PDA

View Full Version : Why so many technical people interested?

random123ny
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
OK, here's a question for you... I haven't scoured the posts to see whether this has come up before, but it seems unlikely, so here goes...

Why are there so many technical people interested in the slave/master dynamic (and don't tell me it's about channel architectures!)?

I casually observe that many of the people here are self-identified as computer scientists, technical support, IT, programmers, and so on. Granted, those populations are a large percentage of the Web population (as opposed to, say, the number of Amish farmers online today...). Still, we (and I do include myself) seem fascinated by the control issues involved in these types of dynamics.

So, what's your story? Why are you into this? What got you initiated? How has it been for you?

MstDynamic
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
My story is this.... Since teens, and before internet, yes i'm that old lol

The whole Domination/submission has been a jorney of discovery, always held a fascination with it. The work 'Spank' even excited me from a teen. As a teen with 'different' thoughts, god i thought i was weird, tottally! Until one day reading a story of a person getting dominated, did I actually begin to understand my life passion. The thoughts that ran through my head scared me lol. Things I did scared me too lol,

As to why techinal people seem more intrested, as you said,

'Granted, those populations are a large percentage of the Web population'

But only proberly though Web searching into why they feel the way they do, domination, submission, Dares, Daring etc etc, becoming tech in this day and age.

banneduser
06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I am, perhaps, a techie, mainly website coding but i too am drawn to slave/master, or more specifically slave/mistress stuff. I guess the reason so many of us end up here is because, as you said, we spend so much time on computers its only natural to find out more about ourselves using a computer. Also being technical means we can cover out misadventures up easier :P Different browser profiles, hidden files, folders (even hiding files inside ordinary pictures if i had to :P) It does make it easier when you know how to hide!

Also i guess most of the non-techies get their kicks from mags, but i can gladly say ive never owned, nor wanted to own a lads (or "skags") mag.

And perhaps our desier to be a techie (thats my word for technical type people) is perhaps a desire to have control over something, in this case a computer system/website/program and then the other part of our personality is a need to be controlled as we are used to strict rules when it comes to computer programming, files, networks etc....

Meh!

dared to perfection
06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
I am not what you'd call a techie, sure i know a fair amount about software, but that's what real techie's will call a noob, and no i have not studied anything about computers. Although i am going to at college.
But here's what i wanted to say until i waffled i am also into the slave domination scene despite my lack of 'techie-ness'

I am only saying this so that as people respond to this we can see how many would consider themselves techie's and how many would not.

banneduser
06-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Tis true, there are probably more non-techies than techies here but then again thats probably due to the fact that there are more non-techies than techies anyhoo!

SubMissChievous
06-25-2008, 05:05 PM
I am as untech as it’s possible to be lol I have never really noticed if there was a larger amount of people involved in D/s that are more technical or from any other line of work or activity. I have been communicating online with many people involved in the lifestyle this past year & all seem to be from different line of work. Yes some techies, some are artists, others do office work as some others are “blue collars”. Myself I have an artistic college formation & work with public (which is hell for an misanthropist like me, ugh!) I have noticed though that many of my contacts seem to be loners or have a somewhat limited social life by choice. Which can explain why they spend a lot of time online I guess.

I’ve always needed organization & a great dose of control in my life that didn’t need to necessarily come from work or school. And this goes way back to when I was a kid. My parents were quite lax & laid-back, there wasn’t any real structure or rules & me & my brothers pretty much ran the asylum so I dunno… perhaps my need to submit & be controlled comes from my childhood (?)

I’ve had random experiences in RL a few years ago but those were mere kinky experimentations & the partners I was involved with were not either ready or interested to take it as “deeper” as me & I got a bit bored with it then as for me a strictly sexual form of D/s is not satisfying & don’t bring much in the long run. So I stepped back from this for a couple of years until last year when I was browsing & trying to find forums where I could possibly discuss with other people & stumbled on getDare among other (but so much less interesting) sites. Until then I had no idea at all that some people were doing this online! I immediately got very curious about the idea as I saw there an interesting possibility for me since anything RL at the moment is pretty much not an option. I’ve discussed with people involved in this type of relationship, experimented with a coupe of people & found my Master online 6 months ago.

So there… that’s my story, why I’m in it & how it has been :)

slave.2008
06-25-2008, 10:30 PM
The M/s relationship does seem to have a tendancy toward people with higher IQ's. (although some posts make me rethink that :P)

NakedEParty
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
How would the average person discover a site like this if he wasn't surfing the net all day every day :)