure any amount of rules would change it.
Its always seemed rather trivial to me, not sure why people really care...
. I just hope that some users will wake up, smell the coffee & realize that these are only green, golden & red dots on a computer screen & in the end it doesn't change anything...
Haha, one can dream.. ;-p

deadbodyman131
09-29-2008, 06:47 PM
how exactly does the rep work?

GetOff
09-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Ya and I don't need allot of red dots to no how bad ass I am

deadbodyman131
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM

i like your way of thinking:rolleyes:

SubMissChievous
09-29-2008, 07:04 PM
how exactly does the rep work?After several threads about the rep system that we had it has been disabled temporarily & will get back sometimes with some modifications that only depp knows about :)

I will respond to this with a ":)"

So since the rep's gone (for now) I think it's time to close this thread :)