Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Truth OR Dare > Truth

Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
citruspunch

Default Do you think this is sexist?

There's a Facebook event called "Bring your man a sandwich day." In the description it says "Sit down, have a beer, and make your woman bring you a sandwich."

Do you think this statement anti-feminist? I don't think so. It's considered sweet and endearing when a husband brings his wife a sandwich. While the possesive language might offend some people, think about it: Cosmo is full of language that refers to "our men", "your man," etc. It's just a colloquial way of speaking. I think what is most unacceptable is that this event implies that women should not conform to this role for morality's sake when many women are perfectly happy and willing to accept a submissive and even subservient role.

There are tons of standards that imply that men should cater to women, like holding the door, paying for dinner, etc. This seems like a double standard to me. No one would think twice about a event that demanded husbands or boyfriends bring their girlfriends breakfast in bed or chocolate.

Bringing a man a sandwich for a day doesn't scream sexism to me - it's just playing up gender stereotypes, and I don't see anything wrong with that as long as we see them as stereotypes. That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with conforming to a stereotype if it's personally authentic.
citruspunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
muffinfairy
getDare Devil

Depends what's in the sammich?

Masturbation 101:
[22:35:44] BettyBoop: It is really hard to get off.
[22:36:19] BettyBoop: I find that using a small piece of sellotape is the best way

http://ask.fm/muffinfairy
Snap: penis4fuffin {if you wish to snap penis or similar}
Snap: muffinfairy {add your username if spamming me}
KIK: muffinfairy {all rarely checked}

Territory Signature=Close **
muffinfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinfairy View Post
Depends what's in the sammich?
Sammich = Sandwich in man-talk.

And yes, that is totally anti-feminist... or at least, degrading to woman, not because of the fact that the statement implies women-folk to be subservient to men.... but because of the fact that the people who made this group, made this group to imply that women-folk are supposed to be subservient to men

Man, my penis is so big if I laid it out on a keyboard it'd go all the way from A to Z

Ohhhhsnap.

Hello.
444 <3 Softeyes
and we're in a relationship.
So, advances towards softeyes would very much not be appreciated.
TQTQTQ
444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
muffinfairy
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 View Post
Sammich = Sandwich in man-talk.
~Hi floor! Make me a sammich!~

Saying a word is mantalk or woman-talk is sexist

The group will have been made by some idiot off 4nahc who is trying to be cool, so why care about it?

Masturbation 101:
[22:35:44] BettyBoop: It is really hard to get off.
[22:36:19] BettyBoop: I find that using a small piece of sellotape is the best way

http://ask.fm/muffinfairy
Snap: penis4fuffin {if you wish to snap penis or similar}
Snap: muffinfairy {add your username if spamming me}
KIK: muffinfairy {all rarely checked}

Territory Signature=Close **
muffinfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
splasher

You make a good point about how no one would think twice about breakfast in bed or chocolate. If the group is made with the attitude of men are better than women, thus they should cater to our needs then its sexist. I think the thing that separates this statement with the endearing gesture of a man making food for his wife is the word 'make'. This implies that men have control over 'their women' similar to the slave/master thing people get into on this site and that women don't have a choice and must obey men.

Bottom line is people will argue semantics about whether something is sexist or not but I think you should just be nice and respectful to men and women.
splasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
loveiswaiting

I think all those "women should be in the kitchen making me sandwiches" groups/events are hilarious. Not at all sexist. Because it's all just for a laugh. Same with the whole "wow look at my turban" groups. I'm Indian. And a chick. I don't find either of these groups racist or sexist. I just chuckle at them quietly hahaha.

Alright. Now. The rest of us (except Splasher).. We gotta get back to the kitchen! Ha!

Only ask for my MSN if you're not a dick, and you're going to use it.
loveiswaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
greatsayaman
Distinguished Member

Sexism is a joke, it's simple.
I make sexist jokes all the time. I'm equalist, but it's still funny to joke about.
Women bitch about not being promoted as much as men... well your boss wants someone who's not likely to be off of work due to pregnancy, so of course he'll promote a man. That's the simple logic behind the glass ceiling. It's discrimination to an extent, but if logic is bad, then how about we make morals bad, too?

It's not sexist because yes, women are more likely to be the "submissive" in that they do the traditional "house wife" roles. They get it lucky, to be honest, if I had the chance I'd rather be at home and do the cooking and cleaning for my wife, than be out at work. So I really don't see what they were complaining about. ;D

They call me killer - Killer Wingfield. I carry a tommy gun in a violin case; a simple, honest warehouse worker by day, but by night a dynamic czar of the underworld. I wear a patch over one eye, and a false moustache, and sometimes I put on green whiskers. On... on those occasions, they call me "El Diablo!"
greatsayaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
sweetsong
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatsayaman View Post
They get it lucky, to be honest, if I had the chance I'd rather be at home and do the cooking and cleaning for my wife, than be out at work. So I really don't see what they were complaining about. ;D

It's the 21st Century. Your "future wife" most likely will have some kind of career and you're more than welcome to switch "roles" without really anyone caring.

siggy made by stellz

[03:54:06 PM] jamness: ‹@G.J.› She... kisses and stuff... shes weird.
[03:54:39 PM] G.J.: ‹@jamness› That seems like normal Sweets to me XD
sweetsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
SUBstantial

Sexist? Possibly...
Immaturely chauvinistic? Absolutely

"MAKE your woman bring you a sandwich" is where I see the problem. Ask her, tell her, etc...would be different. If Master tells me to make Him a sandwich, i would do it out of love. He's not MAKING me (forcing me) to do it, I do it because He wants it and it makes Him happy.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I think it is in the wording where the problem lies. I can't help but wonder how many men have demanded their vanilla wife to do this and received a slap in the face in return.

BTW: I'm not in the least bit a feminist. However, I firmly believe in respect that goes both ways.

Last edited by SUBstantial; 03-29-2010 at 10:05 AM.
SUBstantial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
greatsayaman
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsong View Post

It's the 21st Century. Your "future wife" most likely will have some kind of career and you're more than welcome to switch "roles" without really anyone caring.
Yeah but then the guy looks like a lazy prick. =3 'sides, I like to help people. I'm better off being a psychologist, that way I get payed for it.

And the whole "make" thing isn't really literal. You'd expend more energy forcing someone to make a sandwich than you would just making it (the whole point of which is to save you energy), so anyone taking that at face value is stupid. XD

They call me killer - Killer Wingfield. I carry a tommy gun in a violin case; a simple, honest warehouse worker by day, but by night a dynamic czar of the underworld. I wear a patch over one eye, and a false moustache, and sometimes I put on green whiskers. On... on those occasions, they call me "El Diablo!"
greatsayaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBstantial View Post
Sexist? Possibly...
Immaturely chauvinistic? Absolutely
I agree with this.
I do find some of the jokes kinda funny though.
Anyways, I should be in the kitchen. No joke, my dinner is going to burn.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk