Thread: Doctor Who
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #1563
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughtwrangler View Post
I think we've already well established that this was clearly just Moffat filling in some back story. I think as long as Moffat is at the helm it will need to be accepted that he is going to work towards a series arc rather than entertaining individual episodes. If that's the case, why can't they be written that way. I'd be happy watching 12 episodes of a continuing theme rather than what we had this week which was a whole lot of back story crammed into one episode.

Can't have it both ways. Either make each week it's own adventure (with occasional 2 parter) or make the series one long story which wouldn't be as good in my opinion but more acceptable than having episodes like this.

On a related note Moffat is a genius at putting precursors and hints into stories. Back in Series 5 episode 4 (First part of the weeping angels story) the Doctor and Amy are walking around the delirium archive, the final resting place of the headless monks. I laughed when I heard that last night.
I agree. RTD wasn't subtle but he kept the arc in the background of all stories until the finale and then it was the main focus. This time around, it's the arc that's being thrown in our faces.

And sorry to ruin the magic but Moffat didn't plan that one; he, like RTD used to do, decided it was a fun thing to reuse and bring to life. I'm starting to feel the same with River... has he planned this well ahead, or is he making it up as he goes along?
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote