PDA

View Full Version : Webcam tips

wudup
08-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi, as a Dom i often require visuals as in webcam chat and most of the subs i work with have a problem to do it right. So here's few thoughts to make it easier for everyone:
Cameras love light, even a lame webcam can look decent if you have a good setup so you need to work on that:

Don't point your cam against the light source (if you only have one), that only makes the cam look "darker" - here's where most people fail and it's realy easy to "fix" that
best setup would include having 3 light sources in different points which can be a bit hard to do but what you can and should do is to set the light behind the cam or on the side
if you can't provide a good light in your bedroom the best place that should have decent lighting is the bathroom. Over there usually you'll find a top light + some directional lights as well so you can work on a decent setup
visit the link for some great semi-pro tips http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-improve-your-cheapo-webcams.html

Privacy, It's good that most of the subs care about this issue. But often they simply hestitate to go on cam just because they don't want to show their faces for obvious reasons. If they eventually will go on cam often the subs are concerned that durring a webcam chat they will accidentally show their face and this brings a lot of tension into the game. Usually they set the cam so that it doesnt show the face and when they need to change the position they turn the cam off ... and sometimes they forget. The easy solution to avoid this is to simply have a mask, any mask will do really. Doesnt matter if it's one that covers your whole face or just the eyes, so if you have a power rangers mask it's cool but if you only have a simple eyes-only mardi grass type of mask it's also great. It realy does make a difference if you can or can't see the eyes. Remember Zorro ? All it took to give him anonimity was a simple piece of material with eye holes. If you dont have a mask at all - make one. To make a simple mask you can:

do the "Zorro" take a rectangular piece of fabric and cut eye holes in it then wrap it around your head, a scarf or wide ribbon should do just fine
do the "T-shirt ninja", less comfy but kinda fun and as you can see on my avatar here it gives pretty good visual anonimity - instructions http://i.imgur.com/OTyCX.jpg
do the infamous "Paper/brown bag"

That's it for now, if you have more questions or your own tips feel free to post here.
Cheers!