View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
sarahsarah
getDare Sweetheart

Chapter 3

The car pulled up outside the bar and Alex calmly stepped out into the cool air. “You sure you don’t want to go anywhere a little nicer Soph?” Alex asked. The bar was always friendly enough, great staff, nice atmosphere however she did feel a little dressed up for the place. It didn’t bother Alex too much; it would probably attract the attention she craved but Sophia wasn’t always as keen to have stranger’s glances all night.
“It’s great Alex, will you relax, and I only want a few casual drinks with my best girl.” Sophia smiled and they both made their way towards the entrance.
“Don’t call me girl, it makes me feel young.” Alex replied. She hated being on the receiving end of pet names and Sophia knew it. She would constantly try to wind her up with them.
“Would you prefer me to call you mistress like your little pet?” Sophia taunted. “Come on, let’s get a drink in, you know I can’t resist a nice cocktail.”
“And I assume I’m buying the drinks?” Alex queried already knowing the answer.

Sophia laughed. “Of course you are. It’s one of the best perks of dating the boss. You are the one who likes to control everything and the one with the money; the one who pays me less in a year than she makes in a week.” Sophia loved to wind Alex up about this. In fact Sophia’s salary was incredibly high considering her age, short time at the company and socio-economic background. She knew part of this was down to Alex taking a shine to her but Sophia also knew she was more than capable of the job.
“So that’s one of the best perks? Are you only with me for the free stuff?” Alex leaned in close to Sophia so she was practically breathing into her ear. “Is that all you see me for?” She lightly kissed her cheek and brushed her hand across her. Sophia shook a little.
“Of course that’s not all” she stammered slightly, briefly losing her self-control. “But my god, it’s a nice bonus. Now can we go inside already, I’m freezing my tits off out here?”

Alex chuckled. Sophia always had a way with removing all sophistication and tension, and she loved her for it, it just relaxed every situation, one of the reasons she enjoyed having her help her at the company. They made their way to the bar and Alex smiled when she saw Jane was serving. Jane was one of the nicest people she’d met, never one to cause any arguments and had built up a good relationship with Alex. “The usual for me please Jane and whatever my lovely friend would like.”
“A strawberry daiquiri for me please” Sophia added. The two girls were already attracting a few glances from some of the guys at the bar and Sophia was looking slightly uncomfortable.
“I’ll pay for those drinks ladies.” A guy to the left stood up from his table, clearly trying to impress his friends, hoping to show how easy it was to pick up a nice young girl.
“I wish I could let you do that, but I don’t really want to; so why don’t you move back to your friends over there and leave us in peace.” Alex replied. Sophia smirked at her response; it was amazing how quickly she managed to humiliate people.
“Dan by the way” the guy says causing both girls to roll their eyes. “Haven’t I seen you girls somewhere before.” Sophia sighed. It was always the same with guys, they just wouldn’t leave you alone. Jane brought the drinks at this point and Alex took a quick sip of her martini before replying.
“Yes you have, that’s why we don’t go there anymore.” Sophia and Jane couldn’t help but laugh at this as Dan’s friends burst into laughter as he trudged back to join them.

All Alex wanted was a friendly night with Soph and no matter where they went guys wouldn’t get the message. OK, it must be difficult to spot a lesbian couple but it still frustrated her massively. She took another sip of the martini. She loved the taste of them, by far her favourite drink, sophisticated but delicious. A couple of girls joined them at the bar. “Wow you really are one in a million” one of them said, clearly having witnessed the failed attempts.
“Yep, and so were his chances.” This got another burst of laughter from the girls and Alex started to relax into the setting. Sophia was already near finishing her drink to the surprise of Alex. My god she could drink quickly, at this rate she might have to carry her home. The laughter continued until a glass smashed to the floor on the other side of the bar causing all of them to jump. The four girls and Jane quickly turned to see the commotion as a man stormed past two people and straight through the exit. A woman was shaking her head embarrassed, just staring bleakly at the phone in her hands.

