View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
chocolatier

Default Magaluf 2017: Charlotte's Story

Author's note: Long-time lurker, first-time poster. This is the first time I've ever written a story of this length, so feedback would be appreciated. This is the first part of quite a number of parts, and there's a possibility of a sequel. Once I've finished the story, I may bless you with a picture of the "Charlotte" that I've based the main character on

Summer 2017. A-Levels behind her, University ahead. But academia was far from Charlotte's mind as she stood on the "booze cruise" boat off the coast of Magaluf.

It hadn't been her idea to come here, of course. It had been Megan's. Well, Megan, Ellie and Morgan had ganged up on Charlotte to persuade her to come. It would be a fun way to celebrate the end of A-Levels, they said. A fun way to spend time together before parting ways for September.

A "booze cruise" was definitely more Megan's scene than Charlotte's. Charlotte had always been the most innocent one of the group. Innocent in many different areas. Alcohol, sex, drugs, criminal records: Charlotte's experience was at best limited, and worst non-existent.

So to say she was feeling nervous at 3.05pm that afternoon would be an understatement.

"Wheel of Luck." That was the name of the game. Again, she hadn't exactly chosen freely to be one of the contestants. That choice had been, once again, Megan's. Charlotte's three friends had once again ganged up on her to persuade her to play. Within a few moments of the DJ asking for players, Charlotte was finding herself being dragged to the front of the deck. There wasn't a lot she could do.

And now she was standing third in line, out of four, in front of a slightly intoxicated crowd of 18-25s. Next to them was the DJ, and next to him the "Wheel of Luck." Twenty-four different segments, some red, most blue. Red segments had the name of a prize on it. Blue ones had the name of a dare or a forfeit. Except the names didn't give much away about what the forfeit involved.

The top red prize, the segment that made it all worthwhile, was a free holiday for four to Magaluf 2018. And the rules of the game meant the four players would keep playing until someone won the top prize. Charlotte was desparately hoping she would get lucky with the first spin. But, as we all know, these kinds of games are always fixed, and there was no way that was going to happen.

"And now," announced the DJ, "let's meet today's players!"
chocolatier is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to chocolatier for this post: