Old 12-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #1036
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Best christmas special in a long time, actually best doctor who christmas special. A special meaning and next year looks awesome.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #1037
Star Shadows
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
Best christmas special in a long time, actually best doctor who christmas special. A special meaning and next year looks awesome.
Agreed, I did love it lots

Do not ask me for to be your slave, your mistress, or to give you truths or dares. You're wasting your time.

Informative threads:
Anonymous S/M advice service**PM ME**GET S/M ADVICE**

WORSHIPS RACHIE
Star Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #1038
Mysterious the 1st

superb, totally agree it's the best ever Christmas Special.

I am a bit jealous of young adult sardick though lol :P
Mysterious the 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #1039
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Merry Christmas!

Don't tell me anything. It is going to to air soon in the US, but want to be spoilers free. No Spoilers as the great River Song would say! I so can't wait!

My Return and Regeneration!

This has been moved to my blog.

I have been away for a while and needed a fresh start. So read my update and Hello again!

LGBT Community Thread

drvaleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #1040
Mysterious the 1st

Spoiler:
Just a thought how did young Sardick hugging old Sardick not cause a paradox?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #1041
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious the 1st View Post
Spoiler:
Just a thought how did young Sardick hugging old Sardick not cause a paradox?
All the non-fans were like "oh my gosh, wow, this is epic drama".

I was like "BLINOVICH LIMITATION EFFECT!"

Maybe we can blame the fact that Kazran's entire life was in flux.

10/10
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #1042
Drilldon
getDare Sweetheart

I wonder if the have water-birds>?

If you liked my Dare/Comment leave me a visitor message. Im aiming for 1000
Drilldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #1043
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

10/10
Yeah, but it is Science Fiction. You can pull anything out of your a$$, but the trick is making it interesting enough for people to buy it.

I'm kind of glad Moffat is pulling the gloves off of Time Travel. It will give him more room with his stories.

I have been away for a while and needed a fresh start. So read my update and Hello again!

LGBT Community Thread

Last edited by drvaleyard; 12-26-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added Something
Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #1044
Mysterious the 1st

What was the song Katherine Jenkins character sang at the end, didn't recognise it as a carol I can only remember it had a repeating line that 'silence is all around' any chance of a link to the silence will fall stuff from last series?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #1045
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvaleyard View Post
Yeah, but it is Science Fiction. You can pull anything out of your a$$, but the trick is making it interesting enough for people to buy it.

I'm kind of glad Moffat is pulling the gloves off of Time Travel. It will give him more room with his stories.
I'm starting to have issues. But that's for another time.

Quote:
What was the song Katherine Jenkins character sang at the end, didn't recognise it as a carol I can only remember it had a repeating line that 'silence is all around' any chance of a link to the silence will fall stuff from last series?
It was written specially for the Special, so it's definitely foreshadowing the Silence further. Or, should I say, 'The Silents'
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #1046
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Music Beam

Quote:
What was the song Katherine Jenkins character sang at the end, didn't recognize it as a carol I can only remember it had a repeating line that 'silence is all around' any chance of a link to the silence will fall stuff from last series?
I have to admit that I never heard of Katherine before the Christmas special. She has such an amazing voice. Too bad we all have to wait for Series Six soundtrack to come out for the song she sang. I'm huge fan of movie/TV soundtrack music. I have more music of that kind than bands. It really helps me with thinking and daydreaming. Also I use it to help me write, when I have papers to do and writing my little fiction stories.

LGBT Community Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #1047
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:

I'm starting to have issues. But that's for another time.

It was written specially for the Special, so it's definitely foreshadowing the Silence further. Or, should I say, 'The Silents'
I'm very curious what your thoughts are on it!

LGBT Community Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #1048
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:

10/10
Also if you remember you can't remember your old memories if time changes unless you've been in a perspective of which you've more than your own. Time traveling for example when the men were erased from time. Only she could remember them. Yet this guy realized he had new memories.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #1049
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
Also if you remember you can't remember your old memories if time changes unless you've been in a perspective of which you've more than your own. Time traveling for example when the men were erased from time. Only she could remember them. Yet this guy realized he had new memories.
As he's in flux, he's experiencing the "ripple effect". Instead of instant new memories, they're instead rippling down the timeline to him, hence him being aware of the changes. (For a short period, he remembers all of the possible timelines, before they ripple and merge into the final result.)

