View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
jlstockton25
getDare Devil

Book Chapter 1

As closing time approached, I couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching me.

Finals were coming up, and tonight was spent like every night this past two weeks had been: in the library, my nose buried in my books. The library was my sanctuary, the place I felt most at ease. I’d always felt ill at ease around people, so the friendly librarian, Alison, was the closest thing I had to a friend. I was so focused on my studies, I spent every spare moment I had in the library until they closed.

After particularly excruciating study sessions, if the weather was nice enough I walked through the park to get home rather than ride the bus. Getting out in the open air always helped me clear my head, and one of the reasons I bought my house was its proximity to the library. Those quiet walks were relaxing, and a welcome distraction from going home to an empty house. Most of my friends had gotten married or moved away; even if I did somehow manage to connect with someone, my studies left me absolutely no time for socializing, let alone a boyfriend.

As closing time approached, I couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching me. I had been having the same feeling the past few weeks, but always pushed it to the back of my mind, not bothering to look. I knew I was being silly, that no one would be looking at me. I always thought myself plain at best, and lately had been doing my best to be unnoticeable. I once again resisted the urge to look around, and forced myself to focus on my studying in the last few minutes before the library closed. I didn’t have anywhere to be, but from my small conversations in passing with Alison, I knew she was married and liked to get home.

When I looked up and saw it was already 22:00, I frowned and closed my book. The nagging feeling I was being watched left me frustrated I couldn't focus as much as usual, and tonight I felt it even stronger than usual. I internally decided next time, if it happened again, I would try to see if I could spot anyone watching me. I knew I was wrong, that no one was, but I needed to be sure. I began gathering all my things and said goodnight to Alison as I set off to the park.

. . . darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

Last edited by jlstockton25; 04-17-2015 at 06:48 PM.
jlstockton25 is offline   Reply With Quote