PDA

View Full Version : any VW/Mercedes Mechanics?

PoisonIvy
06-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Just got out of school for the summer, and I got a project car from my Mom (1957 Ghia). I've also got an '85 Euro Mercedes 300D, and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who had worked on these types of cars before, that could give some advice.

I already know a lot about the Mercedes (It's my daily driver, don't have a manual so I just figured things out by myself-- and the internet of course)

I know very little in comparison about the Ghia. I Haven't driven down to the Mexico border to pick it up yet (It's at my grandfather's house) but I will be driving down to grab the engine and most of the components to rebuild pretty soon. Everything is in boxes, so don't have to worry about taking it out of the car, but I will have to worry about getting stuff in the right places and whatnot.

I am not completely foreign to the world of mechanics, though. My father's side of the family is all mechanics, and the bug was passed to me when I was 15 and I received a '79 Malibu for my first car...

Anyhow, if you read this and you know a few tips, any help would be appreciated!

I am assuming the lounge is the best place to put this, but I am fairly new and I don't haven't explored all of the forums yet.. So, Mods, if you have to move this; So sorry for the extra trouble, and keep up the excellent work!

Thanks!

~Ivy

Dravot
06-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Get a copy of the Haynes manual and a copy of How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot

If your mechanically inclined which it sounds like you are those two will give you everything you need.

Kept a 74 super beetle running for years with the same combo

PoisonIvy
06-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I think I can survive without a Mercedes manual-- which is the Haynes. I looked at one awhile back, when trying to figure out my a/c setup. Completely useless >.< The Haynes doesn't have the stuff for the '85 non-turbo 300D.

But How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot might be pretty useful. Do you know if it goes through bolt patterns and whatnot on the old Ghia's? My Dad bought a 2200cc engine for it, before my parents divorced. Do you know if I will be needing to do any fabrication work, or if it just bolts in (the engine was never installed)?

Thank for the advice Dravot!

~Ivy

Dravot
06-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I mean the Haynes manual for the Ghia as to if the engine will bolt in, I don't know offhand it depends on the block it was built on worst case you will need to buy a bolt in engine adapter.

PoisonIvy
06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Didn't know they made a Haynes for the Ghia! I'll look into it ^^

And I don't know what kinda block it is, I just know that it was new when my Dad got it, he tested it on a dyno and it wasn't putting out as much as he wanted so he took it apart, and it never got back together.
I haven't seen it yet.. but if you would like I could send some photos once I do get my hands on it

Dravot
06-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Been awhile since I worked with aircooled VW stuff but those two books should help you figure it out, googling the numbers on the block will tell you as well, at 2200 cc's its probably a bus block, which is I think what goes in a ghia normally.

PoisonIvy
06-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I know that that one came with a 1200cc engine, but that engine was discarded when my grandfather bought the car for my Mom. It had a 1600 from a '59 in it until about '96, when it got overheated, and dumped. The 2200cc was bought in... 2001? Brand new.

All the parts should be there, but who knows what the rats or the weather has stolen...

Dravot
06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
and watch out for the spiders, for some reason aircooled VW parts attracts spiders like nobodies business.

PoisonIvy
06-02-2013, 06:57 PM
and watch out for the spiders, for some reason aircooled VW parts attracts spiders like nobodies business.

This made me burst out laughing, and my girlfriend just looked at me like I was a huge idiot-- thanks mate! hahaha

Thanks for the warning xD Boxes of stuff that have been sitting in dark barn for 14 years are bound to be crawling with all sorts of things! haha