Quote:
I have to admit that I never heard of Katherine before the Christmas special. She has such an amazing voice. Too bad we all have to wait for Series Six soundtrack to come out for the song she sang. I'm huge fan of movie/TV soundtrack music. I have more music of that kind than bands. It really helps me with thinking and daydreaming. Also I use it to help me write, when I have papers to do and writing my little fiction stories.
There's a Christmas Special CD out at the end of Feb

Quote:
I'm very curious what your thoughts are on it!
The whole episode... great. Fun, wild, fantastical, fun.

I had some quibbles though.

Moffat's using time travel. Good. It's a change from before. But he's using his same old tricks. (See "Blink"). There's nothing new. Also, who is Abigail and why do we suddenly have to care about her? Another oversight by Moffat was the rest of the frozen people... not even a line from the Doctor about saving them all. Oh, and the Doctor doesn't even *try* to save Abigail from death in his 7/8 Christmas Eves with her. (Or, at the very least, there wasn't even a "I can't save her" line.)

Erm.

Overall, 10/10. But it wasn't without quibbles.

(And BLINOVICH >_<)
Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #1050
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:

As he's in flux, he's experiencing the "ripple effect". Instead of instant new memories, they're instead rippling down the timeline to him, hence him being aware of the changes. (For a short period, he remembers all of the possible timelines, before they ripple and merge into the final result.)

There's a Christmas Special CD out at the end of Feb

The whole episode... great. Fun, wild, fantastical, fun.

I had some quibbles though.

Moffat's using time travel. Good. It's a change from before. But he's using his same old tricks. (See "Blink"). There's nothing new. Also, who is Abigail and why do we suddenly have to care about her? Another oversight by Moffat was the rest of the frozen people... not even a line from the Doctor about saving them all. Oh, and the Doctor doesn't even *try* to save Abigail from death in his 7/8 Christmas Eves with her. (Or, at the very least, there wasn't even a "I can't save her" line.)

Erm.

Overall, 10/10. But it wasn't without quibbles.

(And BLINOVICH >_<)
I'm so happy they are releasing it in February! Going to so "buy" it.

I read a review on the episode and the author pointed out the same things as you.

The author said he thought maybe the Doctor selected her to teach Kazran a lesson, since the Doctor was appalled when Kazarn said Refrigerator Girl was not important. "I never met an unimportant person before." Something along those lines. So he made her important. Other than that she was really just a plot device with an amazing voice!

I thought the same thing with the frozen people too. I know at least the Ninth and Tenth Doctor might have said or done something. I guess we just have to assume that the Eleventh Doctor assumed that Karzarn was going to let the rest out in the end.

Oh man, wouldn't be a kick in the a$$, if we find out later after Refrigerator Girl dies. Kazarn than snaps back to his old self and thought well let them freeze their a$$es off!

Also I kept wondering about that too. Why did he not mention anything about not able to save her? It just seems uncharacteristic of the Doctor. Oh well, I guess she was just a plot device.

Now the Blinovich effect, did get thrown out the window. Russle T. Davis made sure the Doctor followed the Laws of Time. I kept thinking what was the point of Father's Day with Rose not allowed to touch herself (Hee...that sounded funny.) or Pompeii. Did the Doctor learn anything from The Waters of Mars? I guess Moffat sees it as a rule that impedes his writing. I just hope he does not get sloppy with his philosphy of time travle even more.

I have to admit one thing I really loved about the episode was Michael Gambon's performance. He did an amazing job. I think the evil Karzan could have rival villains like the Master. One of my favorite line in the special was "That's a sort of landing, isn't it?" referring to the ship that was crashing. That kind of made me chuckled, but it really showed how evil Karzan was. This is more evil than what the Master has done. The Master is evil because he wants to conquer the universe. Well, Karzan's evil is motivated by the fact he just simply does not care. I mean that is really evil.

This is where my Chirstmas Specials rank at.
  1. The End of Time (Also my favorite story)
  2. A Christmas Carol
  3. The Christmas Invasion
  4. The Next Doctor
  5. The Runaway Bride
  6. Voyage of the Damned

Now if I ranked the episodes based on Christmas content than A Christmas Carol would be swapped with The End of Time.

One thing I loved about the episode that A Christmas Carol was fun. We needed a fun episode, since the End of Time was very tragic. Also I give props to Moffat for actually making a Christmas Story than a story with a Christmas in the background.

LGBT Community Thread

Last edited by drvaleyard; 12-28-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood