Old 07-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Sarge90
getDare Sweetheart

Default Tell me a story...

I really can't see this taking off, but I feel it is my civic duty to at least attempt it.

I have an idea, inspired by the accent challenge, but to hear different takes on poetry. This is because of a slight lack of punctuation in a lot of poems, and it leads a certain subjective nature to them. This got me thinking, since I'm rather proud of how I recite the raven, and I've heard it spoken many times in various ways, so I figured I'd invite you all to read some of your favourite poems and see if others have a slightly different spin on it. After all, emphasis means the difference between there being nobody in the cemetery and there being no body in the cemetery.

I won't start this off myself just yet, but I will over the next few days record maud muller, Mrs judge jenkins, the raven, if and the road not taken if I can find them and remember my soundcloud password

P.S. I would also like to invite you to challenge others to do this, and that I will start by telling Dare... To get her arse in gear with a few of her favourites

Magic always comes with a price....

Last edited by Sarge90; 07-19-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Sarge90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
cloudness
getDare Sweetheart

I'm a bit confused, do we post poems? or tell stories? o.0
Old 07-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
alias
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudness View Post
Maybe we take stories and reword them into poetic verse?

All credit for my sig pic goes to BondageLisa

AMA
alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Sarge90
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudness View Post
To put it simply; whatever you're comfortable with. If you think you're a natural storyteller but you don't know your Kipling from your Keates then regale us with a tale of daring adventure, tenuous romance or thrilling horror.

Although I will clarify that I hadn't intended this to be some form of poetry at first. I made it so because poetry can be considerably shorter than stories, and very few people know a story by heart; as reservoir dogs explained you take the bones of a story, basic fundamental plotpoints, and add in your own details to make it your own... Not to mention that the three little pigs has more endings than an M Night Shamylan movie depending which version you read.

I'd also like to point out, slightly defensively, that my titles often have very little to do with the content of my posts, usually having some obscure film, TV or song reference, although if this was one I can't honestly remember.

So to conclude I'd rather people stuck to poetry, but there's nothing stopping you from reading or making up a story if you so choose.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
ForeverAlways
getDare Sweetheart

This thread is worth a bump

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

20/F/Switchy/Straightish
Likes/Dislikes/Limits
AMA
ForeverAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:46 AM   #6
StrawDog
getDare Succubus

I feel a bit of an ass pumping up something I've no intention of participating in, but this is a terrific idea.

The Road Not Taken is a personal favourite, so the thought of hearing several versions from several fine Getdarians, all imparting their unique flavour, makes me tingle all over. You may want to have a chat with Spuds, as she brought up a poetry thread a while ago, and there were some people on board with that.

Very much looking forward to hearing your take on the Raven. Good luck to all involved, and thank you in advance.

@ForeverAlways: YAAAAAAAAAAAY! Thank you!

Last edited by StrawDog; 08-04-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
StrawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
Sarge90
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlways View Post
This thread is worth a bump

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Thanks for kicking this off, that's exactly what I was hoping for, and an amazing rendition of my favourite Robert Frost poem... As promised here is my first version of the raven, I was shaking from the cold, I'm tired from work, I'm recovering from a chest infection and haven't figured out how loud I need to be, but I'll let you all be the judges and dispense with the excuses...

https://soundcloud.com/sarge90/poe

Last edited by Sarge90; 08-05-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
StrawDog
getDare Succubus

That was a lovely reading, man. Don't put yourself down so much!
StrawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
ForeverAlways
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge90 View Post
Thanks for kicking this off, that's exactly what I was hoping for, and an amazing rendition of my favourite Robert Frost poem... As promised here is my first version of the raven, I was shaking from the cold, I'm tired from work, I'm recovering from a chest infection and haven't figured out how loud I need to be, but I'll let you all be the judges and dispense with the excuses...

https://soundcloud.com/sarge90/poe
That's an amazing version of the raven, and I love your accent! You did a fantastic job. Like StrawDog said, don't put yourself down so much. If I have time later, I'll read Casey at the bat

20/F/Switchy/Straightish
Likes/Dislikes/Limits
AMA
Old 08-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
Sarge90
getDare Sweetheart

Firstly, thanks for the comments and compliments, but I will continue to put myself down and this next piece will show you why, the end I was planning to cut I feel accurately portrays the majority of my conversations offline, I forget the words I want to use and stumble through the most simple sentences.... But enough about that, here's Mrs. Judge Jenkins

P.S. The word is self indulgent.

Last edited by Sarge90; 08-11-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Remembered the word
Old 09-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #11
ForeverAlways
getDare Sweetheart

Casey at the Bat by Ernest Lawrence Thayer

20/F/Switchy/Straightish
Likes/Dislikes/Limits
AMA
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
Sarge90
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlways View Post
Casey at the Bat by Ernest Lawrence Thayer
Bravissimo... I've only heard that once before, and it didn't quite have an impact on me, but that was beautifully melancholic... And that's part of what this thread is about, poems I may never have read or heard before, so thank you

Advertisements
Kink Talk