Thread: Ending Abuse?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
kenneth.s

i've never personally experience domestic violence before but hopefully the suggestions will help:
- call up the local Women's Protection Society or Domestic Violence Hotline or something, for counselling and support
- build your case: use your phone or camera to record his screamings/violent acts, i.e before and after pictures of abusive behaviour towards your mom or the house, etc
- protect yourself; keep your doors locked, keep you mom's door locked until he has calmed down
- emergency numbers: when it happens, call up your friends' parents, neighbours, trusted family friends to act as either witness or to prove threat to the abuser should he want to do anything worse (power in numbers or having a stranger in the house might alert the abuser that he is being watched) so, have their numbers ready at hand
- include also police and government agencies hotline

sometimes emotion gets in the way, i.e forgiving the other person time after time.
Instead, show her the before and after pictures, tell her the facts about the consequences and ask her to think rationally and logically: is this what you want for yourself, mum? for me?
(that's usually how counsellors approach the victim- showing reasons that are more worthwhile, the more important stuff/people, i.e. for the sake her children, finance, future, etc)

oops, sorry momo, i havent actually answered any of your questions. >_>
take care, all the best~
kenneth.s is offline   Reply With Quote