PDA

View Full Version : Going to Uni, HELP?!

Charlie!
03-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Hello, it dawned on me that it's only 6 months until I will be braving university and all that goes with it solo.

I'm worried about moving into halls, what to take, what to wear and most things that could possibly cross ones mind.

I know I'm don't post much on here but I would really appreciate some help!

Thank you!

AtticsToEden
03-24-2013, 03:21 PM
I'll be going to uni then too, and I can't wait!
The only advice I can really give is that there are thousands of people who will feel the exact same as you, and you definitely won't be the most nervous, so you're all in the same boat and you'll all manage it just fine. :3
What will you be studying?

Charlie!
03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I'll be going to uni then too, and I can't wait!
The only advice I can really give is that there are thousands of people who will feel the exact same as you, and you definitely won't be the most nervous, so you're all in the same boat and you'll all manage it just fine. :3
What will you be studying?

Me neither!
Thanks, hopefully everyone will fit in nicely!
I'm going to study law, what about you?

Ciandon
03-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Hello, it dawned on me that it's only 6 months until I will be braving university and all that goes with it solo.

I'm worried about moving into halls, what to take, what to wear and most things that could possibly cross ones mind.

I know I'm don't post much on here but I would really appreciate some help!

Thank you!

I'm headed to uni next fall as well, except I'm coming over to y'all from Texas. I'm bringing mainly just warm clothes, cause I'm in no way prepared to handle your winters, and then I'd say a comfortable mattress topper is a must so you can make bad beds feel awesome. Also a lot of spare cash for alcohol. That's definitely important.
That said I wouldn't stress too much about it - I'm of the opinion that it's so much more about the people you interact with than what you bring.

silverdarknight
03-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Don't be scared. It's a whole lot of fun.

You get to move out of your parents place and into 'your own' home.
You get to meet a whole load of new friends, because everyone else has just gone to uni and is looking to make friends as well. Join the societys that interest you, and do awesome things on the Student Union's budget.

However, if I had one piece of advice I could have given to myself when I went to uni and that I was guaranteed to listen to, it would be this:
Get up and 8am and do the damn work. Put in 8hrs a day, mon-fri, of study.
i'm not saying don't party and enjoying being young and free - infact I am saying do that rock'n'roll lifestyle thing. You may never have this much fun again, so Enjoy! (And if you do, it will either be because you didn't do it at uni, or you never stopped afterwards!)

But be aware that nobody is looking over your shoulder any more. Get into the habit of getting up in the morning and putting in a good days work, because it only get's harder from there on in.

If you want to be able to get a job you enjoy doing - well, these days you need a degree. You only get yourself to blame later.

But damn, what I wouldn't give to be 18yrs old and going to Uni again. Adventure, excitement, girls...

Experimental_Daree
03-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Take advantage of the student bars and don't neglect the library. Take the time to read all about your subject, not just what's been covered in lectures.

AtticsToEden
04-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Me neither!
Thanks, hopefully everyone will fit in nicely!
I'm going to study law, what about you?

Marketing and Advertising (:

footmuncher
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
It's mostly been said. But many others are in the same boat as well so will be looking to make friends etc. a mattress topper is a must in my eyes, it helps make life a little bit better!! A range of clothes and shoes for the varying weathers.

And on days off, use them to your advantage to get up early and crack your work off so the weekends you can party on down and relax. One thing I've done lately is work fully 7 days a week and now I'm on holiday and I've 'stopped' and relaxed my body has just dropped and I'm tired all the time and ill! Which also brings me too look after yourself! If you feel ill and don't want to go out, don't! Do what you want to do!! But make sure you make the most of uni life, both societies and clubs and the nightlife. You're only at uni once!!

Enjoy!! :D

Charlie!
04-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the help, a mattress topper is something that never even crossed my mind!

Thanks again!