PDA

View Full Version : E cigs

i love new things
03-13-2013, 09:17 PM
So I recently started using an e cig, and I was wondering if anyboy else uses one or if people have interest in there.

Grindboy
03-15-2013, 05:47 AM
I've voted for "No I don't use one and would want to" because I assume you meant "No I don't use one and wouldn't want to" since that is the negative of the above option.

i love new things
03-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Yes I did, that is my bad

silverdarknight
03-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Depends what you are looking for.

I'm a cigar smoker and was wanting to cut back, so I bought an e-cig just before a trip to spain. Having something I could toke on around the airport seemed like a good excuse to try it & make the switch.

It was...pointless. Empty, flavourless and ineffective. Also lacking a lot of the 'ritual' with smoking.

None the less, as part of the exercise was to try and cut back I made myself a rule that I was only allowed the e-cig for a month - and by the end of the month I was barely smoking anything at all because I wasn't allowed a normal smoke and the e-cig was useless.

No 'buzz' - Maybe it's because I smoked cigars, but the e-cig just didn't have the same effect at all.

Useable indoors - This is a BAD THING. Without the e-cig, you have to go out onto the patio on your own in the rain to have a smoke. With one, you can carry on chatting at the table whilst annoying people by exhaling clouds of vapour and looking like a pretentious twit with a plastic cigarette.

No portion control - You light a smoke, you have the smoke, you'r done. The e-cig just didn't have a natural endpoint and I found myself using it constantly.

No 'ritual' - One of my smoking triggers was stress management. Stopping and having a smoke was a convenient and handy way to actively take a break from whatever I was doing for a few minutes. What I would do for five mins was go and have a smoke. The fact that I didn't have you go outside to use the e-cig and that it didn't have the duration of 'about two and a half inches mate' means that it just didn't do this in the same way.

+Points:
Cheap - Once you have one, you mostly have one - the liquid for refilling is very cheap.

Convenient - No fire hazards, problems with the wind, litter or squashed smokes any more

Helps you 'ramp down' - You still have something to 'smoke' when you want to have a smoke, so there is less of an issue with trying to go cold turkey. When you want a smoke, you can pull out your e-cig - and then put it away again in frustration two minutes later. But two minutes later, the trigger has passed.

Very effective at helping you quit - I must admit, they do actually do what they claimed to do. By making the entire smoking exercise boring and near-pointless, you don't want to smoke any more!

So, yeah. It depends what you need, and it may be a very different experience for cigarette smokers. I didn't like it, but I can't argue that the net effect was a significant reduction in the quantity I smoked.

mcjib
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
I've used those shisha ones before, nowhere as good as the real thing, but better than nothing