Thread: Doctor Who
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #1572
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
RTD isn't hit and miss and i entirely disagree with your judgements of the episodes. I can't defend 42 i'll give you that but Hungry earth was let down by mostly by the Costume department.
Day One- Brilliant.
Cyberwoman- Loved it.
Countrycide- My favorite episode of Torchwood.
End of Days- Really good. Fudged ending though but again not much he could've done.
Kiss kiss, bang bang- Above Average.
Adrift- Didn't like but intresting none the less.
Fragments- The best one of Series two. Really nice to look at the past and look where they are now.
Exit Wounds- Terrific.
Fair enough RTD is very hit and miss though; one week he gave us "New Earth" and then he'd give us something like "Midnight".

"The Hungry Earth" wanted to be a lot of things but failed on every level. The mining operation harked back to the Pertwee era... except this one had about 5 workers. The costumes, as you say, were dreadful. The pacing was all over the place (and that's because of the direction and the writing). Three people sat around a table discussing possibilities of sharing the planet on behalf of the entire human race? And such an important scene brushed off in a montage of about 20 seconds? The bad writing; how can we make this epic... oooh, yeah, let's have an ominous voiceover/narration.

It was all a poor show.

"Cyberwoman" was dreadful. Firstly there's no logic in the Cyberwoman... absolutely none of the Cybermen had breasts; I don't care if they were down to using spare parts, a woman like that would not have been converted like that. It was basically a shoddy excuse to do "oooh something different" and it was crap. Represented what Torchwood wanted to be; it wanted to be dark and new and adult. Instead, it was just shock!horror!OMG! and plain wrong. Plus, aside from the Cyberwoman... you've got the pithy fight scenes, Torchwood who have no idea she's even down there, and *terrible* acting all-round (but mostly from Gareth as Ianto breaks down... into completely awful acting).

"Countrycide", again, wanted to be dark and adult. Instead, it was blood and gore for the hell of it. Torchwood is dark, so, wheeeyyy, let's make it actually dark and bloody and horrific and, yeah, let's just go to that stereotype and not actually make Torchwood 'adult'. (Torchwood doing 'adult' right is basically CoE.)

The rest we pretty much agree on. But, those three episodes aside, it's still not a list of top-rating stories.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote