Thread: Fiction: The Field Trip
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #27
Wordsmiff
Distinguished Member

Default Part 13

Part 13

The rest of the afternoon went by fairly smoothly and without further incidents. The pupils were split into four groups again and each group was assigned to one teacher. By the time the coach arrived at four forty-five, they were all packed and ready to return to the hostel.

Mike drove his own car behind the coach and, about a quarter of a mile from Atterdale Hall, he turned off and made his way into Atterdale village to pick up a couple of bottles of wine. He was determined to see his plan through, not because of Jane’s stupid dare but rather because he actually fancied Jill Farrell and he wanted to see how far he could get with her.

He arrived back at Atterdale Hall just in time for the evening meal and, leaving the wine in his car he went straight to the dining room. During the meal, he caught Jill’s eye again and exchanged another smile with her. This tim, however, he thought he saw more than just a friendly smile.

Following the meal, he went up to the dorm that he shared with John Carson. Carson wasn’t there, so he dialled Jane Powell’s number.

“Are you still going out this evening?” he asked her on the phone.

“Yeah,” she replied, “That’s right. I’m going out for a walk. Be back about nine-thirty. Call you then.”

He got the message. He went down to his car and retrieved his wine. On the way in, he met Jane coming out.

“Is she in the dorm?” he asked.

Jane nodded. “Reading a book. She could do with a bit of company.”

Mike held up one of his wine bottles.

“Be careful with her,” Jane said. “Don’t get her too drunk. It’s a long day tomorrow.”

“Yeah, okay,” Mike said. He watched Jane, as she exited the building and then went up the back stairwell towards the female dorms.

When he got to the door of Jill’s dorm, he felt the cocoons in his stomach hatching out into fully-fledged butterflies but it was too late to back out now. He knocked on the door.

“Hello?” Jill’s voice said.

Mike opened the door and popped his head round. “Only me,” he said, “Are you decent?”

“Yes,” Jill said.

“Oh, what a shame,” Mike joked, “Shall I come back later.”

“What do you want?” she said.

Mike went in and closed the door behind him. “I was wondering if you fancied a bit of company,” he said.

Jill was lying on the bed, her head propped up on some pillows, with a book in her hand. She wore a polo top and a short pleated skirt.

“John’s gone out somewhere,” Mike added, “And I just saw Jane disappearing through the door.”

“Yes,” Jill said, “She said she’s going out for a long walk.”

“You don’t think her and John have gone for a tryst, do you?” Mike approached the bed and held up the wine. “Fancy a drink?”

Jill put her book down beside her and swung her legs round.

“Got a cup?” Mike asked.

Jill produced a couple of plastic cups from her cabinet. “Not too much for me,” she said, holding out her cup.

“So, how’s it going?” Mike poured her a full cup of wine. “What did you get your kids doing today?”

“Just walking the hills,” Jill said, “Getting a bit of exercise and fresh air before the real Lake District weather starts.”

“I know what you mean,” Mike said. He poured himself half a cup of wine and put the bottle down. “Can I sit on the bed?”

Jill patted the bedspread beside her and, taking that as a good sign, Mike sat down.

“Where did you get the wine from?” Jill took a sip.

“Atterdale,” Mike said, “It goes down well after a hard day’s work.”

They chatted for a little while longer and drank a little more wine before Mike saw a possible chance. He offered Jill some more wine.

“No, thanks,” Jill said, “If I have any more, I may not be responsible for what I do.” Jill put her cup down on the floor and reached up to rub her left shoulder with her right hand. “God, my muscles are aching after that walk.” She lay back on the bed and closed her eyes.

“How about a massage?” It just came out of Mike’s mouth. He immediately regretted it.

“Sorry?” Jill opened her eyes again.

“A massage,” he repeated. He couldn’t go back now.

“What do you know about massaging?” she asked.

“I’m a biology teacher,” he said, “I know where all the muscles are.”

She sighed. “Okay.” She sat up again.

Mike was surprised by her consent. He was expecting a slap round the face. It must be the drink, he guessed.

This was the point of no return.

To be continued...
Wordsmiff is offline   Reply With Quote