Thread: Fiction: The Child
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Officelover
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Exclamation

It was the biggest scandal I can remember. Everyone talked about it, except the very old. My friends talked about forming a search party, scouring the streets of Omelas until we brought it back. I myself went by myself to the sewer, and called his name. He wasn't down there as far as I could tell. My parents tried to comfort me, saying, “Everything's going to be okay. We'll find your toy, and when we do, you'll torture it worse than you ever have?”
I said yes, but I knew I'd never see it again.
I asked an old man why he was so calm about the Child's disappearance. He muttered, “I've seen it all before. Every Child has to leave someday.”
He had been the Child as long as I could remember, but apparently he'd only been there for four years. I'd only found out about the Child for the first time when I was thirteen. I was sixteen when he left, and I believe that Shitface was twenty-two. I cried every night, and one time my mother walked in on me. She said, “Don't worry, darlin'. We'll get another Child for you to enjoy.”
It was true. After seven days, the people of Omelas stopped looking. They quieted down, to a low mutter, about how the next Child was to be chosen. It felt like so long since the last time they'd chosen a child, some of them forgot exactly how it was done.
It was supposed to be chosen at random, or “by fate”. Everyone between the ages of fifteen and eighteen was required to enter their name into a book. The librarians, who were generally considered knowledgable about such things, drew lots. The process, apparently, was arduously long—only one name was eliminated at a time. The library doors were closed to the public for upwards of three days.
Sometime just before the summer festival, almost a month after The Child had gone missing, they went into session. Though there was merry song as they went into the library, tensions were high as the door was sealed. Who would the evil transfer to? Who was evil already?
Five days after they went into the library, the town was summoned in the street outside of it.
“Ladies and gentlemen,” the head librarian started, “this has been a very powerful experience for us. We are finally abe to name the Child who's been hiding in our midst.”
Silence fell over the cheering crowd.
“Yalda Knossos.”

I'd really appreciate more comments. I'd like to know where you think the story is headed, what you like about it, what you'd like to see done to Yalda, etc...
Officelover is offline   Reply With Quote