Thread: Spelling
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #42
xdressslave

Send a message via MSN to xdressslave Send a message via Yahoo to xdressslave
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrip View Post
If english is not your first language, then it is excuseable.

Otherwise, learn to type right! I don't mind the odd misspelling, we all get our fingers in a twist occasionaly and a typo appears, or of course, you don't actually know how to spell the word.

Just before clicking that "Submit Reply" button, does it really hurt to take 2 minutes out and check your spellings?

MSN spellings such as "u" for "you", "l8rs" for "laters" etc, are for MSN. 1337 speak is to be banned outright.

On a forum, such as this one, people are to be intelligible and sensible and have a certain amount of etiquette for other forum users.

Personally, I type like this 90% of the time. I don't use much text speek or MSN slang as I feel that doing so is killing the english language.

Here's an idea, from now on all badly spelt posts shall be either ignored, moved to trash, or the subject shall be altered so that the poster corrects themselves if he/she wants the information they want.

Who's with me? Yay or nay?

EDIT:

I also have to hide this from my family, but typing well in the first place isn't that hard. We're not asking you to check every word with a dictionary, but all we want is you to type properly in the first place. I would expect people to be able to do so with 99% of their words. The odd misspelling is excuseable.
I 100% agree!

I don't mind words occasionally misspelled, I'm not a nazi like that. But, what really grinds my gears, is people who don't use punctuation.

Sum dont even use a comma or anything like that so theyre toal paragraf that dey write just go on an on an u hav to reread things and try nd break up what dey is sayin just so u cn grasp the point of dem making dat post in de first place

Also, depp or another system op (aka Admin) should be able to use the bad words filters to try and prevent some of the SMS talk being on the forums. Simple search and replace features would replace all words u, r and gr8 into you, are and great respectively. Would make the forums look alot more cleaner, and of course easier to access for international visitors.

**Edit: I originally directed this post against userben. But after reading his post above, I have edited that out, because I think that people who have a disability should not be discouraged to post. Perhaps though, for these people, I think it is moderators responsibilities to ensure that the forums read properly for all users.

I think this can be expanded upon. Because mods just generally see their role as locking topics/moving topics to other forums, etc. But they don't go even further. A moderators job, is to ensure that the forums contents are legible as well. So mods should use their powers of editing posts, so that they can fix up peoples bad grammer. I think grammer is more important to fix up than spelling. Because grammer makes the forums much easier to read.

Correct grammer would also increase getDares activity because more users from other non-speaking languages can effectivly use translation tools to read getDare correctly. Web spiders would also be able to index more pages, and increase the flow of traffic of visitors coming into getDare.

Last edited by xdressslave; 11-22-2007 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Didnt want to offend someone disabled