PDA

View Full Version : Beta Readers

Hampers
04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I used to write a bit of fanfiction when I was younger, and one of the things I remember that helped a lot (and that I also was quite good at) was something called Beta Reading. Basically when you've finished a draft of your story, you send it to your Beta Reader (in essence Editor) who checks it over for you before you publish it.

They check for:
-Punctuation
-Spelling and Grammar
-Plot Holes
They can also check to make sure that your characterisation stays the same throughout, and that it has an overarching sense of plot.

So I was thinking. Wouldn't it be great to have this system on Getdare?
I'm really quite busy to check any vast number of stories, but I'd be happy to have a look over one or two. Maybe other people who have the same confidence in their English skills might also like to offer to help?
The point is, if you want some help with a story, post some information about it here and I (or anyone else who [PLEASE] might also want to do this might help out.
Good things to include: Title, Subject, Vague outline of content, what you want help with.

Maybe this'll take off.
Maybe it won't.
Let's see.

Love,
Hampers

P.S. If anyone's interested, the term Beta Reader comes from the idea that the Author is the first person to read it (I.e. the Alpha Reader) and then their Editor is the second (I.e. the Beta Reader).

tissue13
04-05-2008, 08:57 PM
This is a REALLY good idea! Alot of authors on here would have had an awesome story if they had a Beta Reader! This is brilliant, however I am not an author really ( although I may become one...) so I unfortunately cant post the information above and so forth...but still, great idea!

AverageDaniel
04-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I would be interested in being a Beta Reader. Just throwing it out there.

the_boy
06-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I would be interested in being a beta reader.

Sum
06-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I strangely enjoy proof-reading. So I don't mind doing the odd bit here and there for stories.