Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #31
courtezan

Location: Slow dancing somewhere just to the left of the rest of the world.

I like this.

So I hate to take this fine thread and spoil it by picking apart the post made by another, however, whilst I love words and my language (standard UK English), grammar nazi's are a pet hate of mine.
I believe there is a huge difference between correcting a mistake to help the person who made it and correcting a mistake to make yourself feel good, and the intention behind the post is always obvious by the way the post is worded.
Very few people use the correct grammar all the time, even when it is required for your profession it is nice to slip into a more gentle way of talking and typing in your free time.
I see the logic in the grammar of your post Loke, however I do not understand what is to be gained by it. As I read it Bangin's post was legible, intelligent and made perfect sense, therefore your post served no logical purpose. It did however, make you seem pompous, not the result you were hoping for I'm sure.

Now, happily returning to the original post.
I agree with the message in the original thread for two reasons:
1. Whilst I understand the need to keep text messages short to obviate the cost, I hate text speak for anything other than text messages.
2. I believe that using spell check on a regular basis will actually improve your personal spelling ability over time.

There are many words, and they're not always long ones, that give me difficulties, so I cheat. I use Google.
I simply type the word as I spell it into Google and it very helpfully says "Did you mean *****?" and gives me the correct spelling. lol

For some reason irresistible is one word I almost always have to double check. The 'ible' ending does not seem correct, I always want to spell it 'able'.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #32
MasterPain
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to MasterPain Send a message via Yahoo to MasterPain

you know what....

fuck the anal bitches and their perfect spelling and grammer!

i type in chat, and in messages excatly how i would speak... "proper grammer" only exists in formal letters, to be quite honest.

plus although i can spell most words, and my brain can tell my fingers what to push AND even using a spell checker. a few of us still spell words wrong, and why? because we have a minor learning disability.

me, im a photonic speller, i spell the words how i figure they should sound, and even if i know the word... i still 50% of the time spell it wrong.

Quote:
"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheeachr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? And I awlyas thuohgt spleling was ipmorantt!"
PS. yes L33T speak and txt speak is wrong when you have a full keyboard to type out your message, there is a diffrence between me(mispelling words because im sounding them out) to them(being lazy)

Last edited by MasterPain; 04-21-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #33
SpiderSophie

Default Icn bin Ein Grammar Nazi. Du bist Ein Idiot.

But text speak is good. One should always abbreviate away the big words (two syllables or more), lest one be accused of Systematic Highfalutin Information Transfer.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #34
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

The way I type/write... I usually write in "Standard English", but there are times I'll use non-standard English/grammar, with words such as dunno/wanna/rly? etc. Nothing wrong with it every now and again; it doesn't hurt anyone and it's understandable.

The only thing I have issues is text speak when it's lazy. It's called text speech because it's a readily accepted way to text; it's quick, easy, it's expected in texting. Elsewhere, though, it's not.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #35
Rachie
I am the cutest butterfly ever

This just keeps going round and round in circles

The basic thing is:

TRY to use proper english when making a thread, Posting &/or in the Chat

DO NOT use text speech on getDare

We are all aware that different people have language or learning disabilities, and getDare does not Discriminate against this. But do NOT obviously abuse this by being lazy, or posting every word incorrect or action may/will be taken

If your not sure how to spell a word - why not think of an alternative.

Reasons for this
1) Earn respect from other users
2) Makes it easier for others to read
3) More likely to make friends
4) If your making a thread - you are more likly to get replies

If you are not certain about something ask

END OF SUBJECT (full stop)

CLOSED

LOVE RACHIE
X X X X

BED HABITS

LOLA.FOX WISHES SHE WAS MY FAVORITE USER <3