PDA

View Full Version : get rid

vivala_dare
07-06-2008, 01:49 PM
a lot of people argue and fight all the time. hell i do it my self. we come on this site for dares so we should get along and just talk not fight. thats why we should get rid of rep points there annoying and just give people a chance to make a cheap shot at you. lets all get along theres no need to fight so from now on i am putting my gloves up and going to be more friendly. so are you joing in and not going to fight anymore or even argree you want rep points removed. what do you think? i think we should all get along so get rid of the rep!

banneduser
07-06-2008, 02:17 PM
the rep should stay. At one glance it gives you a rough idea of who is just spamming the forums up and who has a brain in their skull.

Nuff said!

Merlin
07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
The rep system is not bad in itself and like omssx said is giving an idea of the people you are dealing with. But i have to say i also like the system used on KT more (to all under 18 it is basically the same as here just without the option to give bad rep) This way you can still give people that made a good post reputation without having the problems of people using the system to attack others

Sum
07-06-2008, 02:26 PM
The rep system is not bad in itself and like omssx said is giving an idea of the people you are dealing with. But i have to say i also like the system used on KT more (to all under 18 it is basically the same as here just without the option to give bad rep) This way you can still give people that made a good post reputation without having the problems of people using the system to attack others

I've said this before, and this time you beat me to it.

sumerlin1 strikes again

SubMissChievous
07-06-2008, 02:35 PM
sumerlin1 strikes again

... and so does Chloe by moving it to the suggestion zone as I'm aware that quite a few members are not crazy about the current system & this will be their opportunity to let their voice be heard :)

But just one thing... Would fights really not happen if there was a change in the rep system as it is now?

And, yes, I like the KT system & I think it would maybe be even more fitting here...

Collared_Slave
07-06-2008, 02:51 PM
its probally the usual one: it wouldnt happen if it didnt exist
and then people find something else to fight over

Davros
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
a lot of people argue and fight all the time. hell i do it my self. we come on this site for dares so we should get along and just talk not fight. thats why we should get rid of rep points there annoying and just give people a chance to make a cheap shot at you. lets all get along theres no need to fight so from now on i am putting my gloves up and going to be more friendly. so are you joing in and not going to fight anymore or even argree you want rep points removed. what do you think? i think we should all get along so get rid of the rep!

Everyone's already said what needs to be said.

My contribution: You seem to be obsessed with rep, which isn't a good thing [I should know] so just chill out and forget about it.

vampire_girl
07-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I think the rep points give the site something extra (never seen something like it before) The problem is some people look like they are obsessed with it, while others just don't use it in the right way (according to me). Sometimes it's useful to give someone bad rep, but some people seem to think you have to give rep on every post you read. And even worse, they think you should get bad rep if your post contains one letter they don't like.
I think the rep points should be used to be constructive (yes, constructive criticism exists :p )

Maybe it would be a good idea to take away the rep points, but I wouldn't take away the good rep.
I think it should be better to limit the bad rep. Like you can give 1 bad rep if you gave 5 good rep or something like that. Like this, people will have to think about what is really bad enough to give bad rep, and what really deserves their good, before just giving rep impulsive.
Or even limit all rep, so you could only give that much rep in a week, or a day.

Hampers
07-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Mmm. As a mod I see that rep is given for the flimsiest of excuses.

Lots of people use it to just repeatedly praise (read: flirt with) the users they like, or quickly put themselves above the ones they don't.

One -rep ran along the lines of "ha ha now you have shit rep". I think that rep is best used to applaud users for wonderful posts (Like This (http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=13038)) or to discourage users from posting against the rules or detrimentally (Like This (http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=75802#post75802))

And when you've posted many wonderful posts, and have contributed to the site tremendously, and have beautiful rep (say, for example, me), you'll come to realise that it doesn't really matter.

vampire_girl
07-07-2008, 04:16 AM
LOL Hampers, you just had to get a post from yourself as example, didn't you? :D (joke)

Why can't we see all the rep we got, and only the last few? Not that it's a disaster or something, I was just wondering.
Also, isn't there a possibility to see the rep you gave yourself? Sometimes when I want to give someone rep, it says I have to spread it around first and I don't always remember for which post I already gave rep.

Sum
07-07-2008, 05:02 AM
there are limits on the amount of rep you can give in a week and how regually you can rep particular members.

Unfortunatly there's not a way of seeing, for regular members. past the last few reps you've recieved.

Zeromus
07-07-2008, 05:35 AM
...was just about to start a thread on this.

My say is that you get rid of - rep. Yes constructive criticism can be helpful, BUT how many times is it used for that? I have rarely given - rep myself because constructive criticism aside, i see it to be quite detrimental. if there's a few (or more) spelling errors i generally give them +rep then purposefully mispell something as a sort of joke.

If it is a good post then you've earned a compliment and I generally sign it with a "-me" (o.O)

Soo rambling aside, Perhaps GetDare needs neutral rep (5 neutral = 1 - rep?) unless 2-3 +rep are accumulated within the time it takes for those to add up.

give_me_dares
07-07-2008, 09:08 AM
i think the rep points should stay, but ive haven't been talking to people much when i agree to be there master so just decide to give me negative points. there is also a time when i say i'm not spamming in a thread and people still give me negative reps for this even when i give a reason why im posting.

jjjj
07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
i think the rep points should stay but if you minus rep someone or plus rep someone a mod should check the post and decide whether it should count or not and if its just because they are angry at the person and it is a useless arguement -rep then the person who just -repped because they did not get their way that should get a -rep

tell me what you think.

also tell me if its too confusing.

Davros
07-07-2008, 09:44 AM
i think the rep points should stay but if you minus rep someone or plus rep someone a mod should check the post and decide whether it should count or not and if its just because they are angry at the person and it is a useless arguement -rep then the person who just -repped because they did not get their way that should get a -rep

tell me what you think.

It's a good idea, and the mods do check if suspicion arises that someone may be abusing the rep system. However, I think it'd be unfair for the mods to decide what rep points "go through" and which are "void".

I'm unsure about the "getting rid of just the neg rep" idea. In some ways, I think it'd work, but in some ways, I don't think it would. If a member constantly spams and clogs up the forum, yes you can report them, but neg rep is also good. Neg rep is also good for constructive critism, although this is sometimes abused.

Another idea would to make the neg rep comments so that the rep "giver" has their username tagged on. But this would fail because little fights would start.

Ultimately, I think it should stay as it is because it's fine. As one example; Wedgie doesn't/didn't have the best reputation in the world (sorry to single you out, Wedgie, but you're a great example) but he still managed to become an elite member. Doesn't that just prove that reputation isn't everything?

God, I'm rambling.

After having gone through a reputation crisis, myself, all I have to say is; don't get obsessed with the rep system. Don't like it? Ignore it.

Zeromus
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
It's a good idea, and the mods do check if suspicion arises that someone may be abusing the rep system. However, I think it'd be unfair for the mods to decide what rep points "go through" and which are "void".

I'm unsure about the "getting rid of just the neg rep" idea. In some ways, I think it'd work, but in some ways, I don't think it would. If a member constantly spams and clogs up the forum, yes you can report them, but neg rep is also good. Neg rep is also good for constructive critism, although this is sometimes abused.

Another idea would to make the neg rep comments so that the rep "giver" has their username tagged on. But this would fail because little fights would start.

Ultimately, I think it should stay as it is because it's fine. As one example; Wedgie doesn't/didn't have the best reputation in the world (sorry to single you out, Wedgie, but you're a great example) but he still managed to become an elite member. Doesn't that just prove that reputation isn't everything?

God, I'm rambling.

After having gone through a reputation crisis, myself, all I have to say is; don't get obsessed with the rep system. Don't like it? Ignore it.

exactly.

couldnt help but notice an irony if somebody got +/- repped in this thread o.O

Trystaan
07-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Is it just me or are the main protesters against rep those with negative or little rep.

Zeromus
07-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Is it just me or are the main protesters against rep those with negative or little rep.

by my book, anyway, its just you. however a semi-valid point. so potentially, that is true.

Davros
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Exactly. And the more they drivel on about it, the more annoying it gets. Instead of moaning and possibly earning more -rep, they could be making great contributions to the site.

Trystaan
07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Exactly. And the more they drivel on about it, the more annoying it gets. Instead of moaning and possibly earning more -rep, they could be making great contributions to the site.

QFT

That is so very true.

AverageDaniel
07-07-2008, 10:45 AM
I was going to say the same thing, Trystan. And most of the people who don't care about rep have little gold bars next to their names.

If you don't want your rep, I'll take it.

Zeromus
07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
If you don't want your rep, I'll take it.

lol im quite sure give me dares doesnt want his rep. (sorry to single you out, but then again.....)

vivala_dare
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
i see that a lot agree and a lot disagree so now im glad i made this thread.

i just fort of an idea why not have stars on each thread so you put 5 stars for awersome 1 star for poor. then your reping the thread and not the person. i think this would be good what do u think?

ramsies11
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM

God, I'm rambling.

darn u!i was going to use wedgie as an example!:p(sorry wedge)
but anyway the rep thing is just fine the way it is 'cause if we didnt have it getdare just wouldnt be getdare

ramsies11
07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
i see that a lot agree and a lot disagree so now im glad i made this thread.

i just fort of an idea why not have stars on each thread so you put 5 stars for awersome 1 star for poor. then your reping the thread and not the person. i think this would be good what do u think?

are u against the rep thing or somthing??:confused:

SubMissChievous
07-07-2008, 12:07 PM

tell me what you think.

Yeah I understand what you mean & it's not a bad idea in itself. But the thing is that mods can't modify rep points. We can only edit the comments if there's a reason to do so like use of insults & such. But every time something is reported to us we do have a look at it to make sure there's no abuse of - rep.

I also agree with Davros that it would not be really fair for us to decide what is a valid rep & what isn't... I know I would not enjoy such a responsibility both because after all we're members just like everybody else & also it would represent a lot of work to look at every single rep aside from having to check posts, reported stuff, etc.

Yes, of course, it's part true but actually some of the more "rep-obsessed" users don't necessarily have red rep. Some have actually a nice amount of points but for some reason will go nuts over one negative comment they'll get for ex.

I still wonder whether GD should go in the same direction as KT as far as rep is concerned... But even more I think users should take this for what it is: An extra bonus feature on the site. Nothing more than that. I mean, it's not the main reason why we log in here, isn't it? :)

Sum
07-07-2008, 12:31 PM

you already can. If you click rate thread you can do this. It needs two people to vote on a thread before the stars show up to stop users creating a thread and giving it a 5 star rating themself to make themselves look great.

Trystaan
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry but what is the Kink Talk system

Sum
07-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Sorry but what is the Kink Talk system

basically it's the same as it is here, but with negitive rep disabled.

Trystaan
07-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh ok Thanks. I don't think that would be a good idea because the negative rep gives the option to criticise people and for it to mean something. Those who have many negative's are spamming the site so must therefore be punished in a way that I don't think is severe enough. When people get to a certain point I think probabtion shuld be put in order. Of course this should only be done when a kindly mod goes through the rep to check that none of it was stupid and not deserved.

SubMissChievous
07-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Oh ok Thanks. I don't think that would be a good idea because the negative rep gives the option to criticise people and for it to mean something. Those who have many negative's are spamming the site so must therefore be punished in a way that I don't think is severe enough. When people get to a certain point I think probabtion shuld be put in order. Of course this should only be done when a kindly mod goes through the rep to check that none of it was stupid and not deserved.

I agree with you Trystan that negative repshould be given as some sort of constructive criticism but I can tell you that very few use it with that in mind. When I have to look into other users rep I see plenty of comments such as "you suck!" or negative rep is given for stupid reasons as even avatars & sigs. I even got some stuff like "ZZzzzzzZZZzzz" as comments for - rep given to me. I can see a lot of users only use it as a way to get back at users they don't like without really even trying to explain what they don't like. Not everybody does that, of course, but yet very few - rep comments are hardly constructive.

And when members are blatantly abusing the rules I don't think a few red dots will stop them (remember slave456?) It's not punishing them at all & on the contrary it seems to only eitherinfuriate them or even encourage them to do even worse (one user even admitted to me via PM that he wanted more red rep & that was the reason why he was posting shit) We already have rules & staff to enforce them so when posters are really violating the rules other users should use the report button before using the rep one imo :)

Hampers
07-07-2008, 05:17 PM
The other problem Ihave with mods checking rep is that I really can't be bothered. If you weigh up how much rep is sent every day against how much we already do, it equals not much fun.

Also, may I point out the irony: That post I made in the Trashcan? To show the sort of posts that negative rep? I got -repped for it. :(

Overall, I don't think there is an effective system for controlling rep, without placing a person in charge (in which case their judgements become highly subjective and will have people screaming 'UNFAIR' on every second ruling) or disabling the rep system altogether (which defies the purpose of trying to control it).

So, I think we all need to be more appropriate with our use of rep.

But will it happen?

Ha.

Trystaan
07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Surely semi mods could be employed to do that job though Hamps?

Davros
07-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Surely semi mods could be employed to do that job though Hamps?

They could, possibly, but how do you pick them? And it still isn't fair that certain people should choose whether rep is valid or void. It'd cause more rows and arguements.

