Thread: Fiction: "My Life, Reborn" Part 1
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Johnpaul

Default "My Life, Reborn" Part 1

My Life, Reborn
Live for the moment. I believe this now more than ever because you never know what may happen tomorrow. My life is a complex one; I have endured hardships that no person should ever have to endure. I used to be an ordinary person, and then one day it all changed. The following story is my recollection of that event based on my own accounts and studies. I must warn you, what you are about to read you may find disturbing, the faint of heart should not read this story.
My story begins on May 15th, 1998. I woke up to see the light shining through my window; I was overcome with a feeling of peace. As I turned over to see the clock, all the relaxation turned to panic, it was 9:00, and I was two hours late for work. I threw off my sheets as I ran to the bathroom in one swift motion. I looked to see how presentable I was in the mirror and was disappointed to see that I was nowhere near my normal. This would take me about an hour normally but today I didn’t have much time. I am usually a pretty decent looking person, long blonde hair that frays at the ends, short at about 5’9, blue eyes, and a petite body, and I am Caucasian. I turned on the shower and ran my hair through the water, in my haste I forgot that my hot water takes a few seconds to kick in, needless to say it was a shock that added to my panicked state. I dried my hair while applying my make-up, not an easy task. So I did get semi presentably at some point and rushed off to work. I live in New York so like most people, I don’t drive. Fortunately for me I had some much energy I needed to burn some of it off.
As I arrived at the office, my work friend Sheila greeted me at the door. “Jordan, I hate to tell you this, but you’ve been fired and are not allowed back on company property”. “That’s a little harsh for being late”, I said. We, or should I say Sheila, work at an office that manages the production of elderly medical supplies. “The boss said that this isn’t you first time to be late, and they suspect you are stealing from the company”. It’s true, I had taken a few things, mainly office supplies and other various little items like that, but I had no idea my job was in jeopardy. “I’m sorry but I have to get back to work”, Sheila said, “but I want you to have this card, my friend has told me that they are a good business, in fact they are our leading competitors, think of it as a way to get you revenge.” “Thank you Sheila, it means a lot that you would help me now when I need it most.”
Sheila went back inside and I walked back to my apartment. I slowly walked down the street, feeling as though everyone was watching me march home in shame. I looked at the card, “Jones Medical Supplies”, seem simple but sounds legitimate. There was a number at the bottom for the staff development manager. I should call him and set up an interview. I did so once I was home and a date was set for tomorrow, something was odd though, all I said was “Hi, my name is Jordan Brown and I’m looking for a position on your team.” He then asked,”Are you female”. To which I replied yes and then he gave me an interview time right then and hung up. I wondered if this was some kind of sexist maniac, but then I thought that would mean I could haggle I higher pay so I didn’t let it bother me. Simple enough, I went to bed early that night, I didn’t want to make the same mistake I made this morning.

End Part 1

Last edited by Johnpaul; 08-22-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote