Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Truth OR Dare > Truth or Dare Stories

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
xdressslave

Send a message via MSN to xdressslave Send a message via Yahoo to xdressslave
Thumbs down Truth or Dare Stories Part I [NON-FICTION]

This is a story about a forum I visit regularly.

There are many "truth or dare" online websites, but to my knowledge, the most active one is called getDare. The forum community has new posts everyday, but even more than that, the new posts are actually contributing posts, not just spam and requests for pics and stuff.

In September 2006, the admin of this forum created a new board, where stories can be posted. This came from an idea by one of the forum members, Rob.

Since then, this board has supplied the community with some very good, and imaginative forums. Of course despite smileguy's story writing tips thread, a lot of the stories have spelling mistakes, use sms language, or just in general bad grammer.

But all this is fine, as long as the stories are good. Generally, there hasn't been a very bad story on the board yet. However, a different kind of plague would hit the Truth or Dare stories board.

It's not too easy to distinguish who introduced the plague, but the evidence of it is undeniable. It is rotting away at the core of the stories section, making the stories section frustrating and boring.

The plague of course, is the people making stories, then demanding that people reply to their stories with comments, before they will continue the story, or write another one.

Surely it's not that bad, but it seems as though 90% of stories posted now-a-days have the author wanting comments, before they'll write the next part. Getting feedback on a story you wrote is excellent, but when you tell people you need feedback before you'll write the next part, in my opinion, is very rude.

Some of the people that have done this include:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman58 (Revenge 69 Style, Part I)
If you would like more please post and then i will make part II, if there isn't enough posts this is how it ends
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman58 (Revenge 69 Style, Part II)
If you want me to write part 3 post ur comments here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman58 (Revenge 69 Style, Part II)
let it be know that I CAN NOT SPELL and i will not write part 3 till there are more responses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman58 (Revenge 69 Style, Part III)
Please post here and tell me if you like it. I want to make sure people like it so I don’t waste my time making more if no one is going to read it. In other words, post if you want more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girtrood (First Dare)
This dare was felt so good, i am up for any dares you may have for me to perform alone. Suggestions please.

PLEASE REPLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn (A Bet, Part I)
34 views!!! 0 Replies...

If this keeps up I'm going to take down the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrip (The Girl Next Door, Part I)
...I have focused on feelings in this one. Reply below whether I should focus on other things, ideas for this story or even a compleltly different storyline.
Some of the requests for comments are sincere, like the last quote. However, most replies usually just consist of "Story was great, keep it up". But still, authors keep making people post comments.

Even another member, pointed this out in a story, where the author demanded for comments not once, but twice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by depp=noob=lol
why is every story writer demanding replys before he/she writes another part, if you ask me it is a bit arrogance because most of the people who react dont say more then GOOD and KEEP IT UP. and they only react this way because the story writers demand that.
However, his comments were ignored by the story writer, when they made the next part, and once again demanded for replies.

Now, the truth or dare stories section is being plagued by authors writing stories in parts, and demanding comments before they write the next part. It not only frustrates the readers, it makes the authors look arrogant.

Authors, write your stories for all to enjoy, but do not force your readers to make comments on your stories. Your story will receive the comments it deserves, in due course.

I hope I don't have to write a Part II to this story
Old 03-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
depp=noob=lol
Account Banned

xdressslave, thank you for posting this!!!! i have completly the same opinion! and also thanks for al the quotes and even a quote of my post! i hope that it will change soon, but i dont trust on it....
Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Powerstrip
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Powerstrip Send a message via Yahoo to Powerstrip

I'm sorry, but I don't see the issue here. It shows the writer has support and can guage which parts are the most succesful and they can then understand why.

I wanted reader input, but got very little. Asking for feedback and simply a congratulations one line of "Great Story, Keep it up" can really be a big encouragement.

The writer is writing this of his own free will. Asking for encouragement and support is the least he can ask for in return.

I don't mean to be rude, but either put up or shut up. It's not harming you in anyway is it?

EDIT: Good Arguements keep it up :P (sorry couldn't resist)

I am looking for a mistress. Please PM me if interested
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Smile Guy
getDare Sweetheart

Out of all the story sections on forums I have been at, there has always been this exact problem. (Though can I point out, xdressslave, I've never seen it quite as well presented.)

The trouble with this problem is that there is really no right answer. You can appreciate why the author would want feedback or even encouragement so they at least know how their story is being recieved or appreciated. However, you can also appreciate the frustration felt by the reader who perhaps don't have time to answer at all.

On some forums, the problem is worse, as authors generally want full-blown reviews, whereas that is not an issue. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with something like this:

"I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback before I write the next installment so I know I'm not wasting my time."

But something like this:

"I won't post the next part until I get at least 10 replies."

Is bad.

So, I am going to impose a new rule for this section sometime in the near future. Before I have time to decide the exact details, I urge you all to be a little bit careful in your asking for feedback.

Though may I just point out that a post under a story is greatly appreciated by an author and is just simply a nice gesture.

I'll get back to you soon with some rules.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Powerstrip
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile Guy View Post
"I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback before I write the next installment so I know I'm not wasting my time."

But something like this:

"I won't post the next part until I get at least 10 replies."
No one is doing the latter, so it's not an issue. If you don't have time to answer you can answer later and even if you don't have a chance to it's not like we will not write the next part, we just may not be sure about going very much further in the story.

There is no need to complain about asking for feedback.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
xdressslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrip View Post
No one is doing the latter, so it's not an issue. If you don't have time to answer you can answer later and even if you don't have a chance to it's not like we will not write the next part, we just may not be sure about going very much further in the story.

There is no need to complain about asking for feedback.
I'm sorry, but did you read any of the quotes I used in the first post of this topic? Sure, a set number of replies has not been demanded, but one of the quotes from mustangman58 clearly shows that people are doing this exact thing!

Smile Guy, I agree with you. The purpose of my post here was to bring attention to the community of what is happening to this section, and to make sure the section doesn't steer off course, from what it was originally designed and intended to be.

I totally support comments and feedback for stories, and think every story deserves some feedback. But I don't think the authors should be requiring, or asking (or at least asking the way they are asking) for comments.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
depp=noob=lol
Account Banned

feedback is good, but i dont see the suprus value of comments like KEEP IT UP and GOOD WRITING, whithout further explanation why it is good or why they want to keep it up. The ppl who post that kind of things are just posting to make sure there will be a next part, that is a pity!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Smile Guy
getDare Sweetheart

See... this is what always happens. Two sides of the argument, both with equally fair points of view. (Though I wouldn't mind if Powerstrip actually READ what I had written... I tried to be as sitting-on-the-fence as possible*)

I'm going to lay down the law soon and it will be FINAL. Okay?

* Sitting on the fence, eh? Could be a good pain/humilation dare.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Powerstrip
Distinguished Member

I did read and it is only mustang that does it (OK I flew off the handle and exagerated a bit)

Even though he said that, I wouldn't expect him to just stop, but if he did that would be ridiculous. You might expect occasionally to get few comments, but I still think that asking for feedback is not an issue.

The bigger issue is when you don't get what you ask for. I asked for feedback and simply got the one liners of "great story" and "keep it up".

Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Musty 21
getDare Devil

Send a message via ICQ to Musty 21 Send a message via AIM to Musty 21 Send a message via MSN to Musty 21 Send a message via Yahoo to Musty 21
Default Someone is attacking me.....

I take this as an attack because if you notice.... my name is on there three times and is about to be on there four when i write the next part. I want to know if people like my stories because i don't want to waste time writing one because to me it is a pain. I love to contribute to this site and I just want to know what people think.
Sunday, Septermber 07, 2008 at 7:55p.m. Musty21 achieved 1,000 posts.

Click here to see it!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
Musty 21
getDare Devil

Send a message via ICQ to Musty 21 Send a message via AIM to Musty 21 Send a message via MSN to Musty 21 Send a message via Yahoo to Musty 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdressslave View Post
I'm sorry, but did you read any of the quotes I used in the first post of this topic? Sure, a set number of replies has not been demanded, but one of the quotes from mustangman58 clearly shows that people are doing this exact thing!

Smile Guy, I agree with you. The purpose of my post here was to bring attention to the community of what is happening to this section, and to make sure the section doesn't steer off course, from what it was originally designed and intended to be.

I totally support comments and feedback for stories, and think every story deserves some feedback. But I don't think the authors should be requiring, or asking (or at least asking the way they are asking) for comments.
o yah, btw, its a sad reliaztion. This is what the forum has come to. Story writers want to have people comment but people don't. For them to recive there comments, they need to ask for it.

Click here to see it!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
Musty 21
getDare Devil

are those the only ones? or did u pick and chose who you would put on here

Click here to see it!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #13
xdressslave

Those are the ones I could find quickly. I didn't go through every story.

But when I found a story that did demand for replies, I checked the next part of that story. That's why you've got the most quotes, because in your story series, you demand for replies so much.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:10 AM   #14
depp
SysOp

I think you make interesting points but I don't like you singling out specific users here. I'm locking this thread. The getDare staff are looking in to all the comments made here to help improve the site.

Advertisements
Kink Talk