PDA

View Full Version : The Fiend's Eye: Collars

Fiendish
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
In response to tempered_sugar's post in the Punishment & Discipline thread, I have started this thread.

Unlike the usual, where I say what I think in a long, drawn-out post, I'm going to leave this for people to discuss the meaning of a collar, from both sides- both Masters & slaves- to help people new to or curious about the issue have a starting point at the very least.

My view is a collar is something a slave is given as a sign of being owned, something that all slaves need to have, and fear losing. A collar doesn't always have to be physical, though it usually is. It's a sign that the Master has the slave on a leash, guiding the slave to the best way to serve.

That's my idea, anyway, and now, for open discussion...

Collared_Slave
05-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I just really like wearing mine

SubMissChievous
05-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Interestingly the subject of collars is yet another one where I seem to have some "special" views on... :)

A collar is one of those things that leaves me cold... Never had an appeal for it. I think it's mostly due to a) The fact that it has become in recent years an object of fashion statements in some non-BDSM underground communities as well as even in pop culture where we've seen pop icons such as Madonna & Britney Spears wear it either in videos or award shows. And b) I find them ugly :(

Now I much agree though on what it represents & can understand the attachment that slaves who wear it can have for their collar. The same feeling of safety and/or of being owned can also come from signs that slaves will put on parts of their bodies or symbolic jewelry or tattoos...

Personally I don't have a collar & don't feel the need for it. I do however have one special item that I feel probably just as strongly about than those who do wear collars & are proud of it. Mine is simply a bracelet made out of a piece of rope :) Even though I don't have any rules attached to it because it was given to me as a "gift" I treat it just as importantly as any rules or rituals I have & even when I don't wear it (which is rare) I always put it some place nearby when I can look at it.

So overall although I'm no big fan of collars, I can however say that I'm very much into having something tangible as a symbol of my commitment to my Master & respect what collars mean for those who wear it :)

Sum
05-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Even though I don't have any rules attached to it because it was given to me as a "gift" I treat it just as importantly as any rules or rituals I have & even when I don't wear it (which is rare) I always put it some place nearby when I can look at it.

You see I'd consider that to Be your collar. For me in bdsm a collar doesn't have to be something, which goes around the neck. I've seen pictures of very nice ankle bracelets or such things that can be considered a collar.

For me a collar doesn't have to be anything physical, it is instead a sign of the master's commitment to their sub and of the subs commitment to their master.

On the not looking nice thing i think, for lots, you're correct. It took me and my little one 3 long conversations to decide on one that we both thought looks decent (this is for her new collar)

Fiendish
05-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Interestingly the subject of collars is yet another one where I seem to have some "special" views on... :)

A collar is one of those things that leaves me cold... Never had an appeal for it. I think it's mostly due to a) The fact that it has become in recent years an object of fashion statements in some non-BDSM underground communities as well as even in pop culture where we've seen pop icons such as Madonna & Britney Spears wear it either in videos or award shows. And b) I find them ugly :(

Now I much agree though on what it represents & can understand the attachment that slaves who wear it can have for their collar. The same feeling of safety and/or of being owned can also come from signs that slaves will put on parts of their bodies or symbolic jewelry or tattoos...

Personally I don't have a collar & don't feel the need for it. I do however have one special item that I feel probably just as strongly about than those who do wear collars & are proud of it. Mine is simply a bracelet made out of a piece of rope :) Even though I don't have any rules attached to it because it was given to me as a "gift" I treat it just as importantly as any rules or rituals I have & even when I don't wear it (which is rare) I always put it some place nearby when I can look at it.

So overall although I'm no big fan of collars, I can however say that I'm very much into having something tangible as a symbol of my commitment to my Master & respect what collars mean for those who wear it :)

I should give you a cookie for this post.

Anyway, as sum1(2) said, a collar doesn't have to be an object worn around the neck, or even an object at all. Kind of like that bracelet of yours, it would be considered your collar even without real formality attached to it.

And I agree, collars have been popping up as fashion in alot of places... this is good and bad, but that's another topic altogether.

slave.2008
05-10-2008, 12:21 PM
As it has been stated, the collar is a symbol of enslavement. And it doesn't have to be an actual collar.

I do have and I enjoy wearing it, it is both a symbol of enslavement to me, and also of degradation, as it is a dog collar.