PDA

View Full Version : The Point Of All This!

Smile Guy
02-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I know that there have been conversations about this before but I really believe that we need a really good points system implemented. I'm aware of the whole reputation system but it has never truly worked and I personally don't think it is public enough. If we could integrate a system where every member (best not if we include guests) can give points to every other member. For example, Smile Guy things dabear gave some really positive, and thought-provoking feedback to his new idea so he clicked on Give Points and had a choice of giving dabear 1 point, 3 points or 5 points. The amount of points a person had would show up right next to their name and people would hopefully surmount to this postive sort of thing. So, advantages:

1) Rewards good behaviour. I've always seen this as a better way than punishing bad behaviour. We are much more likely to get skilful posts if there is a rewarding prospect.

2) Inspires people to post good quality stuff. This would mean more stories in the story section, more dare suggestions and more feedback of how the dares went.

3) Gives power to the people. Sure we have a reputation system but it is not a very clear system and is a little unpublic. Mods can easily add infractions and what not and give people a little publicity. If every member can have the option to help each other out then it would create a fantastic community.

4) The quality to quantity ratio. People would clearly be able to see how good people are (to an extent) and understand that these people are not just spamming.

So, what do you people think? A good or a bad idea. There obviously would be some things that would need to be avoided, but if implemented well it could work brilliantly and increase the quality of Getdare in general!

Glutgod
03-03-2007, 08:50 PM
It might be good if we could get past the whole I could give some body as many points as I want, but if we get past that and some other things it would be a good idea, I love the avatar!

Manbearpig
03-03-2007, 09:54 PM
None of the point systems in the past have worked. Depp points or dare points or wutever u called them didnt work, and these rep points havent worked either. We have to find a system (if possible) that works....

depp
03-04-2007, 04:40 AM
The problem with the old points system is it encouraged people to post... anything. getDare was being spammed with useless posts by our own memebers in an attempt to gain points.

I will look into some sort of rewards/awards system for the site. There is a gap that currently exists. I just don't know the perfect fit yet.

cheesy dude
03-09-2007, 10:04 AM
i use the reputation system whenever i see good dare ideas or a good story.

dunno if it works but i get a plesant little popup that says hope your lucky enough to recive some back :)

so any one out there if you see a post you like dont just reply with...'hey well put [name]' or 'thats one good story [name]'

click the little scales button and add some positive feed back... and you too can get a little popup saying you hope to get some back :)

good luck

*if you liked this post you know what to do ;|

Rob
03-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Look, there is only one sure fire way NOT to become a moderator. And that is to Ask to be one. If depp thinks you are qualified enough for the job, he will give it to you. Otherwise, be satisfied with what you have. Trust me. I have many times asked to be a mod on other sites and been turned down for just that reason. So, Keep your mouth shut and be a good member and you might moderate.

Soraslight
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Keeping quiet about wanting things like mod or admin privaleges is usually the good thing to do. But if you pay attention to people like tessdog you wouldn't have thought he wanted to be a mod. But he does, and no one would've known he wanted to therefore he wouldn't have got it anyway. My phrase is, "Don't sit in the shadows, DO SOMETHING"

Manbearpig
03-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I am telling you..... I have a great system in mind. Possibly which could fix this problem once and for all. I also could pimp out the site in other areas. Just Make me Moderator!

If you want to become a mod, just wait. Your time could come. It's not you Tessdog who makes decisions. It's Depp and he runs things in my opinion, pretty well around here. And as ur post said before it got deleted, yes it isn't a democracy. Depp runs things. And he is doing a great job.

chain
03-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Moderators are chosen based on merit. One person I thought would make a great mod was bkwm37. She always tried to help people with the site......Doing things to make the site better will be a big factor in you favor.....I think.

Kingkong
03-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I got a good idea for a point system. Have a Karma and Smite thing. They are on the Proboards sites. I have made a couple myself. It's very simple.

chain
03-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Please elaborate.....

Kingkong
03-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Well after each post if the person thought what they wrote was the follow then they would give them Karma

You Get Exulated if the Post is

Semi-Long

Detailed

Little Spelling Errors or None

Did not "break" the rules

But you get Smited when your post is

Short Pointless

Not Detailed

A LOT OF SPELLING ERRORS

May have broken small rule

Mean, talking trash about other members

So thats Kingkongs plan!

Musty 21
03-10-2007, 09:48 PM
for the point thing, how about only mods can give points?

Kingkong
03-10-2007, 10:17 PM
That would work but not enough mods. To read EVERY post and do EVERYTHING needed. I also think all members should have a vote in it too...

Smile Guy
03-11-2007, 05:46 AM
In regards to Kingkong's idea, I'm a little bit against the whole smite thing. I'm much more for, a reward system in place.

And as for only mods able to give points, again, I'm a little unsure. It's nice to give a little bit of power to the people!

Musty 21
03-11-2007, 09:33 AM
how about to get a point, two people need to say it was good

(guest shouldn't have this ablility)

OnMyKnees
03-14-2007, 02:44 AM
I think that this site is great and all, and I love the concept, but everything gets so repetitive. People post dares that have been posted a billion times before. I've been through the forums, and everything simply repeats. I am not criticizing the moderators of the site, but I think people should be more consious of what they are posting. Possibly further categories breaking dares down into subcategories (ie: public nudity dares, anal dares, all male group dares, all female group dares, etc,)
Thanks.