Thread: Fiction: Shadow of the Cross
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
foow

Thanks! I just wish more people would post here... kinda feel like I'm writing for an audience that isn't there...

Chapter 2: The Nearness (Part 2)

The service continued on for another half hour, during which time I couldn't get a word in with Josh. I could feel his eyes on me every few seconds, but this was church and we sure couldn't've talked with hundreds of others surrounding us. What I really wanted—hell, needed—was to get some alone time with him.

The sermon was once again about sin, which I was beginning to think was either a staple of the church, or just the result of hiring a lazy preacher. I zoned out for most of it, with all my thoughts going to the beautiful human being that sat not even a foot away from me. I shifted my body weight towards him, to the point where I could faintly hear his breathing. I kept myself calm, breathing in and out through my nose, and, in doing so, taking in his wonderful aroma. I normally hate body spray, but on him it was the finest of perfumes.

“Now, in order to combat sin, we all need someone to lean on. So I want everyone here to find an accountability buddy.” That got my attention. I sat up slightly and listened carefully. “I know there are hundreds of awesome young people who are devoted to God in this very room, so why not make a new friend? Get someone to walk with on your journey with God, who will pray with you and listen to you and laugh and cry with you when you need it.” Holy crap. Was this guy reading my mind? “So go ahead and do that, and we'll get the worship band up here.”

I had to remain in control. If I spun towards Josh too quickly, he'd think I was too eager and suspect something. But if I was too slow, someone else might grab him as their buddy. Trying to seem relaxed, I leisurely turned to Josh, only to find him looking right back at me. “He said we should make a new friend. Wanna be mine?”

I grinned. “Definitely! You seem like a cool guy. I'd be honoured to be your accountabilibuddy.”

He laughed. “I like that term. Why don't we meet up after the service so we can get to know each other a bit better?”

“I'd lov—er, like it. It'd be great.” Couldn't come across as too strong. But, man oh man, did I want to get to know him.

The worship service ended after a few more songs, and Josh took a few minutes to say goodbye to his friends before motioning for us to get out of the church. I waved to Mark and Ryan, who'd clearly chosen each other as buddies, and followed my new friend out the sanctuary, through the halls and into the warm autumn air. A wooden bench stood at the edge of the church's parking lot. We both took a seat and watched as the worshippers streamed out of the church.

“So,” Josh said, brushing his straight black hair out of his right eye, only to have it fall right back over, “it's Jord, right?”

“You bet. And you're Steve, right?”

He laughed and playfully punched my shoulder. My jeans grew a bit tighter. “You're hilarious. So tell me about yourself. You're a student here?”

I nodded. “Yep. Doing Engineering at school. But I'm from New Hampshire initially. What else... uh, I have a younger brother and older sister, and my parents are both TV producers.”

“Cool! Any shows I'd know of?”

“I doubt it, unless you watch a lot of home renovation shows.”

“Can't say I do. What about your spiritual journey? What's that like?”

I felt my entire body freeze up. I hadn't been prepared for that, so I had no good answer to give. “Umm, that's a good question.” My mind raced through every mention of religion I'd ever heard. Damn it, I should have paid more attention during the sermon. “Well, uh, I guess I'm always trying to go further in my walk with Jesus.” Yeah. That works. Heavy on the metaphor. “And sometimes it feels like a run, you know?”

“Definitely.” He seemed convinced. “But it's so important that we keep Jesus at our side. I don't know how I could have made it without Him.”

That piqued my curiosity. “What do you mean? What's your, you know, spiritual journey been like?”

He paused and looked right into my eyes with his piercing blue ones, the pupils wide and full of emotion. I felt my breath being drawn away involuntarily. “It's a long story, and my mom's gonna be here soon, so I'll tell the gist of it. I didn't have any faith at all until I was 13, just a few years ago.” He looked down, squinting and clenching his jaw, as though he were in pain. “My dad died then, just a few days after my birthday.”

“Oh my Go-gosh.” I caught myself just in time. “I'm so sorry. What happened?”

“Hit by a drunk driver on his way to pick me up from a party.” He looked back up at me, his eyes watering. “It was my own fault. I shouldn't have been there.”

It was like my heart was being yanked out of me. I had to fight every urge to just reach out and give him a hug. “You can't say that!” I said. “It wasn't your fault at all. Please don't tell me you blame yourself for it...”

He shook his head. “No. I've gotten past that. But here's the thing: God used that to speak to me. After my dad's funeral, a pastor came up and started talking about how much Jesus cares for me and how He will comfort me if I turn to Him.” He sniffed loudly. “So I did. And I felt this incredible peace come over me, you know? Like God was literally hugging me. So one night, when I was all alone in a park, just crying out to God to give me my dad back, I realized that if God was going to be there for me, I'd have to be there for Him as well. So I gave my life to Him, and now I know I'm going to Heaven.”

“Wow.” I really was awestruck. My skeptical mind was giving me all the other reasons Josh could have felt the presence of the divine, but I shooed them away. This was pretty incredible. “Josh, that is an amazing story. I really feel touched.”

He managed a smile. “Thanks. It hasn't been easy, but I know God's always guiding me, as I'm sure you do as well.” He looked over as a car entered the parking lot. “Darn it, that's my mom. Do you have a cell? We should text and meet up again, maybe before next week?”

“Sounds great.” We exchanged numbers, as well as last names, and promised to get in touch within the next few days. I waved to his mom as he got in the car, to show that I wasn't threatening, and she waved back.

As he drove away, I sat in silence, trying to process everything I'd just experienced. One thing was for sure: I was in love with him. His tragic story just made him all the more appealing; I just wanted to grab him in a tight embrace and tell him everything was going to be okay. I hoped that chance would come soon.

“Isn't he a bit young for you?” I looked up to see Ryan and Mark standing in front of the bench.

I stood up and threw a light jab at them. “He's a good kid. Got a great testic—testimony. Or whatever you guys call it.”

We got into Mark's car and drove back to campus. Five minutes in, my phone beeped.

Josh had already sent me a text.
foow is offline   Reply With Quote