PDA

View Full Version : I think we should have a completed stories Archive

Tony12
05-24-2008, 10:41 AM
It would be nice for them to be kept rather than leave them to dissappear. Aswell as that i want to read some stories which have been finished :)

ShinyDemon
05-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Excellent idea, where authors could repost their entire stories. It would also help if they were properly formatted and spell checked.
It would also help with ease of reading as there would not be loads of (some very welcome) comments. I sometimes find when reading, I have to go through a couple of pages of posts by members which, although motivate the author, can prove distracting.

jjjj
05-28-2008, 06:23 PM
yeah that will be pretty good i would like that alot great idea!

Collared_Slave
05-28-2008, 06:25 PM
i suppose as i was in charge of archives - this would be my job then

ShinyDemon
05-30-2008, 01:35 PM
You know it makes sense ;o)

Plus, just think how gratefull all the members and readers would be...

Artimis
05-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I have to agree. Its hard to find finished stories.

the_boy
06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
yes a completed stories archive would be very nice. I am new and would like to read some of the old stories, but I have to wade thew all of the other stuff to get to them

ShinyDemon
09-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Did anything ever come of this idea ?

Bandit|Queen
09-27-2008, 10:44 AM
As this was posted in May, no. I sure as hell am not gana be the mod who sorts through all the stories and moves em!

This is kinda considered bumping the thread. Nothing has been said for ages so it clearly wasn't considered viable so the idea clearly died a death. Only post on old threads if it is a really valuable comment. You could tell nothing has happened by the way there isn't a section and there isn't a post on the thread in a while.

ShinyDemon
09-27-2008, 11:07 AM
As this was posted in May, no. I sure as hell am not gana be the mod who sorts through all the stories and moves em!

This is kinda considered bumping the thread. Nothing has been said for ages so it clearly wasn't considered viable so the idea clearly died a death. Only post on old threads if it is a really valuable comment. You could tell nothing has happened by the way there isn't a section and there isn't a post on the thread in a while.

Sorry - the reason I posted this was legitimate, as I have just completed my story "Sisters Sleepover T or D".
If something had been done, and perhaps there was a new section where completed stories could be placed, I would have liked to have had mine considered for inclusion.

Sum
09-27-2008, 11:59 AM
i personally actually quite like this idea, but have never posted on it before as i missed it as it was in the wrong area. The section the way i see it could be somewhere between the best of getdare section and the main story section.

I think it would have to work off users reporting their work finished. That mods don't have to spend hours going through individual stories and would just have to move the ones reported as finished. It also couldn't work retrospectively as that would also take up far more time

oh yeah thread moved to suggestion zone

erick92
09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
This is a very good suggestion. This way if you want to read a story you can actually read it without the long cliff hangers. And like others have said the mass of comments in between the posts can make it really hard to read the story after a long break from reading it.

depp
09-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I really like this idea!

An entirely new version of getDare is in the works. While it is too late to incorporate this when it first launches I will add this as a feature in the archives after I do my updates. I don't have an ETA however as my schedule for the foreseeable future is busy.

kirrik
09-28-2008, 10:08 PM
I concur, but no one should have organize all the stories, the authors should submit them as completed

Tony12
09-29-2008, 06:44 AM
God, i didn't know this thread was still going :)

All credit to me (Kidding on)

waffle_amazing
11-09-2008, 01:02 AM
I think it would help the story section a lot if there was a sub-section for completed stories. Many times I have been looking for a good story befor bed, only to find out that the author had givin up on it months before. Most people here should know what I am talking about, it is really hard to find a good, finished story.
Thanks for listening!

EDIT: sorry, I just noticed the suggestions category.

SubMissChievous
11-09-2008, 08:00 AM
EDIT: sorry, I just noticed the suggestions category.

No problem, I moved it there :)

Yes, I like this idea too :) I think it would be a nice way to reward those who have a completed story and give them more visibility as otherwise those stories end up sooner or later down the pages of the stories section.

Or if there's not a completed stories section perhaps the staff could edit the titles and add something like *COMPLETED* at the end :)

interesting
11-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Both sound like a great idea to me.

I'd prefer a separate section, though - might help avoid some confusion. The stories would be moved there by moderators only once the story is over; it would not be open to creating new threads, just having those completed stories moved there.

Officelover
11-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree. Sometimes stories just get left someplace after their done. It'd be nice to have some sort of archive.:)

LilAngel
11-09-2008, 01:29 PM

I'd prefer a separate section, though - might help avoid some confusion. The stories would be moved there by moderators only once the story is over; it would not be open to creating new threads, just having those completed stories moved there.

Just like the trashcan. :p

I think it is a good idea, but there's the same problem with the dying away. Most likely the stories on Page 2 won't be read by new comers.

I think there should be an archive, just like the TorD one. :D

Sum
11-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Thread merged into the already existing suggestion that was already at the top of the page in the suggestions zone.

SubMissChievous
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM

I'd prefer a separate section, though - might help avoid some confusion. The stories would be moved there by moderators only once the story is over; it would not be open to creating new threads, just having those completed stories moved there.Yes, the seperate section seems ideal to me too. The *COMPLETED* idea I got was more as a next best thing sort of idea in case there could not be such a section OR until there would be one. It would also be helpful for us if such a section was to be made to have an idea which stories to move there. But anyways, as for now, I would have no objection if someone has a completed story and they ask to have the title edited so other users know it's completed :)

I think it is a good idea, but there's the same problem with the dying away.Yes, I see your point here. But I think it would take a bit of time before the section would have a lot of threads as, unfortunately, the big majority of stories in the current stories section aren't completed. So a completed section would still allow a bit more visibility to those threads.

x.Emma.x
11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Great Idea. Just a new Category that completed stories get moved into would do fine! Hope this happens! And a separate section for Fiction and Non Fiction would be good also!

halomaster117
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
love the idea! I think that it should not be moved there though, I think the owner of the story gets to post it again in there, and the original topic would just be deleated.

SubMissChievous
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
love the idea! I think that it should not be moved there though, I think the owner of the story gets to post it again in there, and the original topic would just be deleated.The thing is that we don't delete threads unless there's a really good reason for it. But I don't see what difference it would make to move a thread there instead of having the OP copying it back there and having to delete the old one... Plus the replies from other users would get lost that way too.

interesting
11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I tend to agree with moving the threads (since it was my opinion in the first place); there's no need to keep the posts in two separate sections, once the story is over, and there's a very clear way to know, called 'THE END'. :)

I think most everyone agrees that a stories archive is a good idea. The question is just on how to set it up.

My recommendation : a thread where completed stories can be transferred but where no one can create new threads (although they might be able to post comments on existing threads). We can set it up as part of the ToD stories section.

That is all.

halomaster117
11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
The thing is that we don't delete threads unless there's a really good reason for it. But I don't see what difference it would make to move a thread there instead of having the OP copying it back there and having to delete the old one... Plus the replies from other users would get lost that way too.
that's the point. it would all be together. Make it so you cannot reply, but you can post new threads

depp
11-12-2008, 07:05 PM
All good suggestions. A story section based on these ideas is going to be merged into the upcoming big update.