View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Ancient Brit

Default Sexual Offences Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by uselesswimp View Post
The offence known as “indecent exposure” (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003) makes its a crime for a man to expose his genitals. The crime is precise and - for a conviction - the exposure must be intentional and the culprit must intend that some one will see “and be caused alarm or distress.
There is no mention of "indecent" exposure in this section of the SOA.
The actual wording is:

66 Exposure (1) A person commits an offence if—
(a) he intentionally exposes his genitals, and
(b) he intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm or distress.

The law deals with subtelty of wording. The wording in the SOA makes it clear you must be intending to cause alarm and distress, not that someone sees you and they are caused alarm and distress.

It was also made clear in the discussion that took place in Parliament before this clause was enacted that it did not apply to naturist activity and it wasn't an offence to be naked in a public place.

There are other sections dealing with sexual activity, for instance Section 71 makes it clear that any sexual activity in a public toilet is illegal and Section 12 makes it illegal to cause a child to watch a Sexual act.
Sexual activity in a public place isn't necessarily illegal, but it is much more complex than the Exposure section, so you would be best to avoid sexual activity in a public place where you may be seen.

You don't have to be naked to break the Sexual Offences Act. A lot of contributers to this site seem to think nudity in public is illegal (which it isn't) but they are happy to suggest sexual dares, not involving nudity, which are illegal!! In fact they could be breaking the law themselves (Section 10) if they induce a child to perform a Sexual Act.

Ancient Brit