“Alex”, Sophia tapped her on the shoulder and pointed in the general direction of the fuss. “Was that Ken who just stormed out, Ken from shipping.” Alex tried to get a better look at the girl who was texting away.
“Yeah, must have been, because that’s Sue.” Alex finally made the connection; they were clearly out for a few drinks as work colleagues, but who knows what caused the problems. “Do you mind if we go join her Soph, I could do with talking to Sue, and she clearly looks like she could do with the company? She still has a full drink. Jane, could you bring us another of the same when you get the chance. Thanks”
“Not at all, I always liked Sue, she seems really friendly.” The two girls said goodbye to the women at the bar and made their way over to the table. The lighting was a little dimmer in the corner but there was no doubting it was definitely her employee. Sue was a star turn at the company, always hardworking, thoughtful, good ideas and a great personality in the workplace. If only all could be like her.

“Do you mind if we join you?”Alex asked indicating the empty seats at the table. Sue jumped in shock at hearing the voice of her boss. She looked up confused for a second then nodded quickly.
“No, not at all, please, I could do with someone to talk to.” Alex and Sophia sat themselves at the table and smiled finishing off their drinks.
“So how’s the night been?” Sophia asked, curious to find out what on earth had just happened here.
Sue sighed, “Well, it’s been interesting to say the least. Three of us, me Ken and Tina came out for a drink after work. Ken kind of roped us into it but he’s seemed lonely recently and he is sort of our boss.”
“Well, maybe for now” Alex said before quickly changing back to the subject. “So that was Ken with you who just stormed out, and Tina is the new girl right?”
“Yeah she is. Like I said the three of us were here for some drinks, but Tina came up with an excuse and bolted after one. It was really awkward, barely even a conversation. I’d have gone too but I felt a bit sorry for him so agreed to another. Before you know it he just says he has to leave and storms out knocking into people and knocking that glass over. I have no idea what happened but I thought I might as well finish my drink before getting a taxi. What did you mean when you just said for now? You’re not going to sack him are you?”

Jane arrived with the drinks and quickly left back to the bar. This probably wasn’t the right time to have this conversation but Alex didn’t really care. “Well, Ken is a nightmare at the moment. He has been for a few months. Every day he looks worse, his ideas are OK but he literally can barely even put them across to me one on one, practically just wasting my time. He’s a constant reminder of how my father ran the company and he’s been slowly declining ever since, but no I’m not going to fire him.” She took another long sip of the martini and relaxed again resting her hand on top of Sophia’s. Sophia gripped it gently and smiled.

“So, if you don’t mind me asking, if you’re not sacking him then what is happening?” Sue asked, trying desperately not to step out of line despite the boss seeming friendly enough. She didn’t really like Ken, he was a bit annoying, controlling and a general pain, but he had suffered quite a bit lately, and didn’t know how deep the problems went. She didn’t want to see him thrown out onto the streets.

Alex smiled to her. “Of course I don’t mind you asking, I brought it up. I was going to call you into my office tomorrow morning to discuss this but why not here in a friendly place. I’m not planning to fire Ken, but I am going to demote him and promote you to the position, providing there are no problems in the board meeting tomorrow. You’ve earned it as one of my best employees, I know Ken is your colleague but I know you will do a far better job than he ever could.” Alex tried to quickly gauge the reaction from Sue but it took very little effort. The confused look on her face quickly changed to a massive smile of happiness.
“Are you serious, me, shipping manger” Alex just nodded and smiled. “Wow, thank you, this is amazing.” Any thoughts Sue had about Ken had swum a long way from her mind. Her family would be so proud and happy, and the pay rise which would come with it. Alex was satisfied; she was a little bit concerned Sue might care a bit too much for Ken but that seemingly wasn’t going to be a problem.

They finished the current round of drinks and Alex ordered a bottle of champagne to celebrate. “Sue, I know you’re excited but I’d like you to keep this to yourself for just a few more days. There is still the meeting tomorrow which should go fine as I am still the majority shareholder, so whatever I say basically goes, and then I’ll be meeting with all members of your department the day after individually to announce the changes. You can’t tell anyone before that, especially anybody working within the company. Understood”
“Clearly, thank you again. It means a lot to me.” Alex just smiled and raised her glass of champagne. Sue and Tina followed suit.
“To the beginning of something special”