I say it's fine as it is :)

ramsies11
07-08-2008, 03:08 PM
i agree
*post is too goddammed short*

Manbearpig
07-09-2008, 12:10 PM
people should also remember that once you give someone bad rep, you normally cant give that same person any rep for a while. so, really, its hard for a person to attack a person so many times because of rep.

i do like the rep person because (sometimes) you can see what you are doing wrong. or maybe if you had a post that got a lot of bad rep, after a while, you might be able to realize what you did wrong. it allows for learning. sometimes its used bad, and i will be the first to admit, that i have given bad rep for pretty stupid reasons (especially after it first came out). however, now i try to use it in a way for constructive critism (keyword, i try). so when u get someone giving you rep saying, "you are stupid," remember that could be someone who really isn't use to the system or just a plain idiot. plus this system is way better than dare points or whatever they were called

vivala_dare
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
im so glad i made this thread

rep should go then there would be no problems. If you like some one then tell them if u dont and have a problem settle it on msn or summmat not on rep pms or threads

so get rid of rep and everything will be settled

Davros
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
im so glad i made this thread

rep should go then there would be no problems. If you like some one then tell them if u dont and have a problem settle it on msn or summmat not on rep pms or threads

so get rid of rep and everything will be settled

But people will argue against that. People like rep. It's meant to be fun. If it's taken away, it defeats tackling the problem. Removing rep is like running away from something. This has been discussed loads over the past year or so. It's fine.

Maybe a better option would be to have a "Disable rep" option in the control panel so you can disable your rep feature (getting and giving). But then those who like the rep can keep it? :)

Trystaan
07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I would never want to see rep go. Unless it was replaced with a more serious system. Such as more impacted effects of Negative rep.

SubMissChievous
07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Since opinions about the current rep system we have here are seemingly quite divided & it has been also discussed & criticized in the past I have decided to make a little poll here (hopefully viva won't mind :) )

The poll is just for us to get an idea of how much people like it, hate it, would like it to stay but have some changes... I basically took some of the suggestions from this thread to put in there.

Note that the results of the poll don't mean that the rep system will change. This is up to depp to decide whether there's a need to make any changes to it. But the idea behind the poll is just to get an idea on getDare citizens' feelings towards the rep system :)

Davros
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I voted for:

Would be nice to have a "disable rep" option
and
I like it as it is!

because I like it how it is and I think the people who dislike it should be allowed to disable it (giving and getting for complete fairness) instead of putting the people who like it out.

oreo_is_back
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Don't.Get.Me.Started.On.Rep. Lawl. But I think it's ok. Don't think it should be gone alltogether. =]
Maybe have different colours other then green though. =D Like....Ehm.... Pink? Well, for girls.
Or like... I don't know. Have a range of multicolour? So a person could,for example, pick Light colours for good [ baby pink, baby blue, yellow etc] and darker colours for bad? [ Red (yes), black, dark blue etc]

vivala_dare
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
good idea for the poll chloe

get rid of rep get rid of rep get rid of rep

Davros
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
good idea for the poll chloe

get rid of rep get rid of rep get rid of rep

You're a tad biased aren't you :p

Think about those who like it as it is. Don't you think an option to disable rep would be better?

oreo_is_back
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
You're a tad biased aren't you :p

Think about those who like it as it is. Don't you think an option to disable rep would be better?

YES! Public disable!

DareByrd
07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Maybe a system where you can disable rep., but people could still send constructive critisism and it not effect the person...still there is the problem of people repeatedly simply bashing others through this system with no CONSTRUCTIVE critisism what-so-ever.

vivala_dare
07-10-2008, 12:39 PM
lisen up i just got minus rep saying the title on my new story sounds familer!

how can you give bad rep for that.

AND I DONT STEAL STORIES I WRITE THEM ALL MY SELF SO DONT REP ME. I WRITE THEM FROM THE HART.

vivala_dare
07-10-2008, 12:44 PM
there should be a disable rep option or you can only give good rep. thats all i have to say

yet again sorry for the out burst i just get annoyed

Davros
07-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I like it as it is! - 38.46%
I would prefer the KT system (neg. rep. disabled) - 38.46%

Would be nice to have a "disable rep" option - 23.08%

I hate it!!! Get rid of it!! - 15.38%
I don't care! - 15.38%

There should be a "rep mod" - 7.69%

Is there a closing time on the poll (just wondering)? The top two choices at the moment appear to be disable negative rep and like it how it is. Quite mixed reactions :)

SubMissChievous
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Is there a closing time on the poll (just wondering)?

No I haven't set any time limit on it :)

Trystaan
07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Just thinking. I really like the idea of the 'Rep Mod' perhaps when you recieved negative rep you could report it so that the mod wouldn't have to wade through the amount of deserved negative rep. And yes it was me who voted for it.

Davros
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Just thinking. I really like the idea of the 'Rep Mod' perhaps when you recieved negative rep you could report it so that the mod wouldn't have to wade through the amount of deserved negative rep. And yes it was me who voted for it.

Thing is, nobody likes negative rep. Whether it's a silly comment or whether it contains constructive comments, nobody likes it, so everyone would start to report their negative rep just to make sure.

Also, even if people volunteered, it'd be boring and it'd take away the fun from getDare.

SubMissChievous
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM

We already do that actually. True there is no "report button" but still when users PM us to report abusive comments or even when users have "rep rants" we tend to check into it (at least I know I do!) But yet at this time we can only edit comments not higher or lower the amount of points one user has except for depp (and I think chain can too). I know of a couple of situations where the rep was "reversed" as it was really blatant that those were attacks on other users.

I think if one member feels a received negative rep is really abusive (for ex. a comment such as "You suck, bitch!") then a simple PM to us will allow us to a) know who it comes from b) bring attention to it in the mods' section c) possibly send an infraction to a user who is truly abusing the system & use it to personally attack others.

Trystaan
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
No one likes it yes but If it wasn't there GetDare would be pure havoc. It is the unoffcial way to probation.

Davros
07-10-2008, 01:34 PM
One member chose;

I hate it!!! Get rid of it!!
I would prefer the KT system (neg. rep. disabled)
I like it as it is!

How can you choose all three o_O

SubMissChievous
07-10-2008, 01:38 PM
One member chose;

I hate it!!! Get rid of it!!
I would prefer the KT system (neg. rep. disabled)
I like it as it is!

How can you choose all three o_O

By clicking on all 3, NS!! :p

Hahaha!! This poll is really fun to follow! :D

Davros
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
By clicking on all 3, NS!! :p

Hahaha!! This poll is really fun to follow! :D

Duhhh ;)

Well as long as this doesn't become the 23456298th poll to be edited by the mods for a laugh... :p

algernon
07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the rep system anonymous? I think that's dumb because it allows for people to give negative rep just because they didn't agree with someone's comment, not because it was actually a poor comment. It also allows for more 'rep attacks' I think that all rep comments should be public to everyone, and you should have to type in a good reason for your rep comment. If you don't have a good reason, a rep mod could overturn what you said. This would also get rid of the 'i'll give you a + rep if you give me one' thing.

If you have a legitimate compliment or criticism of another user, you shouldn't be afraid to say it in public.

You could also have a system where, for example, you couldn't rep someone who had reped you in the past 24 hours or something. This might help prevent retaliation.

But I'm new, so maybe I don't understand the system as well...

SubMissChievous
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
You could also have a system where, for example, you couldn't rep someone who had reped you in the past 24 hours or something. This might help prevent retaliation.

There is already a limited amount of rep that one user can spread per day. And rep points must be spread within a certain amount of different users before you can give some to another user.

Davros
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the rep system anonymous? I think that's dumb because it allows for people to give negative rep just because they didn't agree with someone's comment, not because it was actually a poor comment. It also allows for more 'rep attacks'

The whole point is that it's anonymous. You can leave your username, or you don't have to. And if neg rep is given for stupid reasons, the recipient can easily report it to the mods.

Plus, including names would probably create more rep attacks.

algernon
07-11-2008, 12:12 PM
What constitutes a 'stupid reason'?

Davros
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM

Well anything that's un-related to the post.

"haha im givin u neg rep coz i can"
"u r a loser"
"shut up plz"

...comments to that effect.

SubMissChievous
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Basically, the site's rules applies for rep comments just as it does for posts & PMs particularly rule #2:

Be respectful to other users. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sum
07-11-2008, 04:46 PM
at least this system is better than dare points. They made me leave the site for about a year!

Davros
07-12-2008, 05:54 AM
at least this system is better than dare points. They made me leave the site for about a year!

Whenever "dare points" are mentioned, lots of people cringe. Care to explain what they are, or should I just leave them alone? :p

Zeromus
07-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Whenever "dare points" are mentioned, lots of people cringe. Care to explain what they are, or should I just leave them alone? :p

i do wonder also, though i would have thought that you, of all people would know, because to my better knowledge you've been here a while.

Davros
07-12-2008, 07:07 AM
i do wonder also, though i would have thought that you, of all people would know, because to my better knowledge you've been here a while.

I have been here a while (with various accounts), but I never experienced dare points. It's great though because just two words can make older members (and mods) cringe :p:p

Zeromus
07-12-2008, 07:14 AM
we have found depp's weakness.