View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
m55uk4younger
Distinguished Member

Default Compassion turns to a whole lot more

The start:-

I made my daily trip to work passing a young person sitting in a shop doorway, how long had they been there, who knows, I did not, unnoticed by the busy people on their daily grind wrapped up in their own lives.

The weather was turning colder and damper now as summer turned to colder days and shorter hours of sunlight. The person, male or female it was hard for me to tell as the person had a very pretty face and the clothing they wore gave very little away.

I stopped, smiled, "Hey can I get you a warm drink or whatever, water, soda?"

The person looked up at me, our eyes met for the first time, "That would be good thank you, coffee, white, no sugar if it is not too much trouble".

"I am on it, so stay there, I'ill be back, Asta La Vista I joked". I got a smile, that was good start!

I got the coffee, I got a polite "Thank you" and I got on with my day. I did this for a few days and it felt good to help a fellow human being down on their luck.

Days passed into weeks and I thought nothing of my act of kindness until one wet day the person was no longer there in the doorway. They had moved on I guessed maybe they got a break for the better, I wondered.

The weather got wetter and colder then to my utter horror that pretty face now sported dark bruises to the face, one eye and a cut bottom lip. I was shocked and horrified to how this had happened.

"Hi, remember me? How do you fancy some food to go with the coffee and maybe an ear to listen not judge you, nothing fancy the big yellow M around the corner? A no is fine too and I fully understand!"

I waited and held out my hand to help then arise from the cold floor on which they sat hoping for a positive reply.

I then saw a tear in the person's eye as they began to cry before it was quickly wiped away. An arm reached towards me and I grasped their hand tightly.

Soon we were in the warm sat at a quiet table at the back, I went to order the drinks and food. For the first time I felt attracted to this person, I did not know or was it just pity for them? Only time would tell!

To be continued...
m55uk4younger is offline   Reply With